blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 05:00:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272905 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Inappropriate Jokes and blonde
Poll
Question: lololololol
Poll - 16 (45.7%)
No Poll - 19 (54.3%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Inappropriate Jokes and blonde  (Read 36555 times)
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 19, 2006, 06:25:46 PM »

Kev, I think the difference between the 2 is that poof can be used to mean "effeminate" and "homosexual", whereas big girls blouse doesn't have any homosexual connotation to it?

Poof ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (pf)
n. Offensive Slang

Used as a disparaging term for an effeminate or homosexual male.

poof

n : offensive terms for an openly homosexual man

(nicked from dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=poof)

Oh please ... so its just the word poof thats offensive then, big girls blouse(although it means exactly the same) is acceptable ?

This is where the politically correct brigades case falls apart, simply by substituting one word for another you get the same result, then they want to ban that word... then they use another word and that gets banned ..and so on and so on and so on ...

At school we used to have Black boards (called this because they were black... amazingly enough) then they were not allowed to be called that, so they renamed them Chalk boards....  Imagine my amazement when talking to my Kids and going to school open evenings etc. that they now have White boards !!!  Why is Black board offensive to Black people, and why is it ok to call them White boards .... isnt that offensive to white people ?

Political correctness...my arse.

Kev i agree with you 100%, its just in this case surely we can avoid making these jokes (which lets face it are hardly integral to out survival) because Keith would rather we didnt.....

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: June 19, 2006, 06:26:22 PM »

And we're back where we started

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 19, 2006, 06:27:57 PM »

And we're back where we started

Hehe.

But I do wish Flushy would stop making sensible Posts. It's very disconcerting. Kinda like seeing Couch Kev play a poker hand well - you know it won't happen again.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 19, 2006, 06:29:50 PM »

mohammed ali was a veerment opponent of  words that were prefixed with the word "black" and were generally held as having a negative connatation such as
black magic and black sheep of the family.

I dont know the derivation of these terms but am interested to know if the term blackboard was genuinly changed so as to conform with modern day political correctness.

If so, just laughable
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 19, 2006, 06:31:30 PM »

Oh please ... so its just the word poof thats offensive then, big girls blouse(although it means exactly the same) is acceptable ?

It only means the same in the context in which you use it, which is what creates the problem.

If you use the other word you can still make the same joke but not offend anyone.

Unless I'm wrong about the meaning of "big girls blouse"

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 19, 2006, 06:31:56 PM »

But I do wish Flushy would stop making sensible Posts.

Don't worry i will go back to trouble making later.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: June 19, 2006, 06:33:38 PM »

No you wont!!
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 19, 2006, 06:35:39 PM »

I reckon I am with the majority here when I say leave things as they are and use common sense and tact when posting.

IMO its nonsense to say that by poking fun at someone by calling them gay is degradation.  Its life, get on with it.

Where do you draw the line?  I reckon as long as their is no malice meant with anything and its taken in the spirit it is meant then its acceptable.

I mean we could be here all day imagine the posts that where to be pulled.

You couldn't call a Scotsman a Jock, and Irishman a Paddy, No jokes about Welsh activities with Sheep.  Can't call flushy a jessy, can't poke fun at TK for being the oldest living man in the world. 

If people are offended by this banter then they really need to lighten up.

I tell you just now I would hate to be part of a forum that was so far up its @rse with all the PC stuff.

GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 19, 2006, 06:38:44 PM »

Kev, I think the difference between the 2 is that poof can be used to mean "effeminate" and "homosexual", whereas big girls blouse doesn't have any homosexual connotation to it?

Poof ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (pf)
n. Offensive Slang

Used as a disparaging term for an effeminate or homosexual male.

poof

n : offensive terms for an openly homosexual man

(nicked from dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=poof)

This is where the politically correct brigades case falls apart, simply by substituting one word for another you get the same result, then they want to ban that word... then they use another word and that gets banned ..and so on and so on and so on ...

At school we used to have Black boards (called this because they were black... amazingly enough) then they were not allowed to be called that, so they renamed them Chalk boards....  Imagine my amazement when talking to my Kids and going to school open evenings etc. that they now have White boards !!!  Why is Black board offensive to Black people, and why is it ok to call them White boards .... isnt that offensive to white people ?

Kev i agree with you 100%, its just in this case surely we can avoid making these jokes (which lets face it are hardly integral to out survival) because Keith would rather we didnt.....

I agreee with Kev 100% to

FFS youc ant even sing Bah Bah Blacksheep anymore its wooly sheep!!

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 19, 2006, 06:39:58 PM »

"There will always be extremist nutters and religious zealots who decree homosexuality and they are easy to deal with".

This was something Camel said and it illustrates how perfectly impossible it is to please everyone and for the most PC person to be PC all the time.

Harking back to some childhood memories, teaching of values / morals tended to be inextricably linked with religion. I'm not a religious person and very far from perfect but some kind of code, social responsibility is at the back of my mind all the time.

Anyway, the point is the linking of a 'set of values' for want of a better expression ( as opposed to the anarchy of complete self gratification/hedonism ) to 'religion' has probably stayed with me.

As a result, and I mean this genuinely, I have always found blasphemy offensive. Some would say there is no such concept as blasphemy but to me there is and it offends me. Not to the point of screaming it from the rooftops but it never sits well when I hear it.

Now Camel's remarks get nowhere near blasphemy but other peoples views don't line up with his and so he finds it acceptable to use the phrase "extremist nutters & religious zealots" about people who think differently. I am sure there are many Christians. Muslims et al who would find this offensive - to be sure they are unlikely to be the natural constituency of a poker forum but I am sure there are some people of faith here who would prefer not to be described as a nutter or zealot for their personal faith and choices.

sola virtus nobilitat
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 19, 2006, 06:40:35 PM »

Well i certainly dont want to fall out with Keith, I dont want to fall out with anyone.

But it worries me that ONE voice can make us all change the way we talk to each other on the forum... and it also concerns me that this will lead to a spate of complaints from people about every exchange between mates... Look at the cincins threads for example, those boys rip each other to shreds , but still remain mates and share a table together most nights.

I guess I just find it strange that in this day and age people take offence in certain things... this is a poker forum, poker is gambling... therefor it is played by over 18,s.  

I shall refrain from using the word poof in future... NOT because i think it is insulting or derogatory, and Not because it upsets Keith ... I shall not use it again cos i cant be arsed to argue the toss anymore... chalk another one up for the Liberals !!!

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 19, 2006, 06:44:16 PM »

chalk another one up for the Liberals !!!

The drinks are on Charles Kennedy
AlrightJack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: June 19, 2006, 06:45:38 PM »

I heard recently about Chris Moyles not getting into much trouble when using the word gay on air. He claimed he was using it in the sense of gay = bad, not homosexual and that he should not be reprimanded over its use because it was now such a widely used derogatory word. The meaning of a word can be culturally transformed when it is overused out of context by a large enough group of people for a long enough period of time. A bad defence is u ask me, but he got away with it. Wink

« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 06:55:30 PM by AlrightJack » Logged
Trace
21/01/07 18:33:11

Mrs Fielding to be!

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 19, 2006, 06:57:28 PM »

I asked Race and Ethnicity tutors at work - what is PC nowadays  "coloured" or "black"?

Answer:    Black is PC ,  coloured is not!!

Yet I feel bad using the word black, and more comfortable saying coloured!!

Flushy - to me you will always be   "OI FISH"   lol   xxxx
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 07:00:05 PM by TraceT » Logged

Liberavi animam meam
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 19, 2006, 07:07:43 PM »

I've woken up in the afternoon, have read the thread, and it is now early evening.

Here are my thoughts.

Banter is important to blonde, but so is the community spirit.

One of our blondite brothers has spoken out, saying that a particular word offends him. I say fair enough, can't we, as a community, stop using that word as he has articulately explained as to why it makes him cringe.

Perhaps because Camel has alluded to everyone using that word being homophobic, it made us all draw battle lines across the sand, when instead we should be working together positively to reach a compromise. The majority of posters on this thread feel their rights to free banter are being attacked.

In the knowledge that the words "poof," "gay," "big cream puff," or "shirt lifter" etc offend a fellow blondite, I, for one, have no problem to stop using them on this board.

I can enjoy the same banter by instead alluding to someone being "camp," "effiminate," or "a big jessie"

After all, being camp is not the same as being gay.
I have known gay people who are not the least bit effiminate, and straight people who are as camp as a row of tents.

If I can make essentially the same jokes that were made before, and just change the language a little so as not to offend a fellow blondite/blondites. Is that such a bad thing? Is your blonde experience going to be affected that much is you call someone effiminate, when you mean effiminate, and steer clear of alluding to their bedroom habits and sexual preferences.

Not politically correctness gone mad, just respect for other peoples feelings who have been brave and made a stand, making their opinions known.

What's the worse of two evils, changing the words you use in a few posts every now and then, or marginalising one of our members. Remember, as Baron says, there may be many more who are afraid to speak out.

When posting something, the manner in which it was written and the sentiment behind it is all very well....BUT.....the manner in which it can be percieved is all that matters. If you have offended someone by no intent of your own, there is still a need to apologise and perhaps modify your choice of language in future.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 07:13:52 PM by thetank » Logged

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: