blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:33:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273108 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 1985 1986 1987 1988 [1989] 1990 1991 1992 1993 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6401273 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29820 on: August 13, 2012, 11:45:56 AM »

Did you take in Osborne House?

the tube train from one side to the other? runs to Shanklin I believe

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29821 on: August 13, 2012, 12:08:03 PM »

Did you take in Osborne House?

the tube train from one side to the other? runs to Shanklin I believe

Neither, I'm afraid, time did not permit.

Osborne House was highly recommended, & perfectly located in East Cowes, just as you exit the Car Ferry. Next time. If I did not visit Osborne House, her Ladyship - Queen Victoria no less, now presumably deceased - may not be amused.

Oddly, perhaps, but from the Isle of Wight, I then drove to Brighton, which also has a strong Queen Victoria connection.

Really enjoyable drive from Southampton to Brighton, along the old A27, passing by Arundel Castle, Fontwell & Goodwood, Sussex is stunningly beautiful, especially at this time of year.

Swerved the Isle of Wight Railway. In my youth, it was steam-operated, but these days it is ex London Transport Piccadilly Line stock. They have a Steam Railway, too, but it's just a bit of a toytown thing.

PS - If you keep asking me questions, I'll never get to Post those fascinating photos of walls.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29822 on: August 13, 2012, 12:38:45 PM »

I read a lot of “real-life” crime stuff, no idea why it intrigues me so, but it does.

So the chance to go & visit Parkhurst Prison, where so many of the villains are or were held, could not be missed. 

Quite a surprise, too.

There are actually THREE prisons on the Isle of Wight, being Camphill, Albany, & Parkhurst.

All three sit together, right bang smack next to each other, (bit like Kings Cross & St Pancras railway stations in a way).

Most of the infamous villains of the 50’s, 60’s & 70’s all holidayed there back in the day – the Krays, Mad Frankie, the Richardsons, The Yorkshire Ripper, Ian Brady (moors man), Pretty Boy Shaw.

Now, all three have been amalgamated into one, being HMP Isle of Wight. Boo!

Wiki claims that they teach quite an array of skills there, including this, no less….

There are nine workshops dealing with upholstery, arts & crafts, laundry, wheelchair repairs, breakfast packing, Aramark, BICS Cleaning and gardens

Breakfast packing? What? Must be useful when they re-enter society, that.

There seems something very odd in a “civilized society” about confining grown-ups inside 4 great big walls. Maybe I’ll find out from the inside one of these days, google that statement in a few years’ time & you might get a surprise.

Those famous walls? Just about as dull as walls can get.

Click to see full-size image.

This is the entrance to Camphill.

…..and that is about all you can get to see of Parkhurst & Albany. Parkhurst was where the long-term villains used to be held, & Albany for the sex offenders.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29823 on: August 13, 2012, 12:39:29 PM »

Something caught my eye, even on a bland, dull, wall though.

If you look carefully here, mid photo, you can just about see a white sign on that 5 or 6 metre high wall. .....

Look a little closer, there it is.....

Ahh yes, it all makes perfect sense now. Please don't challenge gravity by using a 6 metre high wall as a footpath.
Obvious, really.

mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #29824 on: August 13, 2012, 02:19:12 PM »

Maybe Dynamo had passed by lately.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29825 on: August 13, 2012, 02:30:04 PM »

Hi Ray.

Who or what is Dynamo?

mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #29826 on: August 13, 2012, 02:35:42 PM »

Hi Ray.

Who or what is Dynamo?

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #29827 on: August 13, 2012, 02:38:37 PM »

There seems something very odd in a “civilized society” about confining grown-ups inside 4 great big walls. Maybe I’ll find out from the inside one of these days, google that statement in a few years’ time & you might get a surprise.

Thinking of applying for a job as a Prison Governor?

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29828 on: August 13, 2012, 02:40:59 PM »

Oh I see, he's a magician, or a illusionist?

Like David Nixon, or Paul Daniels?

hector62

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet

View Profile
« Reply #29829 on: August 13, 2012, 02:44:07 PM »

I got stung by a weever fish when I was little- really painfull and lasted for ages. The only way to avoid them is to wear shoes when you go into the sea as they lie in the sand with their poisonous spines sticking up.

Puristville, Arizona.  Population (1)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29830 on: August 13, 2012, 02:45:25 PM »

I got stung by a weever fish when I was little- really painfull and lasted for ages. The only way to avoid them is to wear shoes when you go into the sea as they lie in the sand with their poisonous spines sticking up.

Not wrong, Mr Hector. Nasty little buggers, them weever things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weever

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #29831 on: August 13, 2012, 02:49:12 PM »

I spent just over 12 months in prisons working on their computer systems all over the country. The things I saw and heard will never cease to amaze me.

A hand gun carved out of 2 bars of soap and covered in black boot polish. I could not have distinguished it from the real thing.

A home made rifle complete with riffling (sp?)  inside the barrell a week after a new high spec lathe had been delivered to the workshop.

A zip gun made from a steel tube, iron fillings and some copper wire.

In one of the establishments it was recognised that over 2 million pounds worth of drugs passed through the gates every year. Some of the methods of smuggling the drugs were uncanny and and only found by the guards by chance.

The most disgusting place was a women's prison in Lincolnshire where the majority of inmates were drugs mules. They used to throw used tampons at visitors and guards.

Ah! The element of surprise
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29832 on: August 13, 2012, 02:52:42 PM »

I spent just over 12 months in prisons working on their computer systems all over the country. The things I saw and heard will never cease to amaze me.

A hand gun carved out of 2 bars of soap and covered in black boot polish. I could not have distinguished it from the real thing.

A home made rifle complete with riffling (sp?)  inside the barrell a week after a new high spec lathe had been delivered to the workshop.

A zip gun made from a steel tube, iron fillings and some copper wire.

In one of the establishments it was recognised that over 2 million pounds worth of drugs passed through the gates every year. Some of the methods of smuggling the drugs were uncanny and and only found by the guards by chance.

The most disgusting place was a women's prison in Lincolnshire where the majority of inmates were drugs mules. They used to throw used tampons at visitors and guards.

Tell us some Prison stories!

Sounds like ingenuity is the key skill.

mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #29833 on: August 13, 2012, 03:06:32 PM »

Oh I see, he's a magician, or a illusionist?

Like David Nixon, or Paul Daniels?

Yeah, he's the "it" thing at the minute in the magic world, very good.
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #29834 on: August 13, 2012, 03:08:28 PM »

Ingenuity is certainly the key. I often thought if some of these inmates applied themselves in a law abiding way they would have been far more successful.

I got locked in a Wing Governors office for 4 hours after 40 or so inmates went on a rampage because their phone rights were suspended. Quite scary when it's just you and a female support guard in the office and they're trying to knock the door in.

In one prison up north the prison went to lock down because an inmate was suspected of SEEING a set of keys. It was thought this particular inmate had photographic memory and could replicate the keys. All the locks had to be changed at a cost of £250k.

I've also seen the softer side where inmates have got more mod cons in their cells than the average spotty poker player.

A cell block with 4 cells, kitchen area and gym built for a single notorious British spy. This block was paid for by one of the security services.

I absolutely loved working in the environment. Knowing I'd be let out each night helped.

Ah! The element of surprise
Pages: 1 ... 1985 1986 1987 1988 [1989] 1990 1991 1992 1993 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: