blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 02:03:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272674 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: Aledkanny
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  What individual dominated their sport more than any other dominated theirs?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What individual dominated their sport more than any other dominated theirs?  (Read 19355 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 05:51:20 PM »

Tomba?

I had Tomba too.  Was as dominant in his sport as would be realistically achievable.  You simply couldn't win every week with all the variables.  I think Mark Cavendish must be close on the same reasoning.

Schumacher?

...and dare I say it of we include Carl Lewis, we should include Lance Armstrong! 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 05:59:04 PM »

Tomba?

I had Tomba too.  Was as dominant in his sport as would be realistically achievable.  You simply couldn't win every week with all the variables.  I think Mark Cavendish must be close on the same reasoning.

Schumacher?

...and dare I say it of we include Carl Lewis, we should include Lance Armstrong! 

On this basis Simon Deadman and Sam Trickett are locks!
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 06:03:49 PM »

Nirvana crushing it at the G?

I'd say it was difficult to beat Bradman, as cricket is a very stats-based game and his numbers are just so much higher than anyone else in a game that has been played internationally for well over 100 years.

Mind you, I'm pretty sure that in 50 years time people are going to look at footage of Christiano Ronaldo at Real Madrid and think 'was he even real or is this just someone hacking Pro Evo?'
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 06:05:20 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Brazile

Been Rodeo champion 11/12 years...some going for an insane sport!
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 06:13:32 PM »

On Feb 3rd 2008 Tiger Woods shot 65 and came from 5 or 6 shots behind during the 4th round to win the Dubai Desert classic.

After that weekend the gap between his world ranking points and Phil Mickelson's world ranking points in second place was bigger than the gap between Phil Mickelson in 2nd place and the guy ranked 1000th in the world.

He was 423 world ranking points in front of Mickelson and Mickelson's total world ranking points on that day were 394.

The top 200 were listed here.

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/tours/rankings/world_wk05_08.html

I can't see footballers as dominating their events and some of the athletes and tennis players might benefit from the level of the opponents faced in their era. Tiger dominated a sport played against 150 runner fields most weeks and was so far ahead of a guy that became a multiple major winner and is already in the golf Hall of fame. Of the first 32 Golf World Championship events he won 16 of them.

Talyor in 2nd for me.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 06:25:40 PM »

Tomba?

Schumacher?

Si

Don't think we're judging them on 2nd places.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 06:29:15 PM »

Tomba?

Schumacher?

Si

Don't think we're judging them on 2nd places.

most dominant 2nd place finisher in history when he would be like 150/1 each time to come 2nd!
swinebag22

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 07:19:09 PM »

Nadal on Clay
English clubs in Europe 1977-85
Phil the Power

I suppose you should have Bradman, but he played in an era where bowling to his weakness was considered cheating. He would have scored a shed load playing on some right bogs so maybe that is a bit harsh.

Moses is a glaring omission too, but that's already been posted.
LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2015, 07:40:35 PM »

Tiger.
Waz1892

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2015, 07:44:12 PM »

Steffi Graf blitzed her regein, like no-one before or since.

No-one has a better record overall than Steffi.

Most weeks at number 1.
Grand slams and golden grand slam
13 consectative finals during late 80's.
8 years as number 1
186 consectative weeks at number 1.
5 years (twice) in having a winning streak of over 90%

Carpe Diem
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 08:06:48 PM »

On Feb 3rd 2008 Tiger Woods shot 65 and came from 5 or 6 shots behind during the 4th round to win the Dubai Desert classic.

After that weekend the gap between his world ranking points and Phil Mickelson's world ranking points in second place was bigger than the gap between Phil Mickelson in 2nd place and the guy ranked 1000th in the world.

He was 423 world ranking points in front of Mickelson and Mickelson's total world ranking points on that day were 394.

The top 200 were listed here.

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/tours/rankings/world_wk05_08.html

I can't see footballers as dominating their events and some of the athletes and tennis players might benefit from the level of the opponents faced in their era. Tiger dominated a sport played against 150 runner fields most weeks and was so far ahead of a guy that became a multiple major winner and is already in the golf Hall of fame. Of the first 32 Golf World Championship events he won 16 of them.

Talyor in 2nd for me.

Pretty hard to argue with when u provide this information, as well as Mickleson its not like the rest of the top ten would have been a bunch of no hopers which would make this even more compelling.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 09:58:45 PM »

Steffi Graf blitzed her regein, like no-one before or since.

No-one has a better record overall than Steffi.

Most weeks at number 1.
Grand slams and golden grand slam
13 consectative finals during late 80's.
8 years as number 1
186 consectative weeks at number 1.
5 years (twice) in having a winning streak of over 90%

Martina Navratilova?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 10:02:32 PM »

Asashoryu in Sumo.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 10:47:15 PM »

Sooo hard to get just 3.

If I had to pick only 3 would probs be Woods, Taylor and then a choice of Ed Moses or Michael Johnson
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2015, 01:17:13 AM »

Katie Taylor
Won her fifth successive World Championship (so far) just before Christmas, to go with her six European Championships, five European Union and one Olympic titles. 17 Golds, no Silvers, no Bronze. Has also played on the Ireland women's soccer team.

Babe Didrikson
Dominated women's professional golf for years, after winning 17 tournaments in a row as an amateur. She is still the only woman ever to make the cut in men's PGA events.
Named as Associated Press Female Athlete of the year six times, five of them between 1945 and 1954 for golf and once for Track & Field in 1932, when she won two Olympic golds and a silver, breaking the world record in all three events, having previously broken world records in four events in a single afternoon. Before athletics, she was an All-American basketball player three times. Nicknamed Babe after hitting five home runs.

Heather McKay
Lost two matches early in her career and then never lost again, winning every match she played until she retired at the age of 40. She won fourteen consecutive Australian Championships and sixteen consecutive British Opens (the effective World Championship of squash) and was only twice taken to 3-1, winning all her other matches 3-0. After that, she won the first two Women's Squash Opens. Also US Racquetball Champion three times and a member of the Australian hockey team for several years.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: