blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 27, 2024, 02:43:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2274000 Posts in 66761 Topics by 16949 Members
Latest Member: rockethour
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Prose from a Poshboy
Pages: 1 ... 1312 1313 1314 1315 [1316] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prose from a Poshboy  (Read 2612787 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19725 on: January 28, 2024, 03:59:16 PM »

You, Maria, Ian, (Dunno, looks like Deadman?) Nick.

Haven't seen any of you in a coon's age.

Rather offended here Red dog. I’d be happy for a comparison in poker abilities to Mr Deadman but can leave it with that 😝

Sorry mush, of course its you. I blame old age. (Yours, not mine)

The older I get, the better I was.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #19726 on: January 29, 2024, 05:25:20 PM »

Nice pic, don't really know the people in the photo but I know who they are.

Now everyone looks well, but Nick and Maria don't appear to have aged at all since last I would have seen them - probably 10 years or so ago

sola virtus nobilitat
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #19727 on: January 29, 2024, 10:02:25 PM »

Now everyone looks well, but Nick and Maria don't appear to have aged at all since last I would have seen them - probably 10 years or so ago

So basically saying the rest of us are getting on a bit 😝😝

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #19728 on: February 01, 2024, 06:23:01 PM »

So basically saying the rest of us are getting on a bit 😝😝

Haha, about right

sola virtus nobilitat
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #19729 on: February 17, 2024, 10:52:19 AM »

Hello bagman

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #19730 on: July 10, 2024, 03:32:29 PM »

It's 8pm In Las Vegas. I'm in my hotel room, laptop on the desk, my eyes flitting between this blank page and the mirror right in front of me.

Vegas is so different now. There never used to be a lack of options for dinners, frivolity in the pit, nights out. Now most of those types are either out of poker, or grew out of that life, became more professional and conscientious. I count myself in that bracket, the latter that is. Well maybe the former too...keep reading.

Over nearly 13 years of playing fulltime I've had plenty of spells where I thought, this isn't making me happy I might quit soon. I've never had a good alternative, or things turned around in time and it was forgotten. I've also had times where I could've quit - opportunies in the business world were there for me - but poker was going so well that I couldn’t do it.

Now is the only time both coincide - I want to quit AND I have something I want to do. This isn't some knee-jerk post to busting a few tournaments! I told my family before I came that this would probably be it for me. At first I said barring a big win, but the more I think about it, that'll be the perfect way to go out.

There's a fine line between longevity that's respectable, and longevity that's...sad...I'm proud I'm still here in some ways, but in other ways, feel I'm wasting away a bit. Both emotionally and personally and in opportunity cost, maybe financially too.

The lack of correlation between effort and reward in poker tournaments is just so tough to take, made more so by the travelling and being away from family. Spending 1/3 of the year away from home, and spending most of that time pretty miserable is not exactly the poker dream is it? So if I was still here in 5 years doing that, having supported my family in the process, would I be happy with that? I think not. But that's the reality now and although I could do the cash game trips to Florida or LA or Vegas and regain some sanity, my income is probably capped at a number that doesn't make it worth being away for so long, especially in the face of exciting opportunities elsewhere.

I'm really excited by AI. I think it's going to change the world. And I think I have a good skillset to position myself to make something happen in that industry. I can code, I have networks in business, I have money and I have time. I don't have a well thought out plan, I just want to learn as much as I can and see where my interest leads me. Starting my own business or building a product, I don't know.

We have a second child coming in October, so the timing to leave poker is ideal. I'm not saying I'll never play again. I'll probably play some random tournament stops here and there and a week or two in Vegas for the main event etc. I could caveat and say I could always come back to it if needs be but I kinda wanna be allin and not have that in the back of my mind. But I also don't wanna be the prick that makes a big retirement post then comes back a year later!

It's pretty scary even writing this, cos there's almost no going back if I hit send! Hence why it's now 9pm and I still keep looking in the mirror to make sure this is what I really want! Here goes...What do you guys think of all / any of that?

I sit in the same hotel room as when I made this post, one year on, reflecting on what's happened since. Post incoming.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #19731 on: July 10, 2024, 04:27:30 PM »

So in the year since I quit poker I started with courses in AI, Reinforcement learning and Machine learning. The RL course was the most interesting to me- inspired by the excellent documentary Alpha Go - they use RL to build a program that beat the world's best Go players - a feat nobody thought possible. I'd love to be smart enough to work in that field but I realised I just am not.

From there I lept to video game developing. I learnt for 3 months and developed for 4 months my first game. It's available on steam to play on a PC - a simple kids RPG that takes 15 minutes to complete. I loved that. And the family got involved too. I had my sister in-law do the voiceovers, my brother produce the soundtrack and my wife do the branding.

I don't know whether to pursue that or not. There's no money in it really. If you want to do it solo, you have to get very lucky to hit it big (sounds familiar!). And if you want to work for a studio, you're capped at 40/50k and compeeting with 100+ applicants per job that all have way more experience and talent than me. So I don't really see a path there.

Then for the past couple months I got back into app developing, updated my Poker Flips and Poker Results apps - released 3 new ones - Puzzle AI and Genius Square are puzzle games inspired by games I've played with my son. And made a Darts Checkout Trainer.

Click to see full-size image.

I am totally crap at the marketting side and at the moment they're just sat in the app store with a handful of users generating about £100/month. But once I get my act together and promote them on social media properly, I have hope that that number could increase significantly. So there's potential there.

I really enjoy that and I can do it from home of course which is absolutely what I want. I love home life, being around the kids all the time and have made good friends with the school parents and neighbours. I started playing football with some of the Dads twice a week, which is great. Go to the gym 4 times a week and see friends and family on the weekends. It's just what I've been striving for.

HOWEVER...I may need to actually make some proper money soon. And this recent 10 day trip to Vegas I'm currently about to wrap up has thrown up more questions than it has answered in regards to what role poker will play in my life going forward. This isn't results oriented analysis (because I didn't have any results!) but I loved playing this time round. I played a little smaller than before (mostly just $1k one day comps and the main) and it made the world of difference to my feelings about it all.

I realised that what I love about poker and what I'm good at is playing the exploitative intuition-based game that I came up playing. That's no good vs regs in 3-5k events. And whilst my GTO fundamentals are OK, I made peace with the fact that they won't be as strong as the regs in that pool because I'm not competing with other Dads who play every now and then - I'm competiting against fulltime players who travel all year round to play, and study in their time off. So why would I be competitive with them?

So remove the ego about where I used to be, or where I could be if I was fulltime, or where I think I'm entitled to be because of nonsense reason xyz, or what people might think if they see in me playing x event (!) - and step back - recognise and be at peace with my place and play against mostly other recs! And it's been great! I only wish I was here longer and could be here with family to get more volume in.

So as I said, more questions than answers at this stage!

COME ON ENGLAND.

Main bust out on day two, all in on the turn

Copa America Quarter Final

Waiting for me at home, Mila (9 months) and Mummy
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 04:33:35 PM by cambridgealex » Logged

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19732 on: July 10, 2024, 05:59:18 PM »

So much to like about that post Alex. The intuitive poker thing especially resonated with me quite a lot.

Your little girl is about an 11/10 on the cute scale.

You've contributed a lot to my enjoyment of blonde over the years so thanks for that.

Good luck with what ever you do.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19733 on: July 10, 2024, 06:19:00 PM »

Wow. Sorry about the clichéd reply, but WAL. And fully deserved too.

Please keep us updated.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #19734 on: July 11, 2024, 01:04:17 PM »

So much to like about that post Alex. The intuitive poker thing especially resonated with me quite a lot.

You've contributed a lot to my enjoyment of blonde over the years so thanks for that.

#

+100

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #19735 on: July 11, 2024, 02:28:24 PM »

#

+100

+101 (think this is how it works).

Kid is v cute.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: 1 ... 1312 1313 1314 1315 [1316] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: