blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 12:53:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272661 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Buy-Ins
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buy-Ins  (Read 1674 times)
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2006, 04:35:04 PM »

This should probbaly have been posted on the main board but their is a far greater chance of it going off on a tangent that its not meant to go in!

My question iis when playing a rebuy event, how many buy-ins do you allow yourself before deciding that enough is enough?

Would the ratio of buy-ins be determined on what the prize was?

I think sometimes when playing rebuys I am not sitting down with enough cash, thus meaning I am less likely to take risks early doors.  My plan would normally  be to sit down with a maximum of two rebuys and an add on, sometimes I decide that thats too much in comparison to the prize.

Subsequently I find that in the 2nd half of the tournament I seem to be considerably out chipped as I never accumulated enough early that when I do decide to make a move I end up being called with marginal hands from people outchupping me and they tend to in themajority of occasions come away better than me.

Obviously an area I will have tow owkr on is trying to get enough chips early that come the middle and latter stages of the tournament that if I try making a move then its not going to leave me hanging on by my finger nails.

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 07:00:06 PM »

My question iis when playing a rebuy event, how many buy-ins do you allow yourself before deciding that enough is enough?

Somewhere between 1 million and 1 billion.

You should NEVER cap yourself on the buyins you are willing to take, you are just throwing away equity if you do that. Evreytime you rebuy in a comp the chips are worth more than the original chips, but they are the same price, so if you were buying in at the start, why would you stop buying in now its better value!?!?

If you want to play purely for fun then of course limit yourself, if you are playing to get the best return, never stop!

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 07:13:42 PM »

Yes, you self weight each buy-in desicion.

That is, it doesn't matter if you've had 6 already, the 7th is still well worth another score.

The reason a lot of players limit themselves is that, if they've had 6 buy-ins, they're probably not playing all that well, and maybe even worse now they can't trust themselves not to chase.

Also, bankroll considerations come into it.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 02:21:50 PM »

I play £5 rebuy tournaments twice a week. I see some students limit themselves to £15 and then just leave. I also see rich people and older people rebuy countless times. The average amount of money spent is £27 = 4 rebuys/1 add on. I don't limit myself as i'm pretty confident of getting to the final table every game.

I play tight and constantly find myself rebuying 3 or 4 times and adding on aswell. This is due to me not getting lucky in the rebuy period and losing because so many people are willing to gamble.

I have now come to the theory though, that it dosent matter how many chips you have after the rebuy period, which may seem ridiculous to some people, but just by waiting for hands and good spots after the rebuy period you can double up as many times as you like.

On tuesday i doubled up 5 times from 1,000 to 20,000 and yesterday i doubled up 3 times from 2,200 to 18,000.

My advice would be just to play the cards as you get them. Dont be too tight but dont be ridiculously loose, and never get desperate when nearing the end of the rebuy period.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 02:31:13 PM »

Somewhere between 1 million and 1 billion.

You should NEVER cap yourself on the buyins you are willing to take, you are just throwing away equity if you do that. Evreytime you rebuy in a comp the chips are worth more than the original chips, but they are the same price, so if you were buying in at the start, why would you stop buying in now its better value!?!?

If you want to play purely for fun then of course limit yourself, if you are playing to get the best return, never stop!

I may have got this wrong, but i think the opposite is true. If you buy 1500 chips at the start of a comp for £100 you are buying in to be average stack. If you buy in when the average is 4,500 chips, you are only getting one third of an average stack for your money.

Therefore, chips are worth more at the start of the comp than they are later. If you follow this reasoning to it's conclousion, when the blinds are 1000/2000, you would be buying in for less than one big blind.

On the other hand, if you get say, 15,000 chips by the end of the re-buy period without having re-bought, the add-on only increases your stack by 10% but it doubles your outlay.

The older I get, the better I was.
stallyon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 02:40:51 PM »

if its for charity then i'll usually allow myself 10 lots of rebuys and buy in right up to the end of rebuy. if it isnt for charity then i'll allow myself about  max and only play these for the first half of the rebuy period (ie first 2 levels of a 4 level rebuy period). I've seen quite a lot of players who will bust out just before the rebuy period has ended, rebuy and be short stacked after the rebuy period only to bust out finally in the next half dozen hands.

but so, even when i allow myself 5 sets of rebuys i'll only use 2 or 3. you'll know how well your doing in the game to determine if its worth playing further. if your playing very good and you lost out to a draw by a fish then its worth buying in again. if you cant catch any cards or any flops then quit and try another night.

on saying this, the most money i usually lose is during rebuy omaha tournaments due to being outdrawn and the most money i've won is again in rebuy omaha tournaments

Click to see full-size image.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 05:21:09 PM »

I may have got this wrong, but i think the opposite is true. If you buy 1500 chips at the start of a comp for £100 you are buying in to be average stack. If you buy in when the average is 4,500 chips, you are only getting one third of an average stack for your money.

Say there's 100 players in the £10 competition. When you buy in at the start, for your average stack, the prize pool is £1,000.

When you have to buy-in later, and are recieving a third of an average stack. The prize pool is now £3,000.

Say you're playing a heads up match. You have 10,000 chips vs your opponents 10,000 chips.
A wealthy man comes along and offers to double the prize for the winner, if you personally, will play with just 5,000 chips vs your opponents 10,000. Is this a good deal?

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 06:06:18 PM »

Say you're playing a heads up match. You have 10,000 chips vs your opponents 10,000 chips.
A wealthy man comes along and offers to double the prize for the winner, if you personally, will play with just 5,000 chips vs your opponents 10,000. Is this a good deal?

I would say no. 

I would rather walk away with something by starting on equal terms rather than giving my oppo a 100% more chips than me with the prospect that I would double my winnings.

thetank

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 06:12:38 PM »

The point being, if you have a reasonable edge over your opponent, and say you'll expect to win just under 60% of the time with even chips. You should win over 30% of the time with half the amount of chips, and make more money in the long run.

Next you'll be telling me you don't split 8's at blackjack.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 06:15:07 PM by thetank » Logged

GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 06:30:21 PM »

Next you'll be telling me you don't split 8's at blackjack.

stick on 16 for me  Cool

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 08:24:12 PM »

Therefore, chips are worth more at the start of the comp than they are later. If you follow this reasoning to it's conclousion, when the blinds are 1000/2000, you would be buying in for less than one big blind.

If the comp was down to 2 players then surely you would rebuy if you could!

If i could rebuy on the 1k-2k level for 2k then i would. We have all many times trebled up from this point str8 away then found an easy spot to double.

As a tournament goes on the chip equity goes down the more chips you have (i dont need to tell you that Red you are fully aware) the same is true for the less chips you have, the chips go up in value. Its for that reason that as long as you are winning player you should keep rebuying, its +EV.

On the other hand, if you get say, 15,000 chips by the end of the re-buy period without having re-bought, the add-on only increases your stack by 10% but it doubles your outlay.

Well personally i wouldnt addon with that many chips. However if i am in a position where i am deciding whether to addon or not, how much i have spent is the very last thing i think about, it is totally irrelevant. I have 15,000 chips whether i have had 10 rebuys or no rebuys, whats diffrence does that make to whether i should addon? It has no bearing on the tournament at all.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: