blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 01:11:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272676 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16724 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  analyse this!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: analyse this!  (Read 30606 times)
Claw75

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2008, 10:23:27 AM »

This hand has been going round in my head the last couple of days.  I've discussed it with a few people and it seems like it's one of those that everyone would play differently.  I'd welcome comments on how I played it.

Live game - blinds 50/100.  All involved in hand have about 4000 chips.  I have a rebuy (only one allowed) for a further 4000 chips behind.

I am dealt  in the cut off.  Folded to me, and I raise to 400.  Button (weaker player) calls as does big blind (solid player).  Flop is  three clubs.  BB checks, I bet 600, button folds and BB flat calls.  Turn is  .  BB checks to me again and I bet 1500.  BB then moves all in over the top for an extra 2000 and I call.

Thoughts please?

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 11:19:38 AM »

Before i give any analysis i want to ask 3 questions.

Stack sizes of oppos?
Why did you make it more than the pot pre flop?
Why did you bet less than 1/2 pot on the flop?

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 11:23:24 AM »

and Claire, talk us through the turn bet. Didn't want to take a free card? Solid player has called on flop, turn gives you outs but you are probably behind to a made hand of some sort (which granted you might think you can get him off)

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 11:24:31 AM »

Before i give any analysis i want to ask 3 questions.

Stack sizes of oppos?
Why did you make it more than the pot pre flop?
Why did you bet less than 1/2 pot on the flop?

we've all got 4kish.
I was pretty sure the button would call whatever and I'd rather play the pot post flop with just him (albeit out of position) rather than 3 handed with the bb.
I thought that would look stronger than a pot sized or slightly less bet.  The board is not draw heavy so I'm not betting to look like I'm protecting a hand, rather building the pot.  Does that make sense?

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 11:26:35 AM »

the board is draw heavy though

KJ, K10, J10 type hands all interested in it

My eyes are open wide
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 11:29:20 AM »

and Claire, talk us through the turn bet. Didn't want to take a free card? Solid player has called on flop, turn gives you outs but you are probably behind to a made hand of some sort (which granted you might think you can get him off)

I'm hoping the turn bet will induce a fold from the BB - if not, I have outs.  The pl;ay on the turn is the main reason for posting here though - having discussed it with a few people (and not telling them how I played it) it seems to be pretty split down the middle in terms of whether they would check and take the free card or fire out another bet.  

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 11:32:03 AM »

I just don't like making it 400, if i am in the BB i am going to fold everything but good hands, and i am more likley to now re-raise on the button than flat.

You have AJh its towards the top of your range in the C/O don't narrow your oppo's range and inflate the pot all at the same time! If you never raise more than pot pre (obv excluding when you are short) then you won't go far wrong.

To me on the flop it just looks like you made an over sized raise pre with something like AK/AJ and missed and now want to somehow take it for a small bet, i am giving you no credit for a hand on the flop. Personally i would just check the flop, you have inflated it pre to the point where a CB is going to cost over a 1/4 of your stack and probably won't get through.

The turn line i really like, the K is a massive danger card to your oppo's firing again here is very good, obviously if they have JT or KQ you are getting action but you have 12 outs so all is good! However due to the previous over raise and odd CB you now leave yourself committed on the turn despite getting the absolute nuts turn card with A hi!

mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 12:10:30 PM »

I just don't like making it 400, if i am in the BB i am going to fold everything but good hands, and i am more likley to now re-raise on the button than flat.

You have AJh its towards the top of your range in the C/O don't narrow your oppo's range and inflate the pot all at the same time! If you never raise more than pot pre (obv excluding when you are short) then you won't go far wrong.

To me on the flop it just looks like you made an over sized raise pre with something like AK/AJ and missed and now want to somehow take it for a small bet, i am giving you no credit for a hand on the flop. Personally i would just check the flop, you have inflated it pre to the point where a CB is going to cost over a 1/4 of your stack and probably won't get through.

The turn line i really like, the K is a massive danger card to your oppo's firing again here is very good, obviously if they have JT or KQ you are getting action but you have 12 outs so all is good! However due to the previous over raise and odd CB you now leave yourself committed on the turn despite getting the absolute nuts turn card with A hi!

So ths is the kind of analysis you can get from flushy when you post a hand that needs any analysis  Wink

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 01:50:24 PM by mondatoo » Logged
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 12:33:55 PM »

Have to agree with this. The 400 looks like you're nicking the blinds from late position. 250 - 300 should achieve the same result as 400 without inflating the pot too much.

You would still have got the calls but now you can bet the same 600 on the flop and it's over half the pot. This looks like a strong pot building CB with a good hand as opposed to a missed flop that you're taking a standard stab at.

Once the button folds the flop you now have position so there was really no need to bet the turn and invite the all in. If he puts you on the draw he quite rightly shoves and is a decent favourite with any made hand. If he thinks you have a made hand he can shove a draw hoping to get you to fold. By betting so much here you have committed yourself and handed the initiative back to him. TBH you might as well have gone all in. What do you do if he flats here and you miss? I know he's unlikely to flat, he's either folding or shoving so you might as well get your chips in first.

You have the opportunity to control the pot at all stages of this hand which is essential when you only have A hi.

For me then I raise to about 275 pre.

I lead out about 2/3 pot on the flop then check the turn to take the free card in position.

I don't get too disappointed when I win a small pot with a nut flush because i know that if I'd missed at least I would've only lost a small pot.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 01:19:17 PM »

Not sure I like the turn bet either. The solid bb either has a made hand on the flop or he has 10-J. He doesn't want you to bet if he has a Q, but that doesn't mean he will fold it. However, betting is exactly what 2 pairs, sets and 10-J wants you to do. These hands don't want you to take a free card to bust them, so why not do that instead? Your position gives you the choice, and because your fortunes have improved on the turn I would take the card as you may not have to bluff to win anymore. Getting your whole starting stack all-in by calling with A high and 1 card to come seems a bit reckless really.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 01:31:10 PM »

I'm hoping the turn bet will induce a fold from the BB - if not, I have outs.  The pl;ay on the turn is the main reason for posting here though - having discussed it with a few people (and not telling them how I played it) it seems to be pretty split down the middle in terms of whether they would check and take the free card or fire out another bet.  

If you are hoping to induce a fold but would happily call a shove then you should always shove. You have more chance of getting your fold then.

Your problem here is if he flats and you miss. You're then screwed. I know he shouldn't flat but if he does you could end up in a world of hurt with 6.5k in the pot, 1.5k sat in front of you and A hi.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 01:34:47 PM »

300 pre, check flop, but as played double barreling is fine. call jam, suckout.

HI HELEN!
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 02:08:43 PM »

To those who check the turn what do you think your oppo has?

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 02:11:38 PM »

To those who check the turn what do you think your oppo has?

Qx...

I suppose solid player would fold Qx, goes the argument for betting/shoving

My eyes are open wide
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 02:21:51 PM »

I think you have to check the turn for the free card.

Once you've bet so much on the turn, you are committed to call. Assuming Ace is good you only need 2:1 to call, though obviously you might well need to hit the nuts.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: