blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:16:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Tourney Decision....Call or Fold?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tourney Decision....Call or Fold?  (Read 3257 times)
Junior Senior

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2007, 09:48:05 AM »

GUKPT Sat on-line. 
3 seats awarded and there are 8 players left. 
You are 7th in chips due to a recent doubled up from dead last. 
Blinds 400-800, you now have 10.5k in chips with average being about 20k, next blind increase is 6 mins away and you are on a 15 minute clock. Average chips for a seat (i.e. 3 left is 50k)

You are dealt  in 3rd position.  UTG (big stack) limps, you call (perhaps should have made a raise here but hey you've limped!) the cut off limps, button folds and the blins both stay in.  Flop comes:

immediately the small blind moves in for his entire stack (11k) into the 4k pot.

BB and UTG folds and action is on you.  You have just the cut off limper left to act after you.  What's your decision - call or fold? and what do you put the pusher on?
stewart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 09:59:07 AM »

you have to call in this spot,  i would put the bb on 2 pair of a baby flush, but to put it simply you need them chips your not going to limp into the final 3 and with thease chips  and even if u call and hit ur Q or Hearts or RR Strait your still not grt a seat but at least with 24kish you can bully your way to 50k pretty easy but with 10k you carnt raise and pass,

just my view  stew

bluesq : archclub vc : ericuk DTD : pokerstu pokerstars : pokerstu1
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 02:08:37 PM »

I think I might put him on the bare  , the old "what hand can I beat"? trick

I think he'd check raise all in a big made hand like 2 pair etc, versus a baby flush you have outs

As it is he pushes here, happy to take it down but outs if he gets a call

In your spot I call

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 02:26:13 PM »

good responses guys, I'll wait for a few more and reveal.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 02:54:04 PM »

The only reason to flat call pre-flop is to create a situation where you can accumulate some chips (obviously with some risk).  With that in mind, this flop is about the best you could hope for.  There are a stack of hands you are beating here, some of them drawing very thin.  I can't see how you can possibly pass here.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 04:07:59 PM »

The flop is wonderful, but this isnt as easy a decision as people make out. BTW if i put him on 2 pair or a baby flush, i WONT be calling here. I agree with tighty, could well be naked nut flush draw. Not easy. Its 11k into a 4 pot kids.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 04:54:22 PM »

The flop is wonderful, but this isnt as easy a decision as people make out. BTW if i put him on 2 pair or a baby flush, i WONT be calling here. I agree with tighty, could well be naked nut flush draw. Not easy. Its 11k into a 4 pot kids.

Dont know how on earth you are going to put him on these two hands, but you do realise that you are favorite against A8?
temp0r

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 05:48:26 PM »

i've been thinking for 5 minutes and really don't know.. SHOCKER.
Flea

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 07:01:21 PM »

I'd put the short-stack on Ace something (maybe with the something being a heart), probably less than your AQ.

Personally I'm worried about the cut-off limper as he could have anything but I think you're ahead against all-in guy so I'd go all-in myself and hope to get cut-off to fold but if he calls I think you've still got outs yourself if behind to  made flush as it's unlikely to be King high (plus you need to gamble and this is a pretty good spot to gamble from).

"Am I out yet??"

Poker aliases: PStars - Flea71 Virgin - Flea71 Blonde - Flea Sky - Flea Betfair - flea71 WHill - And170570
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 11:19:30 PM »

Quote from: [url=http://www.blondepoker.com/blondepedia/blondepedia_view_player.php?player_id=1198
Alex[/url] Martin link=topic=28513.msg581772#msg581772 date=1193497679]

Dont know how on earth you are going to put him on these two hands, but you do realise that you are favorite against A8?

What hands are you putting a non-mug on here then? Enlighten me please.
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 12:11:19 AM »

Quote from: [url=http://www.blondepoker.com/blondepedia/blondepedia_view_player.php?player_id=1198

Got to agree with Alex here, what are his starting hands in this situation?

Can i please ask where most of you purchase your crack from?

Dapper Street Menswear
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 01:23:39 AM »

Alex[/url] Martin link=topic=28513.msg582106#msg582106 date=1193523570]

Got to agree with Alex here, what are his starting hands in this situation?

He's in the small blind in an unraised pot so he can have pretty much anything - as far as his ai is concerned any ace with a heart - any pair with a high heart TxKh, TxJh strong possibilities, 2pr, 88, baby flush, TT/AKh unlikely as surely he wld have made a move pre, nut flush as he wld chk, but you never know.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 01:41:38 AM by doubleup » Logged
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 06:34:28 AM »

For me the main consideration is your stack size. Are you likely to get a better chance?

I push.

The older I get, the better I was.
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 07:05:57 AM »

This is a very tricky decision , being as it is a satelite.

You also have the cut off to act behind you. I would ask the following questions :

1) How many chips does the cutoff have?
2) Has the SB done this before? ie overbet pots? How have they played in general?
3) Why did you limp with AQ in this position with these chips?
4) What would you have done if the SB had made a squeeze play? Would you call?

I am almost certain you are behind here, and drawing to the flush (maybe an ace or Q as well). Certainly 60 40 at best (with them having just bare  ). Your best case scenario (which I doubt is very likely) is Ax.

I probably pass here tbh, you still have 10xBB and the next level is only 500 1000 - ie not a huge increase. Remember, you are playing for 3rd spot, NOT to win it.

I would also add that if this was a normal payout structure I would call as I am playing to win.

I would also add that by flat calling in the position you were in and with your chip stack, you have created this dilema.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 07:14:07 AM by M3boy » Logged
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 07:10:54 AM »

you have to call in this spot,  i would put the bb on 2 pair of a baby flush, but to put it simply you need them chips your not going to limp into the final 3 and with thease chips  and even if u call and hit ur Q or Hearts or RR Strait your still not grt a seat but at least with 24kish you can bully your way to 50k pretty easy but with 10k you carnt raise and pass,

just my view  stew

With 10k you still have some fold equity in re raising , and picking up 3200 (assuming the raiser makes it 2400 to go)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: