blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:31:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Late Night Poker - the thoughts behind the win and what TV didn’t show
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Late Night Poker - the thoughts behind the win and what TV didn’t show  (Read 12421 times)
Peter Costa

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2006, 05:20:23 AM »

With the re-launch of Late Night Poker taking place next week, I thought that some of you may enjoy an insight into the old series. So here goes….

Like many others, I had sat and watched LNP with an itch that could only be scratched if I got on the show.  But how does one go about it?  Enter Jac Arama.

Jac had become a regular on the show and so when I saw him at Walsall for a 500 quid buy-in, I decided to approach him. Calm as you like, I walked up to him and told him to back me for the event that day .He looked at me as if to say, “who the fuck are you?“. Undeterred,  I pulled a wad of on money from my pocket and told him that the money was not the issue, I just wanted to prove a point. Jac half smiled and went on about not even knowing me etc, and then asking if I had won any tournaments. Just then Gary Bush (who Jac was staking and who I had played with), overheard the conversation and assured Jac that I could win it. I got my way and a chance to get on Late Night Poker. Now all I had to do was win the Walsall event and leave the rest to Jac. As it so happens….I managed to win the two day event after a long battle with Lucy Rokach.

I called Jac to tell him the news, and waited for the fifth series of Late Night Poker to get underway.  I was actually going very well in that series and had a great chance until I made a mistake of betting out of turn in one hand, and then walking into T-T with my K-K, in the next. Anyhow, now to the sixth and what turned out to be the last series.

Having made the final, I felt very comfortable and confident. Even when short-stacked with six players remaining, I somehow kept that belief. After all, this was my chance to prove a lot of things to myself. Desperate for hand, I finally find A-K. With blinds at 400-800 (I think), I made it 2500 to go, leaving me with just about 6000 left. The problem here was, Lucy Rokach who was to my left and big stacked, sets me all-in. The other problem was, I had dreamt this would happen. Unsure of what the dream signified, I very reluctantly let the hand go. As it happens, Lucy was actually holding A-Q and I missed a great chance to double up. But the on the other side of the coin, I guess you could say that the muck showed just how much belief I had to be able to come back from 6K.

The final develops and I slowly get into the game. I managed to catch Lucy a couple of times and by the time we reached three-handed, I held a cool 15K more than her. As everyone knows, Lucy is a very aggressive player and that’s exactly how she had played that day. So when I was dealt A-T on the BB, I waited for Lucy to raise again. With holding a chip lead over her for the first time, I had no problem in setting her all-in. Lucy called instantly I knew I was in trouble. But hey, even I get lucky sometimes as I flopped a Ten and another on the turn to leave her A-Q drawing dead. And so to heads-up.

Cai Lin was just as aggressive as Lucy and perhaps even more so. I therefore decided to take no shit and make a stance against him. However….my A-8 against his A-J (which was surprisingly not shown), was a case of bad timing. Suddenly, I found myself low-stacked again. I now needed the grinding approach. But this would not be easy against a very aggressive player. I needed a few hands in order to try and get into his head. Luckily, the blinds were still very low and limping became the game. I may just have a chance here!

Just as these thoughts were going through my mind, The next hand brings an opportunity to mix things up. On a flop of T-9-2 rainbow, I over-bet the pot by some way. Of course Cai Lin mucks as I expected, and I show him the top two pair. I could feel the questions going on in his mind about that play. But that was only the start; I needed more. A few hands later, another limp again brings top two pair for my K-9. Only this time I have position. So when Cai Lin checks, I check. The checks continue after a harmless turn and river. Not one single bet was made during the hand; the thoughts in Cai Lin’s head must have been as racing after that. This kind of play continued for nearly two hours before I finally got level in chips. The break comes and I notice the dejection in Cai Lin’s face.  In fact, he tells me he can’t beat me! 

I responded by telling him that he was playing well and not to get despondent. Anyone listening to this conversation must have been confused at what was being said. This was not how it should be. We should have been using every weapon at our disposal, looking for anything that would give us an advantage. But I guess that we were just two guys who actually liked each other. And perhaps poker is not about winning at all cost, perhaps it just about playing the game.

Anyway, playing three tournies on Party - must dash - going well in the Friday big one. Sorry for any typos btw
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 05:28:57 AM »

Another great read, cheers Peter, and GL in Cardiff and on Party!

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Peter Costa

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 05:36:31 AM »

Thanks for that - I won one on Party in Jan for 100K and should write about that as it was most unreal tournie I have ever won. 
Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 09:55:38 AM »

Fantastic post Peter, I look forward to the next one!

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 09:59:58 AM »

Excellent read Peter, always an enjoyable insight in to the game. Keep em coming.

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 10:00:48 AM »

Thanks for that - I won one on Party in Jan for 100K and should write about that as it was most unreal tournie I have ever won. 

Please do. I think I can safely speak for us all when I say your tournament reperts are top notch reading. Post more

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 10:18:50 AM »

You should have your own section on the main site Peter, great stuff.
So if i walk up to you at Walsall and demand you put me into the main event you will??

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 10:45:23 AM »

Read it properly Mfi .... there are 2 requirements to get backed....  A wad of cash, and an ability to play poker.

If you can manage the first one, the second one leaves you somewhat up the proverbial creek with no paddle Wink

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 10:46:21 AM »

Read it properly Mfi .... there are 2 requirements to get backed....  A wad of cash, and an ability to play poker.

If you can manage the first one, the second one leaves you somewhat up the proverbial creek with no paddle Wink

Rumbled, damn you!!

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 11:27:23 AM »

Like many others, I had sat and watched LNP with an itch that could only be scratched if I got on the show.  But how does one go about it?  Enter Jac Arama.

Shocked the things people have to do to get on telly  Wink
lazaroonie

Your a dead man Den Watts !!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 12:08:28 PM »

I remember watching this final (and have watched it many times since), and found it fascinating, particularly the heads up battle. I have always wondered how much of it got left on the cutting room floor. It looked from the TV point of view that Peter had a perfect read on Jin, and Jin was getting more and more frustrated as the play went on.

great stuff. Its thanks to that program that I cant get enough of this bloomin game, and non poker playing friends think I must have passed away some time ago.

The blog of my friend Colchester Kev
http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/
Teacake

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2006, 01:35:23 PM »

I remember watching this final (and have watched it many times since), and found it fascinating, particularly the heads up battle. I have always wondered how much of it got left on the cutting room floor. It looked from the TV point of view that Peter had a perfect read on Jin, and Jin was getting more and more frustrated as the play went on.

great stuff. Its thanks to that program that I cant get enough of this bloomin game, and non poker playing friends think I must have passed away some time ago.

What he said.

The poor guy looked as if he didn't know if it was New Year or New York. An awesome display 
Peter Costa

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2006, 04:34:24 PM »

What he said.

The poor guy looked as if he didn't know if it was New Year or New York. An awesome display 

Funny thing, Cai Lin and I became very good friends after the show. When I went to Australia in 2003 - I took a copy of the show cos Erik Siedel wanted to watch it.  Cai Lin was also there and he asked if he could borrow it. I asked him if he was sure he wanted to watch it lol. When he doped it back, he gave me a big hug and the mother of all smiles. 

The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 04:37:58 PM »

Intriguing stuff. I've paid for books that aren't this insightful.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 05:40:19 PM »

Peter, I remember the episode very well and the one sided HU

thanks for posting these great articles on here. I hope you do the same for the new LNP! In due course....

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: