blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:06:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2954 2955 2956 2957 [2958] 2959 2960 2961 2962 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6319221 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #44355 on: May 04, 2016, 12:54:29 PM »

Tal will be along soon to explain why it is sometimes OK to use question marks and exclamation marks together

I sometimes do it myself, and am pretty sure it comes from reading chess moves in my youth (see below)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_annotation_symbols

I have always assumed that it meant dubious, but it turns out I have been putting them the wrong way round!?

I completely accept that is it the convention in chess annotation - no problem with that, it is a recognized & fine system.

There are also rare &, I would think, perfectly good & correct reasons why a question mark & exclamation point may be used in conjunction.

It's the improper multi-use that is so bad. 

Terry Pratchett wrote......

“Multiple exclamation marks,' he went on, shaking his head, 'are a sure sign of a diseased mind.”

More generally, what we see too much of is over-use of exclamation points generally. This is called "bangorrea". I'd best not discuss that one too much, as it's a bit close to home, or work........

bangorrhea

1) Overusing exclamation points in a vain and failing attempt to make your writing sound more exciting. Trying to put more "bang" in your prose, but looking instead like you have exclamation point diarrhea.

Of course, using too many of them has the EXACT reverse effect from that intended. 

You'd have loved Sky's sporting life website back in the day.  Every single news story and link had an exclamation mark at the end.  It used to drive me nuts.  4.30 at Plumpton!  Greyhound results!  Snooker!

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44356 on: May 04, 2016, 01:07:20 PM »

Tal will be along soon to explain why it is sometimes OK to use question marks and exclamation marks together

I sometimes do it myself, and am pretty sure it comes from reading chess moves in my youth (see below)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_annotation_symbols

I have always assumed that it meant dubious, but it turns out I have been putting them the wrong way round!?

I completely accept that is it the convention in chess annotation - no problem with that, it is a recognized & fine system.

There are also rare &, I would think, perfectly good & correct reasons why a question mark & exclamation point may be used in conjunction.

It's the improper multi-use that is so bad. 

Terry Pratchett wrote......

“Multiple exclamation marks,' he went on, shaking his head, 'are a sure sign of a diseased mind.”

More generally, what we see too much of is over-use of exclamation points generally. This is called "bangorrea". I'd best not discuss that one too much, as it's a bit close to home, or work........

bangorrhea

1) Overusing exclamation points in a vain and failing attempt to make your writing sound more exciting. Trying to put more "bang" in your prose, but looking instead like you have exclamation point diarrhea.

Of course, using too many of them has the EXACT reverse effect from that intended. 

You'd have loved Sky's sporting life website back in the day.  Every single news story and link had an exclamation mark at the end.  It used to drive me nuts.  4.30 at Plumpton!  Greyhound results!  Snooker!

Don't go there Doobs, please.

They still do to some extent, this is from today's SportingLife.com offerings....

Pick 6 & win £10k!

Play Wednesday's Channel 4 Racing Pick 6 for free! The game takes in Chester and Kelso and you could win £10K!

That's 3 sentences, & 3 exclamation marks. Does it get worse than that, ever, anywhere? I don't think so.

However, if you look at the general content (upper case C), they don't use any exclamation marks.

Different authors, you see. One is done by genuine writers, others by the "PR" people. And the latter don't quite get it. IMO, of course. How can ANY sane person be impressed by that? I should add, the SportibgLife.com website is a spectacular success as part of the SB&G family, & does it's job (acquisition) extremely successfully, more so of late after the revamp.

I've taken The Times every day for almost 50 years now, & can't ever recall seeing them use an exclamation mark. Class, you see?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44357 on: May 04, 2016, 01:08:11 PM »

Matt Elliott

when and where can i watch last night's show please?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44358 on: May 04, 2016, 01:10:49 PM »

Matt Elliott

when and where can i watch last night's show please?

There will be a full You Tube version released in 7 days, next Tuesday, Rich. Don't think they are allowed to release the You Tube version until 7 days after the Show.

If I can get it earlier, I'll let you or Matt know. I'll post the link as soon as I get it.

He was very enjoyable company, I must say.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44359 on: May 04, 2016, 01:26:28 PM »

Thought the show was great last night. Seems like a good format. Was good to see you looking well 👍🏻

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44360 on: May 04, 2016, 01:34:45 PM »

Thought the show was great last night. Seems like a good format. Was good to see you looking well 👍🏻

Ha, thanks Vinny.

A question from you was read out by Mr Orford, & he asked me how to pronounce the name "Calenti".

I really had to bite my tongue, what an open goal that was.

Matt mentioned that he so nearly signed for Martin O'Neill at Celtic, but something went wrong, & they sort of fell out over it. It seemed a little delicate, so I never inquired further. He had previously said that when he played for Martin, Martin was "God", & he'd do anything Martin asked of him.

It was quite odd to hear tales of football from 10 or 15 years ago, when it was not at all unusual for a defender to be asked to play "up front". Not something we see too often these days, with these huge, bloated squad sizes. It was always rather enjoyable to see a fish out of water, some big lump of a centre half, playing as a centre forward, or, as we are required to describe it these days, "striker".

Magic817

View Profile
« Reply #44361 on: May 04, 2016, 03:24:53 PM »

Ha, thanks Vinny.

A question from you was read out by Mr Orford, & he asked me how to pronounce the name "Calenti".

Matt mentioned that he so nearly signed for Martin O'Neill at Celtic, but something went wrong, & they sort of fell out over it. It seemed a little delicate, so I never inquired further. He had previously said that when he played for Martin, Martin was "God", & he'd do anything Martin asked of him.

It was quite odd to hear tales of football from 10 or 15 years ago, when it was not at all unusual for a defender to be asked to play "up front". Not something we see too often these days, with these huge, bloated squad sizes. It was always rather enjoyable to see a fish out of water, some big lump of a centre half, playing as a centre forward, or, as we are required to describe it these days, "striker".

Stick the big man up top and get amongst them! Those were the days!!!

I was never asked to do that.
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44362 on: May 04, 2016, 03:50:11 PM »

Investment/donation for Vegas staking dispatched today.

Cymru am byth
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44363 on: May 04, 2016, 04:27:07 PM »

Hi Carl,

If we can assume - & I think we reasonably can - that your reference was "Staking Debacle 2016", then yes, thank you, safely received.

£89 PAID by Bank TX, Mohican.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44364 on: May 04, 2016, 04:30:33 PM »

Ha, thanks Vinny.

Stick the big man up top and get amongst them! Those were the days!!!

I was never asked to do that.

Thought you used to play NFL?

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #44365 on: May 05, 2016, 10:28:35 AM »

Yup, how good was Matt Elliot the other night?

From watching him play, assumed he'd be another Martin Keown type.

Top five guests of all time?

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
HutchGF

View Profile
« Reply #44366 on: May 05, 2016, 01:33:14 PM »

I'd like to take 1% of the Vegas package if possible please.

I have just read far too many pages of this diary in a row; felt myself getting sucked in by the easy flowing writing and gentle banter. It really is an excellent read and I shall endeavor to keep up to date in future.

Many thanks and I shall ensure there is no unwarranted punctuation on my part.
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44367 on: May 05, 2016, 01:57:17 PM »

Hi Carl,

If we can assume - & I think we reasonably can - that your reference was "Staking Debacle 2016", then yes, thank you, safely received.

£89 PAID by Bank TX, Mohican.
Just the small matter of changing the ref on your bank details in my app from 'Staking debacle 2015'.

Cymru am byth
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44368 on: May 05, 2016, 02:00:06 PM »

Yup, how good was Matt Elliot the other night?

From watching him play, assumed he'd be another Martin Keown type.

Top five guests of all time?

Crikey, what a great question.

I'll have to give that some thought.

I'll get back to you after a bit of a peruse & muse, but one name keeps jumping to the front of my mind - Max Rushden.

Intelligent, articulate, extremely sharp & quick witted, very funny, & a consummate professional in every way. 

Great company, too. Oddly, though it won't go down too well with many, but I liked both Mick Fitzgerald, & the darts bloke, Wayne Mardle. In poker, Kev Allen was a cracker, a real natural in front of the cameras, very relaxed, & he has a wealth of great stories.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44369 on: May 05, 2016, 02:05:17 PM »

I'd like to take 1% of the Vegas package if possible please.

I have just read far too many pages of this diary in a row; felt myself getting sucked in by the easy flowing writing and gentle banter. It really is an excellent read and I shall endeavor to keep up to date in future.

Many thanks and I shall ensure there is no unwarranted punctuation on my part.

I'm immensely grateful for those kind words, thank you.

Our best writer on blonde is, imo, Tom, aka Red-Dog, but he seems to be on a blonde sabbatical at the mo & is in read-only mode. He's much missed, needless to say. 

1%? Yes, delighted, thank you very much.

I'd best do a tot up soon, & see where we are - don't really want to go above 50%, or a figure close to it, but yes, 1% is booked, & welcome aboard.  Can't promise sky high returns, or even any returns, though you never know, but I'll try & do some vicarious Vegas stuff for those not lucky enough to be there.

Pages: 1 ... 2954 2955 2956 2957 [2958] 2959 2960 2961 2962 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: