blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 05:29:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272768 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10

on: Today at 10:45:29 AM 
Started by RED-DOG - Last post by RED-DOG
PS- I hope noun is the right word in this context. I never really learned those.

on: Today at 10:42:56 AM 
We’ve got a cuckoo at Hampton water an old brick pit now a nice nature reserve / country park
I hear it most days
It’s the first one I’ve heard for awhile though
I haven’t seen swallows / house Marin's yet ? That’s a sign of warmer weather

I haven't heard the cuckoo or seen a swallow this year, but since I downloaded that Merlin app I've been surprised to learn that there are birds around me that I never see. 

I'm on the lookout for a Jay, a goldcrest and a whitethroat.

I think I have seen a whitethroat in the garden, but have only seen Jays nearby.  A goldcrest would be great.   We get goldfinches in the garden on the feeders, which I always live to see, never saw one until we got the feeders, fussy buggers.

I did my lawn yesterday and sat myself down on a chair as the ageing do after finishing a task.  The birds didn't realise I was still there, so after about 5 minutes they had returned to eat.  One must have caught sight of me as they all scattered whilst alarm calling.  One poor little blue tit was left on its own, not knowing quite what to do.  The sound was tremendous for a short while, before it went off in completely the wrong direction chased by it's mother (?) who was still calling it.  Hopefully it will know what to do next time, or it wont have long for this world.

There is such pleasure/drama/beauty (Insert your own noun) in nature for those who make the effort to observe it.

More of this ilk on my diary please. It gives me as much pleasure to know that someone else is seeing it as it does to see it myself.

on: Today at 10:34:32 AM 
I see. 150 miles is a long way for her to drive even if she was fit and well.

Mrs Red has to go to York tomorrow and I gently suggested she would be better taking the train. Saves me worrying.

It's not like you can pop round every 5 minutes either is it.
What is she like with technology Doobs, can you face-time her or anything?

on: Today at 10:28:42 AM 
Started by RED-DOG - Last post by Doobs
We’ve got a cuckoo at Hampton water an old brick pit now a nice nature reserve / country park
I hear it most days
It’s the first one I’ve heard for awhile though
I haven’t seen swallows / house Marin's yet ? That’s a sign of warmer weather

I haven't heard the cuckoo or seen a swallow this year, but since I downloaded that Merlin app I've been surprised to learn that there are birds around me that I never see. 

I'm on the lookout for a Jay, a goldcrest and a whitethroat.

I think I have seen a whitethroat in the garden, but have only seen Jays nearby.  A goldcrest would be great.   We get goldfinches in the garden on the feeders, which I always live to see, never saw one until we got the feeders, fussy buggers.

I did my lawn yesterday and sat myself down on a chair as the ageing do after finishing a task.  The birds didn't realise I was still there, so after about 5 minutes they had returned to eat.  One must have caught sight of me as they all scattered whilst alarm calling.  One poor little blue tit was left on its own, not knowing quite what to do.  The sound was tremendous for a short while, before it went off in completely the wrong direction chased by it's mother (?) who was still calling it.  Hopefully it will know what to do next time, or it wont have long for this world.

on: Today at 10:14:36 AM 
Started by RED-DOG - Last post by Doobs
Heard that Cuckoo yet Tom?

No Trev.

I'm beginning to think I'll never hear one again.

These days, whilst doing or experiencing something that happens infrequently, I sometimes find myself thinking, I wonder if I'll ever do this again?

Not in a morbid way, more like a Be aware of the transience of life and squeeze every last ounce of pleasure out of it that you can way.

So if I do get to hear another cuckoo, you can bet I'm going to enjoy it.

I think I have heard one every year since this discussion, but not this year.

In the time before COVID my mum got so sick she almost died.  It has been a long road to recovery, but she isn't ever going to get back to how she was, as she is getting older.  

For a long time she has just used her car for getting around locally, so I kind of knew she wasn't going to ever drive down to see us again.  The other week she gave us our house key back. Such a small thing, but was in bits about it.

Sorry to here about your mum Doobs. Isn't it strange how a small thing can be the catalyst for all the emotion to come out.

Does she live far away?

She is 150 miles away Tom.  I don't even think she is making it to my brother's anymore and he is only 30 miles away from her.  She is still going on the odd coach trip, so isn't entirely limited in her range. 

on: Today at 10:10:30 AM 
Started by tikay - Last post by Doobs

Almost definitely not making it this year.  Have had a horrid run up to this weekend, and somehow it was worse.  Am still in the low main but crippled late by someone who lost their mind.  Need to convert 8 bbs to a top 10 finish to get to Vegas I think.  Hopefully can run better in the next 12 months, but might just have a couple of weeks off to clear my head after SCOOP has finished.  

Good luck in your trip, can't be long to go now. Will try and keep an eye out on the reporting.  Do you have a schedule yet?

saw you got 9th from 5500 field in the $55 last night for 2.5 k

probs not a vegas saver but very impressive run doobs

(apologies for lack of quoting skills)
[/quote]

Thanks

It was very welcome, suffered a 2 outer after all in on the river in the main having got myself back in it with a decent stack.  Almost left the $55 in disgust. 

Won every flip to the last couple of tables obv.  Not going to Vegas, I had some bad news yesterday, so likely wouldn't have gone even if I won. 

on: Today at 09:10:14 AM 
Someone gave us a tiny plant in a tiny pot so we put it with the others on the kitchen table.

Now its trying to take over the world. WTF is it?

Click to see full-size image.

on: Today at 07:36:06 AM 
Started by tikay - Last post by bagel

Almost definitely not making it this year.  Have had a horrid run up to this weekend, and somehow it was worse.  Am still in the low main but crippled late by someone who lost their mind.  Need to convert 8 bbs to a top 10 finish to get to Vegas I think.  Hopefully can run better in the next 12 months, but might just have a couple of weeks off to clear my head after SCOOP has finished.  

Good luck in your trip, can't be long to go now. Will try and keep an eye out on the reporting.  Do you have a schedule yet?

[/quote]

saw you got 9th from 5500 field in the $55 last night for 2.5 k

probs not a vegas saver but very impressive run doobs

(apologies for lack of quoting skills)

on: May 27, 2024, 11:00:02 PM 

I know he occassionally reads this Diary of sorts to whittle on about Cuckoos or whatever, so just wanted to wish Trevor Pearson (typhoon) good luck at DTD today. For those interested, I think it will be streamed on "DTD Player" which I think is on You Tube.

Great result Trev. It couldn't happen to a nicer bloke, (Well it could, but I haven't had a live game since covid)

on: May 27, 2024, 10:54:45 PM 
I played golf with Ian Clayton again today in a mens pairs match - he and his partner in banditry beat us in the end - they were 3-over par better ball both off 13hcp. - that's hard to beat with me having to give them 3 shots each! Great company though.

Anyway, Ian's parents who would be about Tony's age  are Mick and Eileen and always say hello to you. Aparently Mick brought his trailer round to your field to collect some wood from a tree you had chopped down a while back.

Yes Ralph, I recognise them from the description now.

A public footpath runs alongside my place and I often stand by the gate and exchange pleasantries with the locals, lovely friendly people most of them but I know virtually none of them by name.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10