blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 01:58:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2274184 Posts in 66765 Topics by 16955 Members
Latest Member: Airdraken
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  WSOP - Final Day
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WSOP - Final Day  (Read 46501 times)
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« on: July 17, 2007, 04:33:58 PM »

Hello everyone. As you know, Jen, Floppy and I brought the live updates to a halt a few days ago due to lack of access, but we're still here in Vegas. NoflopsHomer is probably in bed after sleeping off a night on the tiles with antesup whilst Jen is visiting family in California. Meanwhile, I'm stuck in my hotel room waiting patiently for my flight to depart... on the 18th. After 3 and a half weeks here, I'm quite keen to leave now. I'm missing my immediate family and girlfriend, Dana, and feel a bit stranded. I don't mind Vegas, and at any other time I'd be whizzing around the place looking for things to do, but now we're at the tail end of the trip, it's all become a lit stale and jaded.

It's true what they say, there really is no day or night in Vegas, and that has become crystal clear with my sleeping and eating habits. My apetite has completely vanished after living off a Subway per day and I'm finding myself forcing food down my mouth to keep myself going. Also, I went to bed at 5pm yesterday afternoon and woke up at 1am this morning, so every thing's a bit topsy turvy and my head is really starting to spin.

However, what really has got the adrenalin going is the fact that a Brit is still in the Main Event. Unlike Jen, tikay and co, I've never been around come final day, and I thought it would be ace to pop down and see it in action, even if was only just for an hour or two. Seeing that I've got a few hours to kill, I thought I'd pop in early doors and check out the atmosphere before heading over to the press conference with the players at 10am, which is about 90 minutes time.

This is not a live update
, but I just thought I'd open this thread to post a few observations and photos, and provide everyone with a place to share news on the final and offer their support to Jon. Skalie's a cracking lad and I'm yet to meet anyone who has a bad word to say about him, so I genuinely hope he takes this one down to become the first Brit in history to win the World Series Main Event.

Good luck Skalie!

snoops
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 04:55:50 PM by snoopy1239 » Logged
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 04:34:31 PM »

bios, chip counts and whatnot can be found here:

http://www.blondepoker.com/index.php?q=node/11093
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 04:51:35 PM »

There's a real eerie silence here at the Rio - it honestly doesn't feel as though 8.5 million is going to be won today. At the moment, all I can see are a few security guards wandering around the cardroom aimlessly. I'm sure it'll pick up soon with the hordes of spectators and eager-to-get-on-tv spectators coming in their droves.

The cardroom looks really odd. There are no tables, they've all been cleared, so it's basically a big empty chasm of a space with a load of chairs crammed into the corner. If they told me that they'd moved the final elsewhere, I wouldn't be surprised. Very surreal.

the stage area is still there, but they seem to have moved it around a little to cater for a larger audience. You probably can't make it out from the photo, but there's a raised area overlooking the playing area with sofas and other comfy chairs. I guess the vip's will be watching from here.
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 04:54:09 PM »

Here's further evidence of how quiet it is. Admittedly, play doesn't commence for another three hours, but a week or two ago, this hallway would have been brimming with poker enthusiasts, not to mention the odd dollop of norkage.
The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 04:56:16 PM »

Snoops, You really need to eat more than a nibble on a sub, You will have no energy and Darna will soon wear you out on your return.

snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 05:02:56 PM »

Snoops, You really need to eat more than a nibble on a sub, You will have no energy and Darna will soon wear you out on your return.

I hope so  Grin
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 05:07:21 PM »

There's this matlepiece kinda furnishing thingy out in the hallway that shows winners of various events. It flickers annoyingly and looks really tacky, so I'm not a fan.
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 05:11:23 PM »

Talking of thingy majiggies, two other features down the hallway are this clock (they're really pushing the makers of the bracelets this year) and a cubicle which blows money around. It reminds me of that one in Noel's House Party when they did grab a grand, except this one has gone tits up with most of the dosh sticking to the sides and not blowing around like it should do. I managed to grab one of the notes through a little slit and pull it out, but it turned out to be Monopoly money so I popped it back in before security spotted me.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 05:13:00 PM by snoopy1239 » Logged
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 05:16:53 PM »

This, ladies and gentleman, is one of my favourites parts of Vegas. Not only is this the walkway where most of the players enter the convention centre, but it's also where 4 or 5 fans spray water at you. I can't tell you how enjoyable that short walk can be when it's 117 degrees Fahrenheit, as it was not too long ago.
The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 05:19:04 PM »

I had one of them fans all to myself whilst tanning up, it was absolute sheer bliss. It was soooo nice that i forgot how hot it was and burnt my paps.

snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 05:20:27 PM »

I had one of them fans all to myself whilst tanning up, it was absolute sheer bliss. It was soooo nice that i forgot how hot it was and burnt my paps.

I might buy one that sprays heat for back home.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 05:25:43 PM »

Beautifully put.

Grin

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 05:26:20 PM »

Not sure if they're up to date or not, but I noticed these odds on paddy:

Jon Kalmar                   7-2
Philip Hilm                    4-1
Tuan Lam                     9-2
Raymond Rahme          6-1
Lee Watkinson             7-1
Lee Childs                    8-1
Hevad Khan                 11-1
Alex Kravchenko         12-1
Jerry Yang                    14-1

Not sure if they've changed or not, but is Kravchenko worth a punt at 12-1. I know he hasn't got many chips, but as Roland proved in Ireland earlier this year, it only take one double up. He's also got a bracelet under his belt, so he's no mug.
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 05:27:05 PM »

Beautifully put.

Grin

What are paps?
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 05:30:39 PM »

One a sidenote, there are some cracking photos (courtesy of Rhowena) recently uploaded onto the Main Site. Some big names in there, but I feel the blondeites will be more interested in Miss Coren. I've also taken over 500 this week, so keep an eye out for them too. I'll try and get them uploaded when I get back, as well as adding them to blondepedia.

http://www.blondepoker.com/index.php?q=image/tid/260
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 33 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: