blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 09:49:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272658 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Poker Media Mid Life Crisis
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poker Media Mid Life Crisis  (Read 130844 times)
dino1980
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 12, 2013, 02:51:10 PM »

King Size Homer?

"And I think it's ironic that, for once, Dad's butt prevented the spread of toxic gas."
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 12, 2013, 02:55:08 PM »

So relevant to poker too. Threads back on track Smiley

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: July 12, 2013, 02:56:51 PM »

I think at least two Sideshow Bob episodes must be top ten also, possibly the one with David Hyde Pierce as a guest stars and deffo the Cape Fear spoof
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 12, 2013, 02:58:28 PM »

I think at least two Sideshow Bob episodes must be top ten also, possibly the one with David Hyde Pierce as a guest stars and deffo the Cape Fear spoof

There we go. Back to common ground.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: July 15, 2013, 12:25:31 PM »

Made the wifey watch Aliens last night (she loved it). I really think it is a masterpiece and other than Paul Reisers hair, does not look dated at all. Someone on twitter shared with me an awesome bit of Trvia:

Who is the only actor to be killed by the Terminator, the Predator and the Aliens (of the famous movie franchises obv)?
FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 15, 2013, 12:38:37 PM »

Are you sure she loved it ? Not just a humouring smile ?   Smiley

Bill Paxton for the win
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: July 15, 2013, 12:53:17 PM »

Are you sure she loved it ? Not just a humouring smile ?   Smiley

Bill Paxton for the win

No she doesn't do humouring me unfortunately. Correct on Paxton.

re our convo the other day, here is the Partridge trailer

FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 15, 2013, 01:06:54 PM »

Alan the negotiator....Probably watched all the "best bits " but Im in obviously
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: July 16, 2013, 09:23:33 AM »

So before poker, I worked at a little place called Aviva for about five years. Pants job, but I loved the place and the people, and made some friends for life there. I was delighted last year when my wife joined and by funny coincidence ended up in my old department where she became known as 'Barry Carter's wife'.

Today the entire department finds out if they get made redundant or not, I think more than 50% of the work force will be losing their jobs.

Gina doesn't mind too much, she wasn't in the job too long, she was in it long enough so that we were able to get a mortgage and if she stayed the chances are she would be moved to the call centre, which would make her leave anyway. She actually applied for voluntary redundancy, so worst case scenario for her today is she has a job or a nice payout (you get a reasonable minimum one no matter how short time you had with them).

However the whole thing makes me feel sick for all my old mates, most of whom I've been chatting to this week, and most of them want to keep their jobs. I just found out the first of many has lost her job who has been there since she left school about 15 years ago.

I was under threat of redundancy twice when I was there, I wanted it the second time because poker was going well. That certainly is one of the best things about being self employed, I like feeling I have control over my own destiny. Of course what comes with that is also having to take responsibility when things don't go so well.

I've got this really big thing about 'future proofing' my life - we are looking into getting a wood burning stove installed soon for that very reason.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 16, 2013, 09:31:17 AM »

Redundancy is so emotive, naturally.

It was my painful task, on many occasions, to make folks redundant, and it was very awkward to do. Remarkable, though, how often things turned out for the better for them.

Everything in life happens for a reason. I often wonder if there is some mighty force somewhere that plans these things. I have been in a hole so many times in life, and something positive always seems to turn up when least expected.

Guess it is partly in the mind.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: July 16, 2013, 10:23:27 AM »

Fantastic news, she keeps her job and is not going in the call centre. Big relief.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 16, 2013, 10:27:39 AM »

Fantastic news, she keeps her job and is not going in the call centre. Big relief.

Winner.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 16, 2013, 10:29:26 AM »

Great News
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 16, 2013, 10:43:05 AM »

Congratulations!

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 16, 2013, 10:50:03 AM »

Did you work at the offices at the bottom of the Eccy Road? I had a summer job in 2002 there, doing very little from what I recall!

Good news on the job front!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 41 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: