Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary

<< < (6950/11337) > >>

Tal:
While I find the story you've reminded me of, allow me to link you to this bewildering tale:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23512853

"Mr Chong's lawyer said that as a result of the incident the DEA had introduced new policies for detention, including checking cells daily..."

tikay:
Quote from: Tal on July 31, 2013, 08:55:24 AM

While I find the story you've reminded me of, allow me to link you to this bewildering tale:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23512853

"Mr Chong's lawyer said that as a result of the incident the DEA had introduced new policies for detention, including checking cells daily..."

Bewildering indeed.

Daniel Chong said he drank his urine to stay alive, tried to carve a message to his mother on his arm and hallucinated.

He was held in a drug raid in 2012, but told he would not be charged. Nobody returned to his cell for four days.

Mr Chong, now 25, said he slid a shoelace under the door and screamed to get attention before five or six people found him covered in his faeces in the cell at the Drug Enforcement Administration's (DEA) San Diego headquarters.

"I didn't just sit there quietly. I was kicking the door yelling”

After Mr Chong was rescued, he spent five days in hospital recovering from dehydration, kidney failure, cramps and a perforated oesophagus. He also lost 15lb (7kg).

All that happened in 4.5 days? And he somehow got $4.7 milli in compo?

I'm a seller. Lock me up for 4.5 days please. I'll cope.

tikay:
OK, so you can't be arsed to google "quotes from Lake Wobegon days".

Well damn you, here are a few to tempt you.

“Anyone who thinks sitting in church can make you a Christian must also think that sitting in a garage can make you a car.”

“Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a purpose.”

“Nothing you do for children is ever wasted.”

"One reads books in order to gain the privilege of living more than one life. People who don't read are trapped in a mine shaft, even if they think the sun is shining.”

“Evelyn was an insomniac so when they say she died in her sleep, you have to question that.”

“They say such nice things about people at their funerals that it makes me sad to realize that I'm going to miss mine by just a few days.”

“Even in a time of elephantine vanity and greed, one never has to look far to see the campfires of gentle people.”

There. NOW go buy that book.

tikay:

One more.

This may be my favourite one today. Tomorrow, maybe not.

“It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars.”

Tal:
Like Oscar Wilde and George Bernard Shaw, there are hundreds of attributed quotes to Sir Winston Churchill and we'll never know whether half of them are accurate or fictitious. Part of the charm for me is that they are plausible; that they align with the character we have in our minds when we think of him.

Your mention of political indiscretion reminded me of one such attribution.

As PM, Winston was reportedly awoken to be told that one of his MPs had been found in a compromising position and a state of some undress in St James' Park with a guardsman. He thought for a moment.

"Last night?"
"Yes, Prime Minister"
"Awfully cold last night?"
"Er..yes, Prime Minister"
"Makes you proud to be British"

As an aside, there was a telegram exchange between two of the quotables I've mentioned above.

Pygmalion was about to have its premiere at HM Theatre in 1913 and the following exchange took place:

George Bernard Shaw
AM RESERVING TWO TICKETS FOR YOU FOR MY PREMIERE. COME AND BRING A FRIEND - IF YOU HAVE ONE

Winston Churchill
IMPOSSIBLE TO BE PRESENT FOR THE FIRST PERFORMANCE. WILL ATTEND THE SECOND - IF THERE IS ONE

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page