blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 10:12:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272673 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: Aledkanny
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Being a Lolpro for dummies.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Being a Lolpro for dummies.  (Read 49132 times)
adiman999

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2013, 12:33:01 AM »

nice month so far Cheesy keep it up

Pseudo Irish guy luckboxing through life Wink
twitter: adiman999
Evilpengwinz

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2013, 03:09:50 AM »

14th May

I know this diary has been 99% Poker so far, so I plan to do more non-poker updates in the future, however, real life really isn't that exciting atm.

The last couple of days have been really frustrating. Although I made a few quid, it's been really, really tough to get any games running at 30NL. Sadly, many of the regulars at this level on Sky only care about themselves and seem to think short-term. There's maybe three winning regs who will play me HU when a game breaks, and the rest will either stand once the game is 3 handed, or worse, they'll untick the "Auto post blinds" button, stay long enough to grim me then leave.

Fortunately, the note section allows me to type lots of swear words in about grimmers, so I don't fall into the same trap twice.

There was an incident yesterday where I had position on a reg, the table broke, and we were 3 handed with a weaker player. The other reg sat out as he wouldn't play short handed vs me, though I'm certain he would've played the other guy HU all day long. The weaker player then stands, not wanting to play HU against me - After all, he's not bothered about win rates, is a regular losing player at this level, and if he wanted a HU game, he would've sat at a HU table. The reg stands too, so we end up with a guy giving money away who's now sitting on a waiting list on another 30NL table waiting for some action instead of playing, and one less table running. Marvellous. 

Coincidentally, I saw a thread on the Sky forums on Monday about how there's very little 30NL/40NL action on Sky during the day, and it's because of regs like this who don't understand that they have a responsibility to keep games running if they want weaker players to join and eventually lose their money to us. If that means playing a few hands of HU in a game where long term, the only winner is going to be rake, then so be it. Unfortunately, some people are too stupid to realise that it is in their own best interests to keep games running, and only see "HU vs. EvilPingu when there's people giving money away on other tables? No thanks".

Although Sky has a promotion called "Early Bird" (50% extra rakeback on 3 handed or less tables) to encourage regs to keep playing in this spot, I don't think it's working. It's not something that I even consider when trying to start a game, and from what I've seen, other regs don't care either, as it's not encouraging them to keep games running, at least not HU vs other regs, anyway.

=========

On a slightly more cheerful note, satellites for the next leg of the Sky Poker Tour in Birmingham started today. Played a couple, didn't bink a seat, so just waiting for direct buy-in to open, or make sure I get Priority Club this month (10k Poker Points) and snap e-mailing them at about five past midnight on June 1st to buy-in and hoping it hasn't sold out by then. Failing that, there's always the alternates list...

Also, the last week has been rather uneventful, so there's no point doing the "X of the week" thing that I did last week. However, I'll leave you with a hand of the week from today's cash session Smiley

Hero £32.41,  
Villain £32.26, Hand Huh?

We're 3 handed @ 30NL, button limps, villain makes it £1.50 in the SB and we 3bet to £3.90, limper folds and villain calls.

Flop      two hearts

Villain checks, hero c-bets £3.90, villain raises to £11.70, hero flats.

Turn

Villain checks, hero checks

River

Villain shoves for £16.66, hero calls.

Ace high is good as villain shows Smiley

========

Results:

13th May
Today: +£40.04
This month: +£895.51
Sky Poker Points: 2,655/10,000 (= £26.55 rakeback)

14th May
Today: +£16.17
This month: £911.68
Sky Poker Points: 2,898/10,000 (= £28.98 rakeback)
Magic817

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2013, 09:47:15 AM »

You need to wok on your sat strategy, trying to beat me in a flip on sky? Really!?!? Keep trying the sats, you will get in on the cheap I am sure
Evilpengwinz

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2013, 09:36:15 PM »

You need to wok on your sat strategy, trying to beat me in a flip on sky? Really!?!? Keep trying the sats, you will get in on the cheap I am sure

I should've known better. Lesson learnt.
Evilpengwinz

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2013, 04:55:36 AM »

15th May

Sky Poker was playing up at the start of my session today, and wouldn't load tables properly. Got my buy-ins for the games affected refunded by Customer Care, but really frustrating as the site being unplayable for me meant hardly any volume, (and therefore, Poker Points) today puts me even further behind my target of getting into Sky's Priority Club next month. C'est la vie. Hopefully everything will be back to normal tomorrow morning (or should that be later this morning?)

This also left me with a dilemma. I keep my bankroll in one place, my Sky Poker account. Due to not having much money in my bank account as my roll is all on Sky Poker, I stuck £100 on 'Stars, converted it to dollars, and played a few $3.50 HU Hypers before deciding it wasn't worthwhile. Tbh, I need to start keeping my roll in a bank account and leave maybe 50 BI's for whatever cash level I'm playing at the time in my Sky account, for the interest as much as anything else, but it would avoid a repeat of anything like this as I'd be able to deposit and grind elsewhere for the night.

Outside of Poker, I can't wait to see the Ashes Warmup New Zealand test series start tomorrow. I'm really excited to see how Joe Root performs in his first test match in England, as well as Swann and Bresnan returning from their injuries (if both get in the team). It's a shame that we've only got two tests because of some silly limited overs competition that nobody really cares about next month. We've got a ODI World Cup, we don't need a Champions' Trophy too.

I don't do tips (or sports betting in general, for that matter) often, but going to keep an eye on the prices for Nick Compton to miss out on the 1st Ashes test if Bairstow gets some big runs in this series and/or Compton fails in this series as it may force England to pick Joe Root to open and Bairstow to play at 6 when KP comes back in. Currently 100/30 on Sky Bet which is a bit rubbish atm, but could be some value there in the next few weeks depending on performances and how the prices are affected by them.

===

Results 15th May
Today: -£7.40, +$16.50
This month: £904.28, +$10.50
Sky Poker Points: 2,909/10,000 (= £29.09 rakeback)
Katais

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2013, 10:14:03 AM »

15th May

I don't do tips (or sports betting in general, for that matter) often, but going to keep an eye on the prices for Nick Compton to miss out on the 1st Ashes test if Bairstow gets some big runs in this series and/or Compton fails in this series as it may force England to pick Joe Root to open and Bairstow to play at 6 when KP comes back in. Currently 100/30 on Sky Bet which is a bit rubbish atm, but could be some value there in the next few weeks depending on performances and how the prices are affected by them.

Problem with this is you're relying on the England selectors being pro-active for once.

They're massively in to consistency of selection, they don't really like changing anything within what is seen as, and tbf has been, a winning formula for a long time now.

We're probably just about the 2nd best team in the World right now, but we're a longgggg way behind the Saffers. We were no.1 a few years back, we're getting left behind due to (imo) conservative policies on and off the field.

Picking Compton in the first place was a regressive step, when there are younger, more talented options available.

Picking him for this first test against NZ will be a huge mistake.

As this is primerily a poker diary, the comparison to 'results orientated' thinking is evident when the pundits say "Well how can you drop Compton after he's just scored 2 hundreds?"

Well because it's best for the future of the team obv.

Root should open these 2 games in preperation for the Ashes.

I'm not 100% sure about Bairstow yet, (I'm a Yorkie too). I guess he deserves another go. But I think we did away with Eoin Morgan @ 6 too soon.

If I were picking my Ashes 1st test 11 right now I think he'd be the best man to bat 6.

Bairstow can do alot of damage too and will no doubt play 50+ tests, being the eventual successor to Prior. He's class.

Number 6 position is close though, something that can't be said about the no.1 position!

Be pro active Andy Flower 1 time ! Cheesy

Nice work w/ the profit btw.

*edit, Also I think if you're going to bet you'll have to take that price or not bother. If it goes out, it means Compton got runs. You're effectively backing Compton to fail in the 2 tests. Doesn't matter if Root fails too, they're just looking for an excuse to drop Compton rather than having the balls to do it pro-actively. Take the price, it's decent and whatever happens you wont get better value.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:23:03 AM by Katais » Logged
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2013, 10:29:27 AM »

So we have some cricket experts itt?

Thought on Swann, as England Top Bowler v New Zealand?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Katais

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2013, 11:05:36 AM »

So we have some cricket experts itt?

Thought on Swann, as England Top Bowler v New Zealand?

Looks more likely now we've won the toss Cheesy

Still no chance though imo.

He's been below his best for a while now, out-bowled by Monty in Asia in the winter, injured in NZ, and hasn't started the season great with Notts either. Coming back from an operation I wouldn't expect to see any dramatic improvement.

Early season English wickets, against a side that struggles away from home, I'd be surprised if he got much bowling.

I'd probably have gone for the 4 quicks in this test, with Finns height/pace being the '4th option' rather than Swanns spin. Bresnan should have got the gig as a pitch up first change bowler. (first change likely be after 6 overs when Broad goes back to trying to nock peoples heads off again)

The selectors obviously have the Ashes in mind, and want to give Swann every chance to get some overs/form/wickets. And of course they're 'frittened' of change.

2nd test (of 2) is at Leeds, if it's cloudy he probably wont even get a bowl. Can you tell I'm not expecting great things from this NZ batting side? Cheesy

Toss up between Jimmy and Broad for top series bowler. Jimmy ofc has the superior skill and will get the more prized wickets. (Do the hard work)

Broad will chip in by getting 9,10,Jack out 4 times and end up with flattering figures as always.

We've won the toss and are batting anyway.

After watching the IPL day in day out for 2 months, I can't wait to watch Cook and Trott block for 4 hours this afternoon.   cupcake
Katais

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2013, 01:23:30 PM »

Compton failed, I guess that price on him to miss the Ashes will have come in abit.

Looked dire, uninspiring, just a grim blocker.

Useless at gambling, Trott and Cook both 10/11 to be next out. (as of dinner)

Not sure how they've worked that 1 out, Cook 30 not out off 90, absolute run machine, looks set to bat for 3 days.

Trott 4* from 20, scratching around (literally), been dropped already.

Looks like good value, I've even had a few quid on myself!

One of those "it's a flip but we've got 57% equity" type bets Wink

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2013, 01:30:14 PM »

Ball turning before lunch day one. not a lot in it for the seamers

Very similar to a pitch Midd v Surr a few weeks ago. slow and low and got better days 2 and 3

Headingley next match, batsmans paradise this season

this is why you are completely wrong on Swann. 9/2 is a good price compared to half that for Anderson/Broad..

i would have root opening in the Ashes too. Compton is an LBW candidate all day against Starc and Siddle

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Katais

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2013, 01:43:07 PM »

Ball turning before lunch day one. not a lot in it for the seamers

Very similar to a pitch Midd v Surr a few weeks ago. slow and low and got better days 2 and 3

Headingley next match, batsmans paradise this season

this is why you are completely wrong on Swann. 9/2 is a good price compared to half that for Anderson/Broad..

i would have root opening in the Ashes too. Compton is an LBW candidate all day against Starc and Siddle

Not sure about this, didn't look a batsmans paradise when we were skittled out for 120 on day 1 of the season v an avg Sussex attack.

As always at Headingley it will depend alot on overhead conditions. It will be a good wicket, but I fancy there'll be more there for the seamers than Swann over the 5 days.

Broad/Anderson/Finn >>>>>>  Groenewold/Footitt/Leach/Overton/Kirby & co.

The Yorks superior seam attack has also skittled Derby out for < 150 to win the game on the final day, and reduced Somerset to 50/6 before rain saved them on the final day again (seamers doing the damage both times)

V much doubt NZ will get more than 450 over the 2 innings @ Leeds.

You'll need Swann to take 8/9 here. Weather around isn't going to help, timely showers could spice up the wicket/give the quicks a rest, doubt Cook will 'go back' with Swann after a rain break.

Didn't look at the prices, & I'm not a betting pro or anything, was just assessing it objectively.

Sounds like some of you'z have had a punt, would love it to be a winner, will do our Ashes hopes (home and away) the World of good should it be a winner!

Canny see it though.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2013, 01:49:45 PM »

the capitulations (derby, somerset) you refer to were 4th innings on worn pitches. first inning in these games were 505-9d, then 475 played 677 etc etc

We need ok weather to neuter the seamers

Another factor to consider is Yorkshire are skint, and could not afford to bid for an Ashes Test

They need this game to go five days, and it will be prepared to favour batsmen so all five days gate receipts are gained (unless its washed out)

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Katais

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2013, 02:06:17 PM »

the capitulations (derby, somerset) you refer to were 4th innings on worn pitches. first inning in these games were 505-9d, then 475 played 677 etc etc

We need ok weather to neuter the seamers

Another factor to consider is Yorkshire are skint, and could not afford to bid for an Ashes Test

They need this game to go five days, and it will be prepared to favour batsmen so all five days gate receipts are gained (unless its washed out)

Day 4 yea, v Somerset effectively day 3 and a half.

Supposed to be the best time for the spinners to bowl yet it was the quicks that did the damage.

(Monty/Rashid both v capable county spinners had little impact)

I doubt Swann will get much out of the pitch in the first innings, so where is he going to get his wickets should it deteriorate and favour seamers on days 4 and 5?

NZ strength is their middle order, early wickets up top very very likely, exposes their strength to the moving ball, can't see Swann getting much of a look in.

If he does, BMac will try to take the initiative and hit him out of the attack.

Agree they'll prepare a good wicket. They can't control the weather though, if it's overcast/humid, gl NZ!

Maybe Swann is the value bet in the market, but doesn't sound like there's much value to be had to me! 
Evilpengwinz

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2013, 02:43:28 PM »

Problem with this is you're relying on the England selectors being pro-active for once.

They're massively in to consistency of selection, they don't really like changing anything within what is seen as, and tbf has been, a winning formula for a long time now.

We're probably just about the 2nd best team in the World right now, but we're a longgggg way behind the Saffers. We were no.1 a few years back, we're getting left behind due to (imo) conservative policies on and off the field.

Picking Compton in the first place was a regressive step, when there are younger, more talented options available.

Picking him for this first test against NZ will be a huge mistake.

As this is primerily a poker diary, the comparison to 'results orientated' thinking is evident when the pundits say "Well how can you drop Compton after he's just scored 2 hundreds?"

Well because it's best for the future of the team obv.

Root should open these 2 games in preperation for the Ashes.

I'm not 100% sure about Bairstow yet, (I'm a Yorkie too). I guess he deserves another go. But I think we did away with Eoin Morgan @ 6 too soon.

If I were picking my Ashes 1st test 11 right now I think he'd be the best man to bat 6.

Bairstow can do alot of damage too and will no doubt play 50+ tests, being the eventual successor to Prior. He's class.

Number 6 position is close though, something that can't be said about the no.1 position!

Be pro active Andy Flower 1 time ! Cheesy

Nice work w/ the profit btw.

*edit, Also I think if you're going to bet you'll have to take that price or not bother. If it goes out, it means Compton got runs. You're effectively backing Compton to fail in the 2 tests. Doesn't matter if Root fails too, they're just looking for an excuse to drop Compton rather than having the balls to do it pro-actively. Take the price, it's decent and whatever happens you wont get better value.

Yeah, I think you're right. I still managed to get 10/3 on Compton not playing in the 1st Ashes Test at lunch today after his dismissal, so put £30 on. Fingers crossed...

Runs for Root and Bairstow now would be nice Smiley
Evilpengwinz

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2013, 07:16:50 PM »

16th May

I was delighted with how I played yesterday. There were still some issues with Sky's software, although not unplayable like on Wednesday, so I could still play on the site. As tables weren't spawning properly yesterday afternoon, I ended up 6 tabling, with a single 50NL table. Atm, my roll is at the stage where I could comfortably play 50NL, but I like to be over-rolled for the level I'm playing.

First cash session with just 6 tables was really tedious - Partly because I was playing so few tables due to nothing spawning, but also there wasn't anything happening. It was just 2 hours of being break even. Eventually finished with a massive profit of 13p.

Tournaments in the evening didn't go too well. I played Sky's Main (£33 Bounty Hunter) and Mini (£5.50 Bounty Hunter), a £11 Rebuy (1 Rebuy + Addon), and 2 x £11 Bounty Hunters. My only cash was a min cash and 5 bounties in one of the £11 Bounty Hunters - Really frustrating as I had a decent stack for most of the tournament until someone decided that limp/calling a shove with 77 was a good idea, but I'm happy to play people like that all the time.

Mercifully, everything else went much better. I fired up some 30NL tables, and this happened:

Click to see full-size image.

Was actually up to £260 at one point, but didn't get a screenshot then.

Also, I managed to qualify for the Sky Poker Tour at the 3rd attempt, for a total of £48 spent on satellites. Really looking forward to going as I haven't been to an SPT yet this year,

I'm really tempted to grind these because there's a lot of value in doing so, but I believe that satellite grinding is "misunderstood" by some players on Sky. There's always forum threads on there moaning about satellite grinders stopping people who want to qualify for an event from actually qualifying. As far as I'm concerned, 1/5th of the field is going to qualify in a 1 in 5 satellite, and if you're not good enough to finish in the top 20% of a satellite field then tough luck, you don't deserve to qualify.

However, for an event like the Sky Poker Tour where everyone desperately wants a seat, even though I'll never agree with what they're saying, is it really worth getting into the spot where somebody says "I would be at SPT but a satellite grinder who already has his seat knocked me out"? Nobody would be complaining if I played, my entry generated an extra seat or extra £22, I went out first hand and they got the extra seat or cash generated by me entering, but people won't consider that. Is it worth the hassle just because it's +EV to play a tournament? Wouldn't think twice if it wasn't an SPT, but not sure I can be bothered.

Also managed over 500 Poker Points yesterday, which I'll need to do more between now and the end of the month if I want to get into Priority Club next month.

Results 16th May
Today: +£80.93, +1 SPT Seat
This month: £985.21, +1 SPT Seat, +$10.50
Sky Poker Points: 3,432/10,000 (= £51.48 rakeback)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:19:19 PM by Evilpengwinz » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: