blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 11:13:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272713 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 ... 255 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***  (Read 626819 times)
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1950 on: April 11, 2012, 01:00:52 AM »

Shame was out back in January and it is brilliant.

don't really know what i thought of it but expected better. Nothing really happens
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: April 11, 2012, 08:58:18 AM »

Somehow this film slipped through my net: Animal Kingdom

Great watch and I think a lot of people will enjoy it.

Watched a film called Snowtown the other month, very very very dark. The missus had to go upstairs and she has sat through some stuff with me in her time.

Synopsis: Based on true events, 16 year-old Jamie falls in with his mother's new boyfriend and his crowd of self-appointed neighborhood watchmen, a relationship that leads to a spree of torture and murder.

rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1952 on: April 12, 2012, 10:06:28 AM »

After miserable failure in the UKIPT yesterday, I nipped across to the Showcase and watched The Hunger Games. I've not read the books, although I'd quite like to, and from initial reviews, the film sounded worth watching.

I liked the film a lot. From what I've read, the books were originally pitched at a teenage (girl) audience (a la Twilight), but I think there is mass appeal in the film. There is great contrast between the "districts" where the downtrodden working masses live, and the "capital" where the ruling elite live - the first half of the film pretty much explores this, and gets a bit slow at times. But it's not over-formulaic - there are some good guys amongst the elite, they're not just all painted with the same brush. Parts of this remind me of The Running Man quite a lot. Then the kids get put in the arena to fight to the death, where is becomes "Battle Royale" (vicious Japanese film worth a watch if you've not seen it). Obviously as a 12A it doesn't get too graphic (unlike the Japanese film), but the violence is well handled, and the character interactions play just as much a part as the action. You find yourself really caring about the main characters. There is a trilogy of books, and although the film stands on it's own, I'll definitely be interested to see what happens next. Not sure whether to wait for the film, or read the books now.

I'll give it a 8/10. Worth a watch, could probably do with being 20 minutes shorter than the 140 minutes it runs to.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
The secret to a happy life - "Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television." - Gore Vidal
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: April 12, 2012, 12:46:50 PM »

Started listening to the Hunger Games on audiobook whilst at the gym.  Only in early days in the story (they're just about to go into the games) but I'm not overly keen on it turning all lovey dovey!  It's a good story so far though.

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: April 12, 2012, 10:58:07 PM »

Thought The Hunger Games was pretty ropey tbh. Jennifer Lawrence did her best to carry it but it was all pretty poorly done imo.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: April 13, 2012, 02:27:23 PM »

The Cabin In The Woods

They've tried to do something a bit different tbf but it never quite works.

Ends up a bit sort of 'Cloverfield makers do a teen horror version of Monsters Inc'.

Ripley makes a cameo at the end without her alien-fighting crane jobbie thing, which would have come in useful.

Keeps you interested but all a bit weird.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 03:53:04 PM by Chompy » Logged

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: April 14, 2012, 06:58:52 PM »

Hunger Games...

Took the GF to see it..she was quite keen..my 12 year old had seen it the day before whilst i took the younger one to see Pirates ( more after ).

All a bit predictable..and done before to death ( excuse the pun) Futuristic random setting..randoms chosen to fight to the death in the name of entertainment and (peace ) ? Dunno what the young ones are getting all excited about.... saying that polished and slick and watchable..

6/10

Pirates

From the wallace and Grommit stable..entertaining enough but only a couple of mild chuckles as opposed to wallace etc making me LOL.... Kids will like it and bearable for the minders

6/10

Watched Mystic River on the way back from the USA...never seen before..awesome film...some stand out performances especially from Sean Penn who I never really rated for some reason... haven't seen it watch it....

8.5/10

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
youthnkzR

View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: April 14, 2012, 08:14:16 PM »

Wolf Creek for the second time last night. Still awesome.

Watched wolf creek for the 1st time yesterday and gotta say it was amazing.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: April 14, 2012, 08:55:53 PM »

... watched The Hunger Games. I've not read the books, although I'd quite like to, and from initial reviews, the film sounded worth watching.

I liked the film a lot. From what I've read, the books were originally pitched at a teenage (girl) audience (a la Twilight), but I think there is mass appeal in the film. ...

The Twilight comparison is pure marketing and lazy journalism the story is mainly war, pain, death, suffering and politics - but because there are 2 boys who like the girl - it has to be like Twilight  Cheesy

There's nothing original in any of the books,  if you're familiar with Roman history, Greek legend, contemporary war journalism and Endomol's Big Brother then the trilogy won't hold any surprises - but it's just so well written that it makes it worth it.

Also the books as written are all at least 15 certificates and the 3rd one is almost certainly an 18 - you definitely miss out in the film. Although I did think the film was very well made.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
treefella

View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: April 18, 2012, 08:11:03 PM »

source code 2011 . thought it was ok
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: April 24, 2012, 05:21:02 PM »

Salmon Fishing In The Yemen

Perfect lazy-afternoon flick. Cinema chocka with blue rinsers sucking on popcorn. And me chewing cola bottles.

Obi Wan awesome. Coiled as tight as a tightly coiled jobbie to begin. But then softens up steadily as he falls for Emily's ample charms.

Don't get the Emily Blunt fascination at all. She's invisible again but the film's good enough anyway.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 05:25:57 PM by Chompy » Logged

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: April 26, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »

Avengers Assemble 3D

Brilliant. Great coming together of the Marvel action heroes. Action pretty much all the way through, loads of comedy moments and Scarlett Johanssons ass.
 Click to see full-size image.

What more do we need?Huh?

9/10
Lost the 1 point due to watching it in 3D.

Ah! The element of surprise
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: May 06, 2012, 01:54:01 PM »

Just watched 'Red', really good and worth a look if you like action films. 8/10
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: May 06, 2012, 02:06:05 PM »

The Lucky One

Do like a good sleepy weepy but nope, doesn't do the job. Promises way more than it delivers.

Zac Efron pretty incred but Taylor Schilling nowhere near up to the task.

Swerve imo

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: May 07, 2012, 12:11:19 AM »

For anyone that has love film here's a totally random good film from left field. Its a Korean Film called 'the man from nowhere', I only watched it because it got good reviews, but its deffo worth a spin if you like action films.  Pretty powerful storyline too.

6.5/10

http://www.lovefilm.com/film/The-Man-from-Nowhere/163793/
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:14:02 AM by Woodsey » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 ... 255 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: