blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:10:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3107 3108 3109 3110 [3111] 3112 3113 3114 3115 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6321233 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46650 on: July 09, 2016, 07:16:53 AM »

I opened up now, & we swung between 10 & 20 Bigs, this was huge fun.

Soon, we had laddered, & were fast approaching another ladder.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 07:59:13 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46651 on: July 09, 2016, 07:25:24 AM »

I blinded back down to 10.5 bigs @ 2,000-4,000, then found this.....

This is not monsta, but it is deffo playable with 10 Bigs.

I make it 12,000 I think.

Kid behind me now pots it.

This is a really clear situation. They KNOW my ranges, they know I am super nitty, but Kiddo wants to pot me?

He has to have the Aces.

Can we fold here? Ordinarily, yes, but with around 7 Bigs behind I feel this is the spot to try & get lucky. He may have "bad aces" & my low may be good, plus I have 2 flush draws & a good wheel draw. Ranges in PLO8 run extremely close, we are rarely in terrible shape here, even though we literally MUST be behind.

I just decide its time to go time.

He had bad (ish) aces, all red, with A-6 as his low.

The flop was 8-7-J, two spades, so I have a ton of outs here - my low draw is almost unbreakable (v his), I have 4 to the flush, & the 2 pair & trip draws with the jack.

Unforch, it bricks out, all high, & that was that.

The exit, of course, was, as always with me, a function of motoring along with a small stack. One mistake or outdraw is all it takes.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 08:00:34 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46652 on: July 09, 2016, 07:30:19 AM »

So we finished 56th for $4,873.

Returning overnight with 151 left, & 71 paid, I'd have taken that I think. I was 46th in the same event in 2013, as it happens.

So there we are, the schedule is completed.  

4 cashes, 4 day twos, & a bunch of fun, & we cashed in 2 of the 3 WSOP jobbies, as we were also 36th in the $1,500 PLO.

I could not be more pleased.

And in surprise news, we made a PROFIT on the stake.  

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46653 on: July 09, 2016, 07:35:50 AM »

So Mr Mere, please fire up the spready one more time.

Mere will fill in the numbers - spreadsheets tot things up apparently - & you will all be able to see what returns you are due by clicking the link in my sig, at the foot of my post.

Payments will be made within 7 days of my return to the UK - I'm due home 18th July. Payments will be in sterling, by Bank TX, at the agreed rate, in accordance with the rules set out by Mere.

Never had such fun, & the railing really helped. When blonde crashed just shy of the bubble tonight, it really was not as much fun.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 07:37:33 AM by tikay » Logged

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #46654 on: July 09, 2016, 07:36:27 AM »

Returning overnight with 151 left, & 71 paid, I'd have taken that I think. I was 46th in the same event in 2013, as it happens.

4 cashes, 4 day twos, & a bunch of fun, & we cashed in 2 of the 3 WSOP jobbies, as we were also 36th in the $1,500 PLO.

Great work again and another good pre golf read.

WP sir.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #46655 on: July 09, 2016, 07:36:44 AM »

4 cashes, 4 day twos, & a bunch of fun.

Sure I went at about the same stage in 2013 too.  

The A345 hand a few people before the bubble looks too hard to play well so I'd likely have folded.  

Fwiw adam owen looks to have chunks.  Kept meaning to introduce myself but never got chance.  

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46656 on: July 09, 2016, 07:39:23 AM »

WP sir.

Thanks Adz. Now find us a nice golf winner, please.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46657 on: July 09, 2016, 07:42:50 AM »

4 cashes, 4 day twos, & a bunch of fun.

Sure I went at about the same stage in 2013 too.  

The A345 hand a few people before the bubble looks too hard to play well so I'd likely have folded.  

Fwiw adam owen looks to have chunks.  Kept meaning to introduce myself but never got chance.  

You did (in 2013), I recall you went just shy of the bubble.

The A-3-4-5 hand was not ideal, no, but I had a super nitty image, & most of my raises were getting through. Not sure what I do if he comes over the top - I might just find the fold.  He must have had a broadway type hand, as any low hand or wheel draw smacked that flop hard, but the moment I jammed he folded without even dwelling. And that was really the hand that got us over the line. I think, when it really mattered, we ran pretty good.

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #46658 on: July 09, 2016, 07:43:54 AM »

WP sir.

Thanks Adz. Now find us a nice golf winner, please.

Playing golf I'm afraid.

Semi final of a knockout comp. Playing a woman golfer off two. Somehow I am giving her shots, even though she is better than me because of courtesy strokes!

So much for equality etc.

I digress.

Enjoy the rest of the trip, and thanks for some excellent rides.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #46659 on: July 09, 2016, 07:48:37 AM »

I didn't mention that Peter Charalambous sat down very briefly at my table.  Nodded briefly at him, though not sure if he remembered me.  He had about 50 bigs, maybe a few less.

First hand.  Goes round to cut off on my right who raises to 2500.  I fold.  He then 3 bets and they end up getting it all in.  Cut off had Aa3x.  Hero had A246.

I don't get the need to be so aggro vs an unknown first hand at a new table.  Am reasonably sure his hand plays way better as a call too.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46660 on: July 09, 2016, 07:50:03 AM »

I need to thank Next Door for being most accommodating. I was supposed to be working yesterday & today, but they have been most understanding.

I got to bed at 4am this morning, was up working at 0730, & we recorded some videos at 10am, they then said I could go get some rest before the 2pm restart. 

So from here on in, I need to make up some of that lost time.

It's silly really, it was barely above a min cash, no big deal, & not much for the stakers either. But it meant so much to cash in this, & turn a profit, I can't begin to tell you. 

There's an age thing going off here, too - I enter my 70th year in a few months, & I'm obsessed with failing mental faculties, or more correctly, the fear of them. So this staking adventure has been quite reassuring in some ways.

I'm waffling, sorry - the adrenelin is surging, & I'm all hyped up.

God knows how the likes of Pleno & co sleep after they get their 6 figure binks. I'm absolutely buzzing here.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46661 on: July 09, 2016, 07:55:36 AM »

I didn't mention that Peter Charalambous sat down very briefly at my table.  Nodded briefly at him, though not sure if he remembered me.  He had about 50 bigs, maybe a few less.

First hand.  Goes round to cut off on my right who raises to 2500.  I fold.  He then 3 bets and they end up getting it all in.  Cut off had Aa3x.  Hero had A246.

I don't get the need to be so aggro vs an unknown first hand at a new table.  Am reasonably sure his hand plays way better as a call too.

Well I guess we all play different, but my style in these 4 & 5 card games, all trip, is to try & take a flop, & take it from there, & go down the streets rather than gamble pre-flop. I just prefer that method. I think it maybe a reflection of NLH play, where the game plays quite different.

In the O8 variants, really, I like the "Countdown Style" - 2 from the top (A-K/A-Q) & two from the bottom (A-2/A-3), that sort of thing. I'm not mad keen on getting it all in pre with the bottom end only. 

If I had to risk my tourney life quite early, I'd happily do so with A-2-3-K sort of hands, but not with wheel draws. Prefer to take a flop with a wheel draw, generally. In fact, I prefer to take a flop with most of my range. It depends on stack size, too, & a whole bunch of other things.

Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #46662 on: July 09, 2016, 08:15:09 AM »

Thanks for taking us on a fun journey Tony I enjoyed every second of it, congrats.

Steve
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #46663 on: July 09, 2016, 08:21:04 AM »

I didn't mention that Peter Charalambous sat down very briefly at my table.  Nodded briefly at him, though not sure if he remembered me.  He had about 50 bigs, maybe a few less.

First hand.  Goes round to cut off on my right who raises to 2500.  I fold.  He then 3 bets and they end up getting it all in.  Cut off had Aa3x.  Hero had A246.

I don't get the need to be so aggro vs an unknown first hand at a new table.  Am reasonably sure his hand plays way better as a call too.

Well I guess we all play different, but my style in these 4 & 5 card games, all trip, is to try & take a flop, & take it from there, & go down the streets rather than gamble pre-flop. I just prefer that method. I think it maybe a reflection of NLH play, where the game plays quite different.

In the O8 variants, really, I like the "Countdown Style" - 2 from the top (A-K/A-Q) & two from the bottom (A-2/A-3), that sort of thing. I'm not mad keen on getting it all in pre with the bottom end only. 

If I had to risk my tourney life quite early, I'd happily do so with A-2-3-K sort of hands, but not with wheel draws. Prefer to take a flop with a wheel draw, generally. In fact, I prefer to take a flop with most of my range. It depends on stack size, too, & a whole bunch of other things.

I know you have to work, so won't disturb you for long.  The countdown thing is backed up by simulations.  In the long run, A23k is just a way better hand to get all in pre than A236.  

Problem is there is no "in the long run" for 3k o8 games.  I'd love to come back and play again, but it is something that is hard to do when you have kids.  The fear of failing mental faculties is very much a live one for me too after what happened to my father.  No at all sure they'll still be sharp enough by the time the kids go.  

Will just have to see how we run for the next 12 months.

Finally,  well done on all the cashes Tikay.  I am genuinely very pleased for you.

david3103

View Profile
« Reply #46664 on: July 09, 2016, 08:25:41 AM »

It's been a blast.

Thank you for sharing.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Pages: 1 ... 3107 3108 3109 3110 [3111] 3112 3113 3114 3115 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: