blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:58:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Hand of the Week - 7th May
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hand of the Week - 7th May  (Read 5087 times)
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 04:19:28 AM »

I would pick up Stuart's cards and chuck them in the muck, then declare "who the daddy" as i scoop the pot.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 09:51:50 PM »

I would pick up Stuart's cards and chuck them in the muck, then declare "who the daddy" as i scoop the pot.

LOL

HI HELEN!
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 10:01:04 PM »

baring in mind Stuart would certainly have me pegged as a total nut peddler by this stage, my call preflop is as good as most peoples raise.

I expect Stuart to try and take it after the flop so I think I muster some stones up and I try a check raise. I'm hoping my super tight image prevents the re-raise all in. I obviously don't want to be calling with the draw.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 10:02:36 PM by AdamM » Logged
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 10:40:35 PM »

Preflop is pretty marginal

Postflop lead then 3-bet allin.
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2007, 11:27:17 PM »

baring in mind Stuart would certainly have me pegged as a total nut peddler by this stage, my call preflop is as good as most peoples raise.

The call gives him the chance to hit for free, the reraise forces him to make a decision without seeing a flop.

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2007, 01:13:51 PM »

if I'm making a stand with a stronger hand then I reraise preflop but the      is pretty marginal so if I'm playing it I'm calling then acting after the flop.

Stuart wouldn't have you pegged as a rock so you calling preflop wouldnt have the same effect as me doing it.
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2007, 01:19:11 PM »

Part 2:

A quick recap to save people from alternating between pages: Katja has got around 15.5k in chips and the blinds are 150/300 with a 25 ante. The table is 9-handed. Stuart Fox is in the cut-off with about 14.5k.

Folded round to Stuart who raises from the cut-off to 900. Katja calls from the small blind holding . The big blind folds.

Flop:

Katja checks, Stuart bets 1,250, Katja raises to 3,500, Stuart calls.

Turn:

Both players check.

River:

Action on you.

1. What do you think of the turn check after the flop check/raise?

2. What sort of hands do you put Stuart on?

3. Given the flop and turn action, is a river bluff worthwhile?

AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 01:40:59 PM »

Katja has gone for the same play as me.

I put another 5k out on the turn.
I'm trying to price stuart out of any straight or flush draw but more likely I have him on AJ/A10 but if he has either of them all my draws are still live.

If I bet the turn I imagine it's push or fold for Stuart and I have to call the allin if it comes. the lattter obviously suits me better

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2007, 03:29:48 PM »

Stuart could well have a house to check behind on the turn, give up the pot and wish you had raised more on the flop.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2007, 08:59:07 PM »

in the unlikely event that I play the hand at all and that following my check raise on the flop with a check on the turn, I'm done with the hand
Harry Demetriou

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2007, 12:02:58 AM »

Part 2:

A quick recap to save people from alternating between pages: Katja has got around 15.5k in chips and the blinds are 150/300 with a 25 ante. The table is 9-handed. Stuart Fox is in the cut-off with about 14.5k.

Folded round to Stuart who raises from the cut-off to 900. Katja calls from the small blind holding . The big blind folds.

Flop:

Katja checks, Stuart bets 1,250, Katja raises to 3,500, Stuart calls.

Turn:

Both players check.

River:

Action on you.

1. What do you think of the turn check after the flop check/raise?

2. What sort of hands do you put Stuart on?

3. Given the flop and turn action, is a river bluff worthwhile?

Talk about a whimpish way to play.

Why would you want to check raise to 3500 and leave yourself with a mere 11k? surely you should have checkraised all in as by giving your opponent the chance to call the check raise you are going to stuffed if not making your hand by the turn. Genrally if you are going to put 25-30% or more of your stack into a pot you are better off pushing the whole lot in as ou give yourself maximum flod equity.

Anyway the play is a check raise so lets stick with that.

1. The check on the turn is very weak. After the check raise on the flop you are supposed to be representing a strong hand so by checking on the turn you are in essence telling your opponent that you are giving up on this hand and conceding defeat. I would have thought Stuart would have been expecting you to follow through with a bet on the turn but your check is either saying that you have a J with a weak kicker or scared he might be holding a ten with a straight draw. Either way Stuart sprobably nw confident that he has the best hand unless you hold a JT and completed a full on the turn which would be a strange way to play a hand where u have flopped two pair.

I don't like my position here as I ahve a Q high and should probably prefer to give up on the hand here but being me and seeing 9k out there for the taking would push my remaining 11k in on the turn. Without a full house or at minimum AA it is a tough call for Stuart.

2. Stuart called a 7.25k pot on the flop after the check raise for 2250 more so he could easily have a pair with a gutshot straight draw or an overpair or a J with a Q or K or A or T kicker or a very wide range of hands because you under check raised compared to the size of the pot. The relatively small check raise doesn't define his hand at all and these are the kinds of hands I put him on when we leave the flop and enter the turn. Your check followed by his check on the turn tells me he is most likely drawing like me or has a full house. Personally it is difficult to see the full house as if he had a set or two pair on the flop and turned a full ouse he would most likely because of the draws on the flop re reraised me as I check raised him indcating a strong hand or at least a big draw even though I was out of position. Hence for his hand I sway towards him holding one pair or a pair with a gutshot straight draw or a flush draw.

3. Because I see Stuart as holding a mediocre type hand I believe that he has not got a monster and that a bluff bet all in has a goood chance of success on the river. He would surely have bet to stop you drawing on the turn or fancy that he is in front so would bet the turn (unless he had a monster which for reasons given above I believe he hasn't got) so I expct him to be forced to fold as he is going to need a mnimum of AJ to call this and even that os a tough call.

Overall this hand seems more complicated to me than it should have been due to the way it was played but such is poker life and varying the way you play is part of the game an eseential for confusing your opponent.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2007, 10:52:49 AM »

I think I will have to make a mental note not to read Harry's reply before I plan to make one..they tend to be all-encompassing...

so she's under checkraised...I think she has to lead the turn on a semi bluff or else completely give away she is on a draw as you don't check a made hand there in case Stuart is drawing. It also, leading the turn, sets you up to make a stab at it in the river if you miss again, which will be your only way to win the hand. Once you check the turn any river attempt won't be that plausible so check fold is really the only option then.

Stuart's check on the turn is interesting...style of player he is I would expect him to bet there...maybe he has a monster? 10 x? trying to entice a river bluff?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2007, 08:39:03 PM »

Played it terribly in my opinion, raising so little on the Flop with a hand that like is ridiculous. She's inviting him to call only to show weakness on the River and pretty much being forced to give it up.
Harry Demetriou

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2007, 02:33:17 AM »

I think I will have to make a mental note not to read Harry's reply before I plan to make one..they tend to be all-encompassing...

Sorry I tend to get carried away with these types of questions.

Nothing in poker life is simple and as always there are infinite possibilities to consider when analyzing any hand. However before I get too carried away the person actually involved in the hand is the best person to actually assess the best way to play the hand as they are the ones feeling where they are at in a hand and are aware of all the previous hand histories between themself and the opponent at the time. As such an outsiders view like that of mine is of limited value compared to the person actually playing the hand as their thinking at the time has more weight and relevance than that of myself or other outsiders.
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2007, 04:49:49 PM »

Sorry, for the delay in the reveal, it'll be up soon. And a new hand started on Monday.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: