blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 10:59:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272714 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Claiming Back US Tax from Poker in Vegas
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Claiming Back US Tax from Poker in Vegas  (Read 4852 times)
Mitch

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2012, 11:30:01 AM »

Dont know if anybody has had to go through this, as most places seem to fill in the paper work and get you an ITIN number when u cash out, but The Golden Nugget said it wasnt their policy to do the tax forms for non US players.

As i didnt have my number on me they took the tax when i cashed out, which came to nearly $4k.

Ive got the recipt form (1042-S) with all the info on etc and have since found my ITIN number.

Anyone know the best way of going about getting it back now im in the UK?

It has the 'witholding agents' address on, but no website or clear instructons to getting it back.

Any help appreciated, cheers.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 11:37:13 AM »

The older I get, the better I was.
Dry em
Hit Squad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 11:38:32 AM »

Doesn't help you in this case but write your ITIN number on the inside of the back cover of your passport so you have it on hand when cashing out

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 11:40:27 AM »

when i cashed out, which came to nearly $4k.

thin
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 11:55:25 AM »

Had to fill in a US tax return when it happened to me in 2004 got ITIN after filing so it might be similar now? Got mine from American Embassy in London (by post).

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
Mitch

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 11:56:10 AM »

Doesn't help you in this case but write your ITIN number on the inside of the back cover of your passport so you have it on hand when cashing out

Yeah, my bad, just presumed they all just did the paperwork for you now.

I went back to the Nugget on the way to the airport with the number, but he gave me some shit about having to have the actual form, and also claimed that in such cases, if the money is not claimed within 3 days, they send the tax off.

Expect its gonna be a nightmare trying to re-claim it now.

Mitch

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 11:58:53 AM »

Had to fill in a US tax return when it happened to me in 2004 got ITIN after filing so it might be similar now? Got mine from American Embassy in London (by post).

Thanks.

All the methods ive come accross so far involve sending a letter off, for them to send me another letter back, for me to send them back.

Seems very long winded not to have an online option somewhere.

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 12:00:28 PM »

ORRRRRR... store it as a contact in your phone??

claypole

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 12:01:27 PM »

Thanks.

All the methods ive come accross so far involve sending a letter off, for them to send me another letter back, for me to send them back.

Send pizzled a PM Mitch, he had some tax from Biloxi or somewhere iirc, however I think it took him like over a year to get it
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 12:01:58 PM »

I had to claim back a few years ago.

Definitely some kind of form involved, I think you can request it online. I think I sent some kind of e-mail to the American Embassy to ask about it. I know the Borgata helped me by e-mailing me something as well.

It actually wasn't overly difficult. Sorry I can't remember more.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 12:02:59 PM »

Thanks.

Yeah very old school in how they deal with it. Form is massive (more like a book!) but only tiny bit relates to what you need and once i sent it back got a cheque for tax pdq (in $ though)

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 12:18:23 PM »

That was my first thought as well

I think the main lesson to be learned isn't about ITIN numbers though - it's more, don't play at the Golden Nugget as they don't seem to want any business off of overseas players

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Dry em
Hit Squad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 12:20:49 PM »

You seen how often these kids lose their phones? Only just more often than they lose passports

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 12:22:27 PM »

You seen how often these kids lose their phones? Only just more often than they lose passports

My orange phone backs up my contacts to their server, worth doing that if your provider offers that service.
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 12:29:06 PM »

That was my first thought as well

I think the main lesson to be learned isn't about ITIN numbers though - it's more, don't play at the Golden Nugget as they don't seem to want any business off of overseas players

I think its more likely that the staff guy would've sorted it for a $20 tip as that seemed to grease the wheels at the Nugget a lot (to be fair they were very welcoming during the Grand Series to us foreigners, showing footy on screens etc).

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: