blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:47:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272481 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Back to Grinding
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Back to Grinding  (Read 897 times)
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2007, 04:15:26 PM »

I'm back grinding cash games for a while to build up my bankroll a bit (hopefully).  Starting at at low limits of $0.10/$0.25NL and it's all going ok with the exception of this hand.

It's more of a How to deal with this type of player question rather than the hand itself.

Mcspits2387 is the villan here.  At the time I only had about 30 hands on the guy and he was running a VPIP of 80% and Preflop raise of 30% - this is quite high isn't it.  Even at the end of my session, he was still running at 75/25.  He's not once folded to a preflop raise on his BB and always calls bets or raises on the flop, but sometimes folds to a bet on the turn.

POKERSTARS GAME #11939545613:  HOLD'EM NO LIMIT ($0.10/$0.25) - 2007/09/08 - 10:33:12 (ET)
Table 'Huberta' 6-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: Köterklaus ($18.10 in chips)
Seat 2: J.A. Thelot ($19.20 in chips)
Seat 3: Graham0573 ($22.45 in chips)
Seat 4: Mcspits2387 ($16.70 in chips)
Seat 5: Derisus ($8.60 in chips)
Köterklaus: posts small blind $0.10
J.A. Thelot: posts big blind $0.25
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Graham0573 [Ah ]
Graham0573: raises $0.50 to $0.75
Mcspits2387: calls $0.75
Derisus: calls $0.75
Köterklaus: folds
J.A. Thelot: folds

Ok up to here?

Then the flop

*** FLOP *** [ ]
Graham0573: bets $2
Mcspits2387: raises $2 to $4
Derisus: folds
Graham0573: raises $8 to $12
Mcspits2387: calls $8

Now here I didn't really know what to do so on hitting TPTK, I just decided to put him all in.  Would you fold to the raise against this type of player with just TPTK?

AdamG

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 05:37:20 PM »

against this type of player if u flop tptk then its usually good apart from this sort of flop, he could be on a big draw or could just have flush / str8 draw... i would also put him all in / reraise him when he bets as he is so loose and low stakes.

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=36782.0
Alias' >>> DeeohDoubleG - PokerStars    adamg001/TrustinMe - DTD    Garvey001 - FullTilt <<<
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 05:58:35 PM »

I call his re raise and reassess on the turn

The auto raise could be qj-qk which is what you're beating.

If you look at whats beating you though.... q10 ,q9 ,910 ,99 also i think you can include aa-1010(it's not uncommon for weaker players to flat call with big pairs here and see multiway flops at this level) i think it's better to play this hand a lot more cautiously.

This is definitely NOT the type of marginal situation i want to be getting all my money in with at this level, especially with how easy it is to stack opponent after opponent by just waiting for nut(or near) situations because you WILL get paid

Even against a pair of nines and a flush draw your getting your money in when your winning but a rag to win the hand and racing for your stack, your putting the equity advantage back in the favour of the recreational player

edit- sorry i didn't say what i would do on the turn

Factoring in the two possible flopped straights as well i fold to any sort of proper bet on the turn though for the extra $2 on the flop i think you have to see if he fires the turn because so often at these stakes the flop auto raise is about the standard your opponents bluffing capabilities.

even the jq  is only going in a 6% rag for the race and i think if you're looking to build up a roll at these levels when all the money goes in i think you have to be looking at a lot more equity that 56% in the long term to achieve your goal.

playing at $1/2 or less i approach it like this, fire up 4-6 tables and look to get blinded away, can you imagine the interminable task of anteing off 100 bb on 6 different tables!!! but thats what i look to do, no need to play poker here, the standard is still pretty bad.

now if you sit there with the sole intention of just watching everyone else, folding hand after hand after hand at $1/2 and less i think you'd be surprised by the end of the session how many times you got payed with the nut hand, how many times you KNEW you had the best hand you'd look back at this aq situation and wouldn't even dream of using a buy in(or about 75% or whatever is was).

I dont know how much you put into pokertracker ect but ive never used it for low limit poker($1/2 or less) because ABC poker has always surficed and although there is a steady improvement at these levels as people utilise the internet format to improve their game we are VERY far of from ABC not surficing!!

give it a try, turn off poker tracker, fire up 4 tables, If theres a situation where theres ANY doubt, i mean ANY doubt fold it!  play standard ABC, dont run ONE bluff(it doesn't really matter how rocked up you are, the traffic on these tables are vast and so many players are recreational and not there long enough to notice) bet your big hands(on every sreet, nothing too cute) underplay draws and i think you might be surprised by how easy it is to get paid and how unnecessary it is to be getting all your money in with AQ in such a marginal situation
gl thumbs up

« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 05:55:40 PM by bolt pp » Logged
temp0r

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 07:15:25 PM »

if you put him all-in here he's only gonna call if he's beating you. so flat call and shove a un-scary turn unless he's a marked fish.
bhoywonder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 06:33:56 PM »

I call his re raise and reassess on the turn

The auto raise could be qj-qk which is what you're beating.

If you look at whats beating you though.... q10 ,q9 ,910 ,99 also i think you can include aa-1010(it's not uncommon for weaker players to flat call with big pairs here and see multiway flops at this level) i think it's better to play this hand a lot more cautiously.

This is definitely NOT the type of marginal situation i want to be getting all my money in with at this level, especially with how easy it is to stack opponent after opponent by just waiting for nut(or near) situations because you WILL get paid

Even against a pair of nines and a flush draw your getting your money in when your winning but a rag to win the hand and racing for your stack, your putting the equity advantage back in the favour of the recreational player

edit- sorry i didn't say what i would do on the turn

Factoring in the two possible flopped straights as well i fold to any sort of proper bet on the turn though for the extra $2 on the flop i think you have to see if he fires the turn because so often at these stakes the flop auto raise is about the standard your opponents bluffing capabilities.

even the jq  is only going in a 6% rag for the race and i think if you're looking to build up a roll at these levels when all the money goes in i think you have to be looking at a lot more equity that 56% in the long term to achieve your goal.

playing at $1/2 or less i approach it like this, fire up 4-6 tables and look to get blinded away, can you imagine the interminable task of anteing off 100 bb on 6 different tables!!! but thats what i look to do, no need to play poker here, the standard is still pretty bad.

now if you sit there with the sole intention of just watching everyone else, folding hand after hand after hand at $1/2 and less i think you'd be surprised by the end of the session how many times you got payed with the nut hand, how many times you KNEW you had the best hand you'd look back at this aq situation and wouldn't even dream of using a buy in(or about 75% or whatever is was).

I dont know how much you put into pokertracker ect but ive never used it for low limit poker($1/2 or less) because ABC poker has always surficed and although there is a steady improvement at these levels as people utilise the internet format to improve their game we are VERY far of from ABC not surficing!!

give it a try, turn off poker tracker, fire up 4 tables, If theres a situation where theres ANY doubt, i mean ANY doubt fold it!  play standard ABC, dont run ONE bluff(it doesn't really matter how rocked up you are, the traffic on these tables are vast and so many players are recreational and not there long enough to notice) bet your big hands(on every sreet, nothing too cute) underplay draws and i think you might be surprised by how easy it is to get paid and how unnecessary it is to be getting all your money in with AQ in such a marginal situation
gl thumbs up

very good advice

u see the same players regularly at these levels playing with 3 or 4 times the max buy in

easy money

but do not ever get cute

aggressive but be prepared to fold to big bets

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 11:37:07 PM »

Taken the advise on board but just ran bad today.  Well, I say bad, I ran bad on one table, the other two I was playing were fine.  It was just one table where I was cold decked all night.  The other two table saw me not too bad and I only made a small loss for the night.  It's stupid at these level, you can't afford to play anything but uber tight.   I had aces cracked by K6o, yes they called the preflop raise, then the big bet on the flop with TP no kicker and hit he 6 on the river, the limper with AA beats my flopped two pair on the river with another ace, just stuff like that happens all the time.  I'm not overly complaining, because idiots calling with the same rubbish paid me off on the other tables, just not quite to the same extent as my losses.

Managed to play just over 1000 hands tonight and ust lost one buy in.  1000 for that, not 100% sure it's all worth it Cheesy  How the hell do these 'prodigies' deposit $20 in to an account and never have to reload and now play at crazy limits?

Thanks for the advise, I'll get there.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: