blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:24:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272431 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3717 3718 3719 3720 [3721] 3722 3723 3724 3725 ... 3776 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6285462 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55800 on: August 17, 2021, 09:36:33 PM »

As amazing photographs go this is the nuts.

It may not be genuine, but it's supposedly the inside of an USAF military aircraft (C17 Globemaster), evacuating Afghans from Kabul earlier today.

The article stated it had 640 passengers on board. God knows what will become of them all, but I guess anything is better than what they were facing.

PS - I'll never complain about cramped seating on a flight again.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #55801 on: August 18, 2021, 10:26:15 AM »

How did they get the food n drinks trolley through?
Or duty free 😂😂
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #55802 on: August 18, 2021, 10:30:09 AM »

Both my mates tested positive on lateral flow tests then  Pcr tests at a local test site
Both felt rough as till yesterday
Worst symptom was a headache with mild flu symptoms temperature
No loss of smell or taste though
Fingers crossed
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55803 on: August 18, 2021, 10:34:10 AM »

Both my mates tested positive on lateral flow tests then  Pcr tests at a local test site
Fingers crossed

Were these the lads that had been playing poker last week?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #55804 on: August 18, 2021, 03:08:41 PM »

Fingers crossed

Were these the lads that had been playing poker last week?

Yes
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55805 on: August 20, 2021, 09:42:54 PM »

Saw this photo on Twitter, & it took me back to my childhood.

It was my job to light the fire every morning. Crumple up some newspapers for the base of the fire, overlay it with chopped pieces of wood (from railway sleepers, which I'd pre-chopped & sliced), a little coal on top, then light the paper. Give it a few minutes, & when it did not "take", hold newspaper over the fireplace to "draw" the fire. Amazingly effective, though when the sheet of newspaper caught light, as it often did, shit got real. 

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #55806 on: August 20, 2021, 10:26:20 PM »

It was my job to light the fire every morning. Crumple up some newspapers for the base of the fire, overlay it with chopped pieces of wood (from railway sleepers, which I'd pre-chopped & sliced), a little coal on top, then light the paper. Give it a few minutes, & when it did not "take", hold newspaper over the fireplace to "draw" the fire. Amazingly effective, though when the sheet of newspaper caught light, as it often did, shit got real. 

That was my job when we moved over to Scotland, up first in a freezing metal framed pre-fab with ice on the inside of the windows to light the fire (took about 2 years to feel warm again Cheesy). If my dad had banked the fire well enough the night before with a layer of dross to keep it smouldering it would relight straight from the embers still there, otherwise it was as you say. Also shinning up the drainpipe and getting the chimney brush thrown up for me to sweep the chimney.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55807 on: August 20, 2021, 10:27:53 PM »

Pretty sure Camel is a huge Will Kassouf fan.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55808 on: August 20, 2021, 10:31:47 PM »

Talking of Camel, here he is at York today. Can barely believe that Pizza Bloke is Jake, his son.

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55809 on: August 21, 2021, 09:12:46 AM »

Oh my , can remember lighting the fire in the "front room" , also used to help my dad chop kindling when i was a wee lad

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55810 on: August 21, 2021, 09:33:33 AM »

Had something similar to this , made sawing sleepers(as dad worked for the railway we had an endless supply ) a lot easier.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55811 on: August 21, 2021, 09:47:13 AM »

Had something similar to this , made sawing sleepers(as dad worked for the railway we had an endless supply ) a lot easier.

Ha, that's cheating, I had to do mine by hand, with an axe, & I've still got the scars of a mis-timed chop on my right hand.

Same here, we got them free, as many as we wanted, as Dad was on the railway.

The best ones were badly oil-stained, which made them burn better. During their "working life" they would have been sprayed with creosote many times & I can still vividly remember the smell of creosote when the sleepers were chopped up.  

I may make a fool of myself here, but railway sleepers are amazingly versatile & useful things, & I'll be amazed if Tom has not used them extensively, or at least traded them. Bet he got them from Wards too, though maybe he sold them to Wards. They were, back in the day, a very tradeable commodity.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 09:49:05 AM by tikay » Logged

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55812 on: August 21, 2021, 05:38:55 PM »

Bought and sold plenty of sleepers in my time.

I built these terraces on some waste ground in the village with the last lot.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55813 on: August 21, 2021, 06:31:46 PM »

I often got the odd sleeper with chairs still attached and occasionally, a dollop of chairs that someone had "liberated".

The older I get, the better I was.
Kid Grimsby

View Profile
« Reply #55814 on: August 22, 2021, 11:29:11 AM »

Hi Everyone,

It's great to see such varied slices of peoples memories, its unlocked a cascade of my own over the years:

Being the youngest of the litter I was:

Guzzunder emptier & cleaner, there were many dangerous "Tank Slapping" moments over the years.

Maintainer of the the two candles under the water cistern in the outside lavvie durning all those cold winters of the 50's and 60's  - what happened to all the dire warnings of a new Ice Age?.

Tranfering hot water from the copper in the backyard to the bath in front of the fire on a Friday night.

Gas & Electric meter reader and putting the pennies in to ensure our Reddifusion TV never went dark.

Collecting & storing the accumilating dust in the coalhouse in readiness for keeping the fire alight 24/7 over Christmas  - Only 4 months to go..............

Enjoy your day,

Sue & I are back playing Redtooth poker on a Sunday evening with our kids and around 15 other great people.
Pages: 1 ... 3717 3718 3719 3720 [3721] 3722 3723 3724 3725 ... 3776 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: