blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:14:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  What's happening to the game?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's happening to the game?  (Read 2176 times)
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« on: August 10, 2005, 09:48:41 PM »

Right. I've just finished watching CelebPoker 2004 UK Challenge. What a shower of shite.  Lips Sealed

Firstly, for a comp to be a CelebPoker Challenge, you kinda expect to see a fair amount of celebs in attendance. Well, I think you could count the amount of celebs playing on Bart Simpson's hand.

Secondly, we have the two worst commentators imaginable. Taking the lead is a blatant amateur who would be better served commentating on CelebSnap Challenge. He got excited by a raggy ace and any two suited cards. Sitting next to this poker genius is, as in true Poker Night Live style, a somewhat dim lass who appears to have taken the wrong turning on her way to a Page 3 shoot. Quotes such as 'What does that mean?', 'Does he have to put in the same amount?', and 'What are those chips worth'? had me shouting 'silly moo' at the screen like Alf Garnett. Incidently, the fella's answer to the latter was 'I don't know, I didn't get that far.' And he wasn't joking on either count.

And then onto the young lady standing by to give each falling player a good old rub down. She too was clueless, couldn't give a flying (cough), and pretty much giggled in their faces. Just been bent over and gone crashing out a major comp? Why not have a chat with this girl? No ta. - although she weren't bad looking.  Wink

Okay. Maybe we can forgive the lack of celebrities, clueless commentators, and irritating backstage interviewerl. Perhaps the play was so intense, so enthralling, that those things just didn't matter. Think again. The crucial hand heads up went as follows:

Matey Boy #1 holds 85 off. Matey Boy #2 has 96 off.

Flop comes 9TJ rainbow. Matey Boy #1 bets his up and down draw. Has the ignorant end if the queen falls, but perhaps worth a stab. Matey Boy #2 swiftly calls, maybe to take it away on the turn if his opponent checks.

Turn is a 6, giving Matey Boy #2 bottom 2 pair. Matey Boy #1 checks, Matey Boy #2 bets, Matey Boy #1 calls. Boy, does he like that draw.

River is another ten, counterfeiting those bottom 2 pair. Matey Boy #1 checks again. Matey Boy #2 moves all-in. Only possibility here is that he puts his opponent on the jack and thinks he can get him to fold. Hmm, somewhat risky in my eyes. Anyway, what do you think Matey Boy #1 does. Well, he does the only sensible thing and makes the call for virtually all his chips with his 8 high. ?!?!?! Yes, I repeat, he called with 8 high. 1st prize 43 thousand. Great to see the best competing for the top prizes.

So to conclude, it may be an uderstatement to say I wasn't overly impressed with the poker channel's 8-9pm slot. Not just because it was the most painful hour of poker that I've endured since, well, since ever, but also because it makes a mockery of the game I love.

With all this celeb poker rubbish, do we really deserve the poker channel to join in with CelebPoker 2004 UK Challenge? I just hope that we don't get too many shows like this. I wanna see some proper poker on tv. I don't care about the celebs, the glitz, glammer, etc. We don't need massive pauses between cards, heartbeat monitors, or any of the other crap they come up with. Can we just have poker please? Good honest poker. Is that two much to ask?

Now someone please tell me that this 43k went to charity...

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 09:52:02 PM »

sounds like the program that was first shown on bravo or men and motors (cant remember which) but was a piss poor program with no time or money spent on it
infact it was shown about 1 or 2 weeks after it was played

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
-bw-

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 10:15:52 PM »

100% agree

dont want to watch celebs trying to play poker

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 10:17:40 PM »

Great post Snoopy, one of your best, I loved "Bart's fingers"

The older I get, the better I was.
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 10:24:10 PM »

Matey Boy #1 holds 85 off. Matey Boy #2 has 96 off.

Flop comes 9TJ rainbow. Matey Boy #1 bets his up and down draw. Has the ignorant end if the queen falls, but perhaps worth a stab. Matey Boy #2 swiftly calls, maybe to take it away on the turn if his opponent checks.

Turn is a 6, giving Matey Boy #2 bottom 2 pair. Matey Boy #1 checks, Matey Boy #2 bets, Matey Boy #1 calls. Boy, does he like that draw.

River is another ten, counterfeiting those bottom 2 pair. Matey Boy #1 checks again. Matey Boy #2 moves all-in. Only possibility here is that he puts his opponent on the jack and thinks he can get him to fold. Hmm, somewhat risky in my eyes. Anyway, what do you think Matey Boy #1 does. Well, he does the only sensible thing and makes the call for virtually all his chips with his 8 high. ?!?!?! Yes, I repeat, he called with 8 high. 1st prize 43 thousand. Great to see the best competing for the top prizes.

So to conclude, it may be an uderstatement to say I wasn't overly impressed with the poker channel's 8-9pm slot. Not just because it was the most painful hour of poker that I've endured since, well, since ever, but also because it makes a mockery of the game I love.

With all this celeb poker rubbish, do we really deserve the poker channel to join in with CelebPoker 2004 UK Challenge? I just hope that we don't get too many shows like this. I wanna see some proper poker on tv. I don't care about the celebs, the glitz, glammer, etc. We don't need massive pauses between cards, heartbeat monitors, or any of the other crap they come up with. Can we just have poker please? Good honest poker. Is that two much to ask?

Now someone please tell me that this 43k went to charity...

Didn't we discuss this hand in a earlier thread?

Didn't see the show. I'll try and dig out the old thread... Huh?

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 11:18:49 PM »

Well, put it this way. If they'd have stuck cameras on some of the Luton comps this week it'd be a far better watch than some of the stuff they're broadcasting at the moment. I just wanna watch some good poker without all the distractions.
Splash

WonkyJim / Donkeyjim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 11:29:19 PM »

Agreed!

".....and Buckley ponders how to play Aces to lose the maximum."
Splash

WonkyJim / Donkeyjim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 11:29:56 PM »

Actually can we leave the eye candy in?!   Undecided

".....and Buckley ponders how to play Aces to lose the maximum."
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 11:31:49 PM »

Actually can we leave the eye candy in?! Undecided

I'll be at Luton tomorrow, what more do you want?

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 11:40:06 PM »

a date without a moustache.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 11:42:47 PM »

Here RED-DOG, take this razor, your luck's changed

http://www.rooms-direct.co.uk - If you need some furniture, give Shogun a shout, he can do you some discount for Blonde Poker forum members..
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 11:46:31 PM »

Shocked

not on your nelly.

i can think of a few with moustaches, but not male, but perhaps I'd better not go there  Roll Eyes

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 01:54:57 AM »

I walked one of those 'Its half past two, any port in a storm,' girls home one night, I dont know which one of us lowered their standards the most. We took a detour through a graveyard. Afterwards she had an imprint on her arse that said it died in 1947. I didnt dare kiss her though, she had a better tash than me and I thought we might be velcroed together forever

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 03:11:55 AM »

Another contender from Red-Dog for post of the week.

You sure her butt never said "DID it in 1947"?.....

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: