blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 04:49:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272877 Posts in 66758 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Boring Bulding Question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Boring Bulding Question  (Read 1751 times)
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« on: May 07, 2013, 08:38:41 PM »

There's some work that needs doing on side of the house.
Property documents say 'boundary features' on that side are the neighbour's responsibility, so I thought walls might be the same.
Is this usually the case, and if so, does it matter if it's only a shared wall on ground level when the work required is further up?
Now I've read this, it really is a boring question. Apologies, but any pearls of wisdom appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:47:40 PM by snoopy1239 » Logged
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 08:41:44 PM »

5% @ 1.5 please.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
paulhouk03
Cliqueless

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 08:54:16 PM »

Did ur neighbour or anyone else vouch for it?

Just me
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 09:06:19 PM »

Sounds like this is your problem, snoops, sorry!

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 09:14:11 PM »

Sounds like this is your problem, snoops, sorry!

Boring answer from boring concrete man.

The older I get, the better I was.
leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 09:14:45 PM »

Bit more detail please ...what work wants doing ?

Are you trying to say there is a problem on your side wall of house .....but on neighbours side ?

Boundaries can be very problematic at times

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 09:41:07 PM »

HM Land Registry is your friend:

http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/public/faqs/how-do-i-find-out-who-owns-andor-has-the-responsibility-for-the-boundary-fencewallhedge-of-a-property

http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/professional/guides/practice-guide-40s3

Would be surprised if you could make your neighbour pay for the maintenance of a piece of wall only you use, but worth checking properly.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 09:46:28 PM »

Don't disgruntle him though.

Nothing worse than a disgruntled neighbour.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 09:49:57 PM »

Bit more detail please ...what work wants doing ?

Are you trying to say there is a problem on your side wall of house .....but on neighbours side ?

Boundaries can be very problematic at times

The work required is above ground floor level, the wall is not a shared boundary at 1st floor, it steps in, as I understand the OP.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
luther101

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 11:08:30 PM »

There's some work that needs doing on side of the house.
Property documents say 'boundary features' on that side are the neighbour's responsibility, so I thought walls might be the same.
Is this usually the case, and if so, does it matter if it's only a shared wall on ground level when the work required is further up?
Now I've read this, it really is a boring question. Apologies, but any pearls of wisdom appreciated.

The wall of your house is not a 'boundary feature' (unless you live in a terraced house, which would be a party wall).

Your neighbour might gnash his teeth, if you try to send him the bill for a new bathroom window     .....

outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 11:29:24 PM »

Snoops

Your questions is a little vague. PM me the deets

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 is the legislation here, although it is usually used by building owners as it gives them permission to undertake works to a party wall/ fence/ boundary (after service of notice and preparation of an Award)

However it your op indicates you think something might be your neighbours issue that is affecting you? This is a little different . Is this the dampness matter still?

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 02:03:24 PM »

Sorry, yes, I live in a terraced house, so am guessing it's a party wall. It's just that in the area above their kitchen there is no upstairs room, so the wall stops being shared. I was hoping that it remains a party wall all the way up regardless, but from the sounds of these posts it would seem not. Would love to share the cost as any work to that wall requires scaffolding as they have conservatory windows underneath. The suggested work is 'pointing', and the issued was raised by my neighbour, not me.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 02:05:54 PM by snoopy1239 » Logged
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 02:32:19 PM »

Sorry, yes, I live in a terraced house, so am guessing it's a party wall. It's just that in the area above their kitchen there is no upstairs room, so the wall stops being shared. I was hoping that it remains a party wall all the way up regardless, but from the sounds of these posts it would seem not. Would love to share the cost as any work to that wall requires scaffolding as they have conservatory windows underneath. The suggested work is 'pointing', and the issued was raised by my neighbour, not me.

1) It would seem, as I suggested previously, to be YOUR problem snoops.

Which leads us nicely onto.....

2) What has it got to do with Mr Neighbour, it is none of his business? Unless he is just being neighbourly, of course.

Pointing is no big deal, but will need doing eventually. Any sign of internal damp at upper floor level, or spalling of the brick surfaces?

Really, it is not a big deal unless it is really bad.

Ostriches are far more of a worry.

snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 09:42:20 PM »

Thanks, tikay.
luther101

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 11:40:46 AM »

Snoopy - if it's just pointing, phone up a couple of local brickies to come round a give you a quote, then compare.

They usually estimate by the m2, though accessibility and height etc will be a factor in their pricing.

Spalling to the existing brickwork (that's the 'weathering' of the external face of the brick - water intrusion freezes during inclement weather, causing flaking of the surface, which eventually drops away   ....     a bit like Tikay's skin when he smiles) if bad can be assessed, with any bricks that need cutting out and replaced can be sorted by the brickie.

As that bloke what had a proper job, before retiring to the Sky Retirement Home in Brentford, said   ....    no big deal, it shouldn't cost a lot to do.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: