blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 09:44:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272714 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Peter Eastgate auctions his Main Event bracelet
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Peter Eastgate auctions his Main Event bracelet  (Read 5247 times)
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« on: November 19, 2010, 01:04:18 PM »

Didn't see this elsewhere so hope it's okay to crosspost my recent blog post on this. I dunno if you guys share my opinion that it's a pretty lame thing to do?

eBay link: here

The latest thing that has the poker world talking is the news that Peter Eastgate is selling his WSOP Main Event bracelet on eBay. I was a bit sceptical when I first saw the auction page, as the seller is "petereastgate (0)". Personally I wouldn't bother trying to sell a friendship bracelet on eBay with a "0" rating. I know that I'm not even looking at the page unless the person has at least a fair few token 'A+++' comments! It does appear that it is legitimate though, and he is donating the proceeds to the charity UNICEF.

It's hard to rag on anyone for raising money for charity. However, to me it seems almost sacrilegious to sell off the bracelet. When you think about how insanely good you have to run to win the WSOP Main Event (see Jonathan Duhamel this year...and that's only in hands that were televised!), it's almost like you're being ungrateful that you won the damn thing! Out of the 6,843 other entrants in the 2008 Main Event field, and the hundreds of thousands of poker players around the world that wish they had such a bracelet, I bet most can't understand his decision.

I would think a very small percentage of people would do the same thing. Admittedly it was reported earlier in the year that TJ Cloutier had pawned off one of his WSOP bracelets, and the pawnbroker subsequently listed it on eBay. However that was more out of financial necessity (busto!) than anything. Okay, in this case it's going to a good cause as opposed to the craps pit, but I don't buy that as enough of a reason to sell the bracelet. If Eastgate wanted to donate money equal to the amount the bracelet is likely to raise then he surely could.

It seems Peter Eastgate has become somewhat disillusioned by poker, as evidenced by his retirement from poker, and therefore from his cushy role as a PokerStars Pro, earlier this year. Perhaps, as you often read about when people win the lottery, he feels his win has had a negative impact on his life, and that's the reason he is selling his bracelet. Maybe he simply wants to 'move on'. Or it could be that Peter feels his bank balance is souvenir enough of his main event win!

Yet, as if selling the bracelet isn't sacrilegious enough (imo), Tony G has vowed to win the auction and turn the bracelet into a dog collar! Perhaps the next "dogs in poker" painting you see will feature one of the dogs rockin' some major WSOP bling?

Source: atkinator.net
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 01:06:17 PM by MC » Logged

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 01:06:15 PM »

Don't see why it's lame.

The bracelets are pretty horrible.

He says he'll never wear it.

He can raise a chunk for charity from it.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 01:10:02 PM »

Don't see why it's lame.

Yeah I guess that's a fair point. I dunno, just if you win $8 mill, plus whatever extra millions he earned as a result of winning, do you really need to sell the one thing that you can't buy for (probably) only 5 figures?

Amatay

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 01:13:06 PM »

I read that Tony G is gonna buy it and use it as a dog collar for his pet, lolz

There is no better feeling than rocking up in a city for the first time, with nowhere to stay and everything new - so liberating.
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 01:16:32 PM »

Don't see why it's lame.

Yeah I guess that's a fair point. I dunno, just if you win $8 mill, plus whatever extra millions he earned as a result of winning, do you really need to sell the one thing that you can't buy for (probably) only 5 figures?

But its a piece of shite that means absolutely nothing.

Selling it doesnt mean he didnt win the main event does it.

Think its a great thing to do.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
AlrightJack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 01:20:22 PM »

As Eastgate has quit poker already and has stated he has no interest in ever wearing it, the $8m or whatever he won and his name in the record books is probably enough of a momento for him to remember his time as a poker player.

The fact that people put so much importance/emphasis on winning a bracelet is because of what they stand for in terms of poker achievement, rather than any intrinsic objectivity of them as desirable items in their own right.

Good on him. Ditch the tasteless jewellery, make some money for charity.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 01:22:10 PM by AlrightJack » Logged
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 01:29:18 PM »

Interesting, kinda thought more people would think the same way as me, but I guess it's hard to refute that charity > token sentiment

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 01:31:04 PM »

He's left poker, the funds are going to charity.

Nice gesture and good idea I think

Not sure why anyone with much sense would buy it, but there you go!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 01:59:53 PM »

I think its a great thing he is doing, he has quit poker, he clearly feels very content with what he has achieved as a player, it does look trashy and its gonna raise $100,000+ for charity.

I've always admired Eastgate, he seems a really level headed pro, shame in a way he left the game.

Now what TJ did is awful, very tragic and disrpectful to the bracelet.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 02:00:36 PM »

Eastgate is incred.GL to him.
paulhouk03
Cliqueless

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 04:18:46 PM »

if you won a bracelet would you wear it?

i remember antonious said it was a fucking piece of shit and super cheap and tacky

personally i would prefer to win a trophy than a braclet

i know its tradition etc etc but winning the wsop championship event warrents more than a bracelet imo

Just me
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 04:23:42 PM »

Why did he say hes quit?

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 04:27:10 PM »

100% of the sale price will support US fund for UNICEF (Small deduction may apply)

Made me lol.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Amatay

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 05:56:39 PM »

I think its a great thing he is doing, he has quit poker, he clearly feels very content with what he has achieved as a player, it does look trashy and its gonna raise $100,000+ for charity.

I've always admired Eastgate, he seems a really level headed pro, shame in a way he left the game.

Now what TJ did is awful, very tragic and disrpectful to the bracelet.

What did TJ do?

There is no better feeling than rocking up in a city for the first time, with nowhere to stay and everything new - so liberating.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 06:03:49 PM »

What did TJ do?

went busto and sold it for less than the buyin of the tourney he won it for. cake bought it and gave it back to him. thought that was all but I guess there's more

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: