blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:13:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3203 3204 3205 3206 [3207] 3208 3209 3210 3211 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6297488 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #48090 on: April 26, 2017, 09:38:20 AM »

First up, 2 shout-outs for good friends of mine.

On Sunday, the 8pm Main Event Next Door was won by none other than Doobs.

I mean, it's not the Sunday Million, but at just over £4,000 it's handy enough.

That's the buy-ins for his Vegas trip sorted.

Nice one Doobs, well pleased for you.

Cheers Tony, £4k is a bit more than I have won in quite some time.  Most O8 tournaments on stars have a first prize of less than $1k, and I don't play much else these days. 

To be fair, I was gifted it.  I flopped quads in position, and one opponent had the full house and the other went for a mighty bluff with air.  Than later when I was no longer biggest stack, I flopped a full house vs the big stack with an air ball, and a lot of heart.

Mattbates was one of the few who didn't go nuts and just got unlucky in the end with a worse pair heads up.  Well done him on getting those 3 results in a row, it takes some doing.  Takes me 2 nights to recover from the one final table. 

I did play the million, and someone went nuts in that, 3 bet massive shoving with 9h5h blind vs blind.  That didn't work out so well for me. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48091 on: April 26, 2017, 09:42:43 AM »

Headingly Cricket Ground covered by a thin blanket of snow yesterday, 25th April.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #48092 on: April 26, 2017, 09:51:31 AM »

Cheers Tony, £4k is a bit more than I have won in quite some time.  Most O8 tournaments on stars have a first prize of less than $1k, and I don't play much else these days. 

To be fair, I was gifted it.  I flopped quads in position, and one opponent had the full house and the other went for a mighty bluff with air.  Than later when I was no longer biggest stack, I flopped a full house vs the big stack with an air ball, and a lot of heart.

Mattbates was one of the few who didn't go nuts and just got unlucky in the end with a worse pair heads up.  Well done him on getting those 3 results in a row, it takes some doing.  Takes me 2 nights to recover from the one final table. 

I did play the million, and someone went nuts in that, 3 bet massive shoving with 9h5h blind vs blind.  That didn't work out so well for me. 

Great stuff Doobs, well done Smiley
Magic817

View Profile
« Reply #48093 on: April 26, 2017, 11:17:51 AM »

The 2nd shout out is a really odd one.

The Main Event Next Door on Sunday had 125 runners.

The Main Event Next Door on Monday had 248 runners.

The Main Event Next Door on Tuesday had 242 runners.

Nothing remarkable there you might think, & you'd be right.

But here's the thing - the same player finished 2nd all three nights.

The player is MattBates, who is Magic817 here.

No idea what the odds of being 2nd 3 nights running in those sized fields, but it must be unique, or nearly so.

The only photo I could find of young Master Bates was this, presumably when he appeared on Sky Poker TV.

Thanks for the mention good sir.

Funny game is poker, great results for me but you always want the win against your name.
Magic817

View Profile
« Reply #48094 on: April 26, 2017, 11:36:07 AM »

I know you had the gift but you played your stack once given very well. WP
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48095 on: April 26, 2017, 11:45:33 AM »

Well done Doobs and Magic.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48096 on: April 26, 2017, 11:58:15 AM »

Well done Doobs and Magic.

Rather remiss of me, but I forgot to mention another blonde ledge who is on a hot run right now.

Sunday Main Event, 118th of 125

Monday Main Event, 241st of 248

Take a bow Dewi-Cool.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48097 on: April 26, 2017, 12:24:41 PM »

Thank you Mr Strak Sir.

I'm now going to try to top that.

Back in 1979, Paddington Station celebrated it's 125th Anniversary.

To mark the occasion, they did a similar thing to that link you posted - ran "the old & the new" alongside each other.

The idea was an excursion to Didcot and back, with "new" repped by an HST125, & "old" by the famous & iconic steam Locomotive King George V, no 6000. (Both my Dad & my Grandad drove & fired # 6000 at different times).

On this occasion, my Dad was chosen to be the driver of 6000.  

Was a proper big occasion, the newspapers and TV came to our house in West Acton to interview Dad, proper made up we all were.

Unforch, it all went terribly wrong when 60000 developed a "hot box" (faulty axle) at Didcot, & had to suffer the indignity of being towed back to Old Oak Common by a Diesel Loco.

Here's 1) an artists impression of the 2 trains about to leave Paddington, & b) a photo of the same thing. In the photo, the driver can be seen but can't really be clearly identified, but that would have been my Dad.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48098 on: April 26, 2017, 12:27:40 PM »

I just found a news article about ^^^^ which explains it better;

A contemporary report ran: "A great railway nostalgia trip ran out of steam yesterday. The gleaming Great Western Railway engine 'King George V' left Paddington to a great send-off to celebrate the 125th anniversary of Brunel's station. One hour and 17 minutes later it stood in a siding at Didcot, Oxfordshire - waiting for repairs. The 500 steam fans who paid £12.50 for the return journey went back to London on a diesel train. The Swindon-built 'King George V', now in its 53rd year, came to a halt after an axle box on one of the driving wheels overheated and was in danger of seizing up. The 50-mile route was lined with tens of thousands of sightseers anxious to catch a glimpse of the engine. Impertinent Inter-City diesel upstarts whistled greetings as they rushed past their elderly counterpart."

© Manchester Daily Express / Science & Society Picture Library

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 12:29:48 PM by tikay » Logged

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48099 on: April 26, 2017, 01:10:15 PM »

Yesterday was a big day for me, as I started Cardiac Rehab at Epsom & St Helier Hospital.

"Cardiac Rehab" is a posh term for supervised gym work, including aerobics & all that stuff. Incidentally, I also "celebrated" 6 weeks and 1 day since I quit smoking, & the same period since I last played a hand of poker. Smoking has gone for good, I hope, but poker will resume very shortly as I need to get back into gear for Vegas. I just needed to adjust to a new lifestyle first.

Anyway, back to the Cardiac Rehab. Gill, who has been magnificent throughout this whole episode, went and got me a whole new set of "sports clothes" to wear in the gym.

New trainers

New ankle socks (WTF are ankle socks about?)

"Cuffed" tracky bottoms. (What happened to bicycle clips?).

Sports shorts.

Sports shirt.

The whole works, everything new from top to bottom. I felt a right 'nana, it was like first day at school.

Anyway, I arrived at the Hossie & there were 9 of us in the Cardiac Rehab "class". Think I was easily the oldest, incidentally.

And all 8 of the others had a brand new set of gym clothes, head to toe.

It was all hard work at first, but it was pretty good really, & today I've began my "home" exercise regime too.

One comical thing at the Rehab was that two of the attendees still had the labels dangling from there nice new tracky bottoms. Several of us noticed, & exchanged wry smiles at the silly old buggers. 

When I got home & got changed, I noticed I still had all my labels on my new clothes, including tracky bottoms.

Silly old buggers indeed.

Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #48100 on: April 26, 2017, 02:03:54 PM »

One comical thing at the Rehab was that two of the attendees still had the labels dangling from there nice new tracky bottoms. Several of us noticed, & exchanged wry smiles at the silly old buggers. 

When I got home & got changed, I noticed I still had all my labels on my new clothes, including tracky bottoms.

Quality Cheesy

Well done on the not smoking! I will be biting the bullet on that one tomorrow.

Hopefully see you back on the tables soon.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #48101 on: April 26, 2017, 02:32:30 PM »

Quality Cheesy

Well done on the not smoking! I will be biting the bullet on that one tomorrow.

Hopefully see you back on the tables soon.

Loved this too. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #48102 on: April 26, 2017, 03:24:21 PM »

I made an interesting discovery in my new garden last week that I thought you might like. When I first bought the place the discovery of a badger set was a bit of a shocker. Obviously something that I have to plan around...

Last week whilst digging out the old pond I found that I also have a large quantity of newts to contend with. I can't remember the last time I saw a newt so it was brilliant to see.

Obviously all work on the pond has stopped while I figure out what to do. I quite like the thought of having badgers and newts plus whatever else turns up living in my garden. My original plan of ripping everything apart has now subsided somewhat as the thought of making little critters homeless doesn't sit well with me at all.

It's turning out to be a proper haven for wildlife Smiley

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #48103 on: April 26, 2017, 04:07:19 PM »

I made an interesting discovery in my new garden last week that I thought you might like. When I first bought the place the discovery of a badger set was a bit of a shocker. Obviously something that I have to plan around...

Last week whilst digging out the old pond I found that I also have a large quantity of newts to contend with. I can't remember the last time I saw a newt so it was brilliant to see.

Obviously all work on the pond has stopped while I figure out what to do. I quite like the thought of having badgers and newts plus whatever else turns up living in my garden. My original plan of ripping everything apart has now subsided somewhat as the thought of making little critters homeless doesn't sit well with me at all.

Had  any birds round yet?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48104 on: April 26, 2017, 04:53:49 PM »

Had  any birds round yet?

No need for that Mr G.

Pages: 1 ... 3203 3204 3205 3206 [3207] 3208 3209 3210 3211 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: