blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 06:05:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272713 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 159 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 167 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2216989 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2430 on: May 17, 2016, 12:13:04 PM »

look at the huge difference between the phone and online polls

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: May 17, 2016, 01:36:21 PM »

What would the theories be on the discrepancy between online and phone polls ?  Been trying to think and came up with diddly

sola virtus nobilitat
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: May 17, 2016, 01:40:08 PM »

There’s a big difference between the online and telephone polls on the EU referendum – with online polls showing the sides neck-and neck and telephone polls showing about a 15% gap in favour of ‘remain’. Why?

Answer cliffs: methodology and the question asked

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/02/23/commentary-what-explains-difference-between-phone-/

My eyes are open wide
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: May 17, 2016, 01:46:53 PM »

Aah. I see. So turnout becomes the main deciding factor on the day I guess. If a high percentage of don't knows or no strong opi ions stay at home then likely to be quite close ?

sola virtus nobilitat
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: May 17, 2016, 01:54:42 PM »

Aah. I see. So turnout becomes the main deciding factor on the day I guess. If a high percentage of don't knows or no strong opi ions stay at home then likely to be quite close ?

I think so

i think it is widely assumed that getting the Labour/Corbyn - in vote out on the day is crucial. if so then remain should win nicely, but that is far from a foregone conclusion as it goes across party lines

If not then it appears quite close

remain went from 69% to 74% porobability on the exchanges on the publishing of yesterday's phone poll

My eyes are open wide
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: May 17, 2016, 03:22:49 PM »

I think so

i think it is widely assumed that getting the Labour/Corbyn - in vote out on the day is crucial. if so then remain should win nicely, but that is far from a foregone conclusion as it goes across party lines

If not then it appears quite close

remain went from 69% to 74% porobability on the exchanges on the publishing of yesterday's phone poll

Thanks. Becomes quite an odd construct when the government seems to get the most airtime for remain and their job is to get the labour vote out. Strange times but maybe not unexpected since this isn't really a party poltical issue

sola virtus nobilitat
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: May 17, 2016, 05:34:37 PM »

What would the theories be on the discrepancy between online and phone polls ?  Been trying to think and came up with diddly

Like the shy tories phenom

People don't like admitting to another human that they are a racist, xenophobic Little Englander.

In the safety of their living room on thier laptop they can behave like a frothing at the mouth member of Britain First or the EDL.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2437 on: May 17, 2016, 05:39:43 PM »

People don't like admitting to another human that they are a racist, xenophobic Little Englander.

In the safety of their living room on thier laptop they can behave like a frothing at the mouth member of Britain First or the EDL.

On the other hand, people find it very easy and enjoyable wildly accusing people of being racists with only the slightest of information.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: May 17, 2016, 06:08:26 PM »

What would the theories be on the discrepancy between online and phone polls ?  Been trying to think and came up with diddly

Jesus Christ, the Tories are here to stay for a while, get over it....

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 06:10:56 PM by Woodsey » Logged
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: May 18, 2016, 01:26:40 PM »

the pound against the dollar today

spot the moment the poll with the huge remain lead came out

My eyes are open wide
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: May 18, 2016, 02:01:08 PM »

Jesus what a poor post.  Do you really think everyone who wants to leave the EU is a racist?
SuperJez

View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: May 18, 2016, 02:38:55 PM »

Honestly I feel whatever happens the UK will be fine in the long run.  Short-medium term might be flaky but I cannot remain anything but bullish about our prospects over the long term.

However what is hilarious to me is that the out campaign seem to be built on the ultimate have your cake and eat it principle.  They think we can get whatever we want in negotiations without ever needing to accept anything others want.  Seems a bit far fetched to me.
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: May 18, 2016, 03:22:17 PM »

Jesus what a poor post.  Do you really think everyone who wants to leave the EU is a racist?

No of course I don't.

You could trying reading my post.

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: May 18, 2016, 03:37:30 PM »

No of course I don't.

Nope still don't get it.  If someone says to a pollster "yes I'd like to leave the EU" you seem to think that is the equivalent of "admitting you're a racist, xenophobic Little Englander".  Therefore I conclude that you think people who want to leave are "racist, xeonophobic Little Englanders"?

I'm voting to stay by the way - I just hate the idea that the only reason people want to leave is because they are xenophobic.  There is definitely a debate to be had about whether the pros of the EU outweigh the cons.  I have concluded that they do, hence my voting intention.
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: May 18, 2016, 03:43:38 PM »

No of course I don't.

Nope still don't get it.  If someone says to a pollster "yes I'd like to leave the EU" you seem to think that is the equivalent of "admitting you're a racist, xenophobic Little Englander".  Therefore I conclude that you think people who want to leave are "racist, xeonophobic Little Englanders"?

I'm voting to stay by the way - I just hate the idea that the only reason people want to leave is because they are xenophobic.  There is definitely a debate to be had about whether the pros of the EU outweigh the cons.  I have concluded that they do, hence my voting intention.

Ok I'll spell out what I meant.

The question was why people give different answers to opinion polls depending on whether the poll is a telephone or internet version.

I was speculating the reason people are more likely to say leave on the internet is because they were ashamed to *appear* racist or xenophobic to the pollster, whereas there is no-one to judge them in the privacy of their lounge or kitchen.

Whether they are racist or not is a different question altogether.

Pages: 1 ... 159 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 167 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: