blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 06:05:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272671 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: Aledkanny
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3517 3518 3519 3520 [3521] 3522 3523 3524 3525 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6349252 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #52800 on: July 08, 2018, 07:51:17 PM »

The first 4 of the Thai cave boys have been safely rescued.

And Trump - having never mentioned the boys previously by all accounts - is now trying to take the credit by saying the US are working "very closely" with the Thais.

It is like U571 all over again.  There are certainly some international volunteers(13?) but we know at least 3 of the divers are British (we heard 2 speak) and I thought a couple of others are scandanavian.  I suppose there is a chance the other 8 are American and specifically sent by Donald. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #52801 on: July 08, 2018, 08:08:34 PM »

And Trump - having never mentioned the boys previously by all accounts - is now trying to take the credit by saying the US are working "very closely" with the Thais.

It is like U571 all over again.  There are certainly some international volunteers(13?) but we know at least 3 of the divers are British (we heard 2 speak) and I thought a couple of others are scandanavian.  I suppose there is a chance the other 8 are American and specifically sent by Donald. 

They said the route out was just 15 inches wide in some places  Shocked brings me out in a cold sweat just thinking about it  Cry
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #52802 on: July 09, 2018, 07:47:03 AM »

Yes, I saw that, & thought it very odd timing.

As Doobs notes, maybe it's true, we don't really know, but the man completely lacks self-awareness or good grace, happily unashamed to attach his name to any piece of good news.

It's weird how he uses Social Media so much, too. It was hard to get used to during his campaign to get elected, but it never occurred to me that he'd run & commentate on Government matters via Social Media once elected. Extraordinary, really. Good for holders of Twitter shares though, I guess, it's raised Twitter to a whole new level.

POTUS is coming home (ugh at those 3 words) later this week, Chequers with Mrs May on Thursday, Windsor for a meal with Her Maj on Friday (wonder if he'll hold her hand?), then up to Scotland for a few rounds of golf. Protests expected, one imagines. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #52803 on: July 09, 2018, 07:54:53 AM »

It is like U571 all over again.  There are certainly some international volunteers(13?) but we know at least 3 of the divers are British (we heard 2 speak) and I thought a couple of others are scandanavian.  I suppose there is a chance the other 8 are American and specifically sent by Donald.  

They said the route out was just 15 inches wide in some places  Shocked brings me out in a cold sweat just thinking about it  Cry

Correct.

So narrow that they can't wear a diving bottle, & have to carry it so as to be able to squeeze through. Pretty scary, huh?

Must be a dreadful experience for the boys. It's amazing they have survived this long, until they were found last week then had been without food for 10 days.

Fingers crossed for a happy ending.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 10:11:00 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #52804 on: July 09, 2018, 07:59:27 AM »

Prince Louis gets christened today. (Surely "christened" should be capitalized, but google says otherwise, & he's never wrong). 

The service will be carried out by "the Most Reverend Justin Welby".

Wonder what makes him "Most Reverend" as opposed to "Normal Reverend" or "Average Reverend", & why it's "Most" & not "most"?

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #52805 on: July 09, 2018, 08:28:02 AM »

Prince Louis gets christened today. (Surely "christened" should be capitalized, but google says otherwise, & he's never wrong). 

Wonder what makes him "Most Reverend" as opposed to "Normal Reverend" or "Average Reverend", & why it's "Most" & not "most"?

The word reverend means beloved/respected, so the higher the rank in the clergy, the better the adjective:

Very
Right
Most

The Pope and the Archbishop of Canterbury are Most.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #52806 on: July 09, 2018, 08:35:11 AM »

Great news.  I have done a bit of diving and caving, but combining the two with amateur divers seems hugely difficult.   Good luck to all those involved.

The football and grand prix weren't too bad either.

We may even get a Brexit that is only a major shambles rather than a catasttophe.

I never enjoyed a single minute of England v Colombia, with all the niggly fouls, jostling, play acting & general shithousery. *

* Copyright Tighty.

The game V Sweden was better, though - to me - the first half was very flat & dull, but it livened up later. Sterling, for all his critics, seemed able to cause chaos, and the defence had no answer to him. If Pep can work on his finishing, he'll eventually be very special indeed.

Loved the F1 GP, most enjoyable. You don't realise just how fast they are going until something goes wrong, & they fly into the tyre barriers at huge velocity. 

Did you see the post race segment in the drivers "cool down" room, where the top 3 drivers gather? Talk about "frosty", with Lewis positively seething at Kimi but not a word spoken, & incred body language. I'd like to be Kimi when I grow up, coolest dude ever.

Good timing on your Brexit comments, with those resignations last night. All a bit of a mess, one way & another.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #52807 on: July 09, 2018, 08:37:30 AM »

The word reverend means beloved/respected, so the higher the rank in the clergy, the better the adjective:

Very
Right
Most

The Pope and the Archbishop of Canterbury are Most.

There is a "Right Reverend"? Nooooo? And "Right" beats "Very"?

That's just awesome.

That's what I'd aim for, should I decide to become a man of the cloth.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #52808 on: July 09, 2018, 08:44:16 AM »

Anyone see the BBC programme "The Dark Side of Smartphones"?

Now that was scary, showing how so many of us (me included)  become addicted to our smartphones, most especially by clever (?) little tricks by the App developers &, worst of all, Facebook, though I'm very pleased to say I am cured of Facebook & have not used it for some years.

It's only 30 minutes & well worth a look, especially if you have children. Children are heavily targeted, & become livelong slaves to Smartphones.

It's here, on I-Player;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b9dzb6/panorama-smartphones-the-dark-side

Here's the wordy preamble;

People are all increasingly glued to their smart phones and consumed by social media, but why? Panorama reporter Hilary Andersson tracks down tech insiders who reveal how social-media companies have deliberately developed habit-forming technology to get people hooked. A former Facebook manager tells the programme: 'Their goal is to addict you and then sell your time' and the creator of the 'like' button warns of the dangers of social-media addiction. Panorama investigates the science behind the lure of technology, and shows how behavioural science has been used to keep people endlessly checking their phones

This seemingly innocuous image, which has become the symbol of Facebook, is easily the most harmful part of Facebook;

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #52809 on: July 09, 2018, 08:48:07 AM »

I didn't see the cool down room.  As with many sporting events, I switch off and become Dad again.  

The sports reporter on 5 live just referred to "the incredible" Hull KR when reading the sports results which made me snigger.

Davis seems to be trying to cool things today, so maybe we are back to major shambles on the Brexit scale?  

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #52810 on: July 09, 2018, 08:59:54 AM »

I didn't see the cool down room.  As with many sporting events, I switch off and become Dad again.  

The sports reporter on 5 live just referred to "the incredible" Hull KR when reading the sports results which made me snigger.

Davis seems to be trying to cool things today, so maybe we are back to major shambles on the Brexit scale?  

Incredible indeed. That puts them 10th in the League.......

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #52811 on: July 09, 2018, 09:12:58 AM »

Now that was scary, showing how so many of us (me included)  become addicted to our smartphones, most especially by clever (?) little tricks by the App developers &, worst of all, Facebook, though I'm very pleased to say I am cured of Facebook & have not used it for some years.

It's only 30 minutes & well worth a look, especially if you have children. Children are heavily targeted, & become livelong slaves to Smartphones.

It's here, on I-Player;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b9dzb6/panorama-smartphones-the-dark-side

People are all increasingly glued to their smart phones and consumed by social media, but why? Panorama reporter Hilary Andersson tracks down tech insiders who reveal how social-media companies have deliberately developed habit-forming technology to get people hooked. A former Facebook manager tells the programme: 'Their goal is to addict you and then sell your time' and the creator of the 'like' button warns of the dangers of social-media addiction. Panorama investigates the science behind the lure of technology, and shows how behavioural science has been used to keep people endlessly checking their phones

This seemingly innocuous image, which has become the symbol of Facebook, is easily the most harmful part of Facebook;

I haven't seen the program, but will add to the list.  My kids don't have social media yet, but my youngest took a fairly average photo of mummy last week and had a proper tantrum when I wouldn't put it on Facebook so she could get "likes".  The two kids already compete to get most likes for their photos of them on Facebook.

It is a bit unfair to blame Facebook for the like button, the like or rec button was on other sites before that one, but guess they must have just done it better.  It will be interesting to see who claims to be the inventor.  Even back in the early days I am pretty sure people used to put up posts to garner likes rather than engage in a sensible discussion.  

Anyway, I should just watch the program.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #52812 on: July 09, 2018, 09:19:03 AM »

It's here, on I-Player;

I haven't seen the program, but will add to the list.  My kids don't have social media yet, but my youngest took a fairly average photo of mummy last week and had a proper tantrum when I wouldn't put it on Facebook so she could get "likes".  The two kids already compete to get most likes for their photos of them on Facebook.

It is a bit unfair to blame Facebook for the like button, the like or rec button was on other sites before that one, but guess they must have just done it better.  It will be interesting to see who claims to be the inventor.  Even back in the early days I am pretty sure people used to put up posts to garner likes rather than engage in a sensible discussion.  

Anyway, I should just watch the program.

And that's the exact point.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #52813 on: July 09, 2018, 09:59:50 AM »

Incredible indeed. That puts them 10th in the League.......

Click to see full-size image.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #52814 on: July 09, 2018, 10:00:55 AM »

Incredible stuff mate losing so much in such a short time.

3 hours a day walking >>>>>>>>> 3 hours a day replying to emails. You'll live longer and feel better so to hell with not having time to do other things.

Is it just the food side of things that has now finished? Hopefully you'll keep up the walking, you'll probably find a nice balance where you can eat what you like and hover around the 12 and a half stone mark forever which will give you long term health.

I shall of course be in for the staking as per normal.

Morning Matthew.

As of the end of May, I quit all exercise & eating properly. It was always the plan that I'd quit the exercise & healthy eating whilst in Vegas.

Now, it's time to re-assess. I've put on just over a stone since then, & thoroughly enjoyed doing so.

I'm not feeling great though, so the plan is to get back on the sensible exercise & diet regime, probably within the next week.

I'm toying with the idea of buying a bike, so that I cycle instead of walk, but really, it amounts to the same thing - I need to resume daily & strenuous exercise, combined with a sensible diet.

I'm not really sure of the pros & cons of cycling v walking, but I'm a bit scared of cycling on the roads these days, so it looks like walking will be the chosen poison. Can't say I'm looking forward to it, but t has to be done.

Pages: 1 ... 3517 3518 3519 3520 [3521] 3522 3523 3524 3525 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: