blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:08:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live Tournament Updates
| | |-+  Pokerstars.com Dublin EPT: Day 1A - Interactive
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pokerstars.com Dublin EPT: Day 1A - Interactive  (Read 38323 times)
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« on: October 30, 2007, 12:08:29 AM »

Howdy ho, peeps, and welcome to the live update thread of this year's Dublin EPT.

At this point in time, I don't know too much about who is playing, what the venue is like, how many players there are going to be, and so on, but what I do know is that play for the first batch of poker dreamers begins tomorrow at 2pm.

One of the players who is definitely making an appearance this week, although on Day 1B, is the Jaffa King, Jeff Kimber. With my eyes firmly fixed upon the departure screen waiting patiently for it to magically reveal my gate number, I spotted a lonesome Jaffacake (that's Jeff, by the way, not an actual giant Jaffacake) trundling through the airport waiting lounge. "Jeff!" I shouted to no avail. "Jeff!" Again no response as he walked further away. "Jeff!" By this time I was becoming slightly embarrassed as everyone shuffled away from someone they believed to be a mental patient.

As I crammed my laptop into my bag and raced after old deaf aid like an over zealous Take That fan, I managed to catch up with Jeff and, instead of showing myself, creeped up behind him demanding, "Will you make your ****ing move on Scrabble!"

To anyone but us, this exclamation won't make much sense, but the story of late is that Jeff, who I have been unable to beat thus far, is refusing to make his move on our up-to-now amicable game of Scrabulous on Facebook. According to Jeff, my latest word, 'unriper', which, although slightly shaky, has been accepted by the dictionary, is, in his eyes, totally unacceptable and thus reason to boycott the game.

Now, this is the third time I've played Jeff at Scrabble, and he's beaten me on both prior encounters, so imagine my delight when I suddenly unearth a seven word score and manage to place it on a tripple word square. Woohoo! 80 points for the Beagle! However, then imagine my disdain when my opponent suddenly questions the very word that the dictionary has accepted and refuses to play, thus robbing me of my defeat.

Anyway, back to the airport, and, as he had done on many an occassion, Jeff simply brushed aside my request and replied, "I'm not playing until you can tell me what 'unriper' means."

"It's obvious," I claimed. "If you have two bananas, and one is riper than the other, then the other one is unriper."

"But it would just be 'less ripe'," he swiftly replied. "You're going to have to do better than that."

"Let me put it another way," I continued, with a hint of desperation in my voice. "Just say you have two bananas, and scientists add chemicals to each one that reverses the riping process. They would be unriping the bananas, and the one that is most unripe, therefore becomes unriper than the other."

Not surprisingly, my perhaps outlandish scenario fell on stony ground.

After a slight pause, a stunned silence, and the gentle breeze of a clump of tumbleweed brushing past my leg, Jeff replied, "No chance, it's not a word. No one uses the word 'unriper'."

"Tell you what," I suggested. "If in tomorrow's live update I can successfully utilise all the Scrabble words from our latest encounter, will you admit defeat and make your move?"

Hesitantly, Jeff agreed, thus bringing us to the current situation by which I need to incorporate the following words into the Dublin EPT reports.

Gulp! Perhaps I should have re-evaluated the board before striking this deal...

Me: UKE, MOATED, JIB, HAG, POD, TORC, CEDI, AI, TURN, SURF, RAI, UNRIPER, ANY, DEX, VARY, PIED, VOX, JUKES, EGO

Jeff: WELT, COG, TAGS, LADES, BIT, REE, QI, NIT, ZONED, ELFIN, WELDS, , OX, KNIT, LOT, BEE, OBIT, TA

Hmm, I don't think the word TURN will be too tricky to implement into a poker update, but there are few in there that may require a little out-of-the-box-thinking in order to succeed in this challenge. However, after I've er... studied the dictionary to find out what the hell these words mean (!), I'm sure I'll have a good crack at proving Mr Cake wrong and showing him that all the words I have used in our battle of Scrabble wits are perfectly normal in the realms of the English language.

I remain quietly confident, but I think I'll need more luck than the players I will be updating. See you tomorrow, and don't forget to shout out for any players you wish us to keep an eye on. We always do our best to answer any such requests.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 11:26:05 PM by snoopy1239 » Logged
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 03:21:02 AM »

nice airport report snoops. FWIW i wouldnt allow unriper either :-P
gasman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 08:02:46 AM »

LOLLL will be fun seeing you try to fit all those in snoop, good luck!

Also good luck to Praz Bansi and Karl Mahrenholz, take it down...
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 09:46:03 AM »

Grin

Should be good!

Unriper indeed!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 10:21:35 AM »

unriper:

google seems to think its something to do with swinging.......

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 10:35:01 AM »

LMAOOOOO!!!  Google is your friend Snoops

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/unriper

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 11:27:44 AM »

Hi Snoopy

Could you provide updates on a few Scandie friends of mine who are playing.

Lades Moated
Hag Elfin
Torc Welt
Ego Jukes.

Thanks
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 11:30:21 AM »

LMAOOOOO!!!  Google is your friend Snoops

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/unriper

Banned. Again.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 12:16:35 PM »

Morning chaps and chapettes. I'm sure you'll be jealous to hear that I woke up next to Chili this morning, although I must emphaise that the single bed I requested fell on death ears. I suggested pushing the two together to become closer as a team, but she was having none of it. Meanwhile, I seem to have developed a psychedelic pattern on my body from lying on the folds in the sheet. Also, one of my hands is still numb from sleeping on it, so I am being forced to type with my tongue.

We're yet to venture out into the open air of the Irish coast, but with play commencing at 2pm, we've still got plenty of time to whisk ourselves over there and get settled. There don't seem to be any players staying in the confines of our hotel, the intriguingly named Tara Towers, but that doesn't mean they're not locked in their rooms playing online poker. I did spot Torc Welt in the lobby, and rumour has it that talented German newcomer Vox Unriper is also present.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 12:22:31 PM »

Also, one of my hands is still numb from sleeping on it

I hope you were quiet so you didn't wake Chili.
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 12:53:13 PM »

Also, one of my hands is still numb from sleeping on it

I hope you were quiet so you didn't wake Chili.

So uncouth AndrewT that I am going to dish out a red card 

... and yes, quiet as a mouse.
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 12:55:24 PM »

Whilst we await the start of today's event, which, admittedly, is still a good 80 minutes away, why not have a gander at NoflopsHomer's latest tournament report from Baden. A smashing read as always.

Baden Tournament Report - Click Here
Chili

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 01:46:07 PM »

Good afternoon lads and Cadettes and top of the afternoon to you all from Dublin.  Glad to see Snoops have given you guys more than enough information in todays posts 

This being my first EPT outside of London, I am excited to hear other languages apart from cockney, oh wait....its Irish I'm listening too.  Slow down guys then I can just make the words out  Wink

I went for the obligatory wonder around pre match and the atmosphere is a little subdued I feel. Not sure if it is the numbers for today, with 80 players seeming to be the number branded about, or just the sheer size of the hall compared to the people in it!  There should be a lot more people deciding to play tomorrow though to shorten their trip here in Dublin.  I'm liking the hall itself, but then again I love rooms with high ceilings.  Please witness:

snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 02:08:08 PM »

I went for the obligatory wonder around pre match and the atmosphere is a little subdued I feel. Not sure if it is the numbers for today, with 80 players seeming to be the number branded about, or just the sheer size of the hall compared to the people in it!  There should be a lot more people deciding to play tomorrow though to shorten their trip here in Dublin.  I'm liking the hall itself, but then again I love rooms with high ceilings.  Please witness:

This point brings up the thread I started the other day about EPT numbers. Surely if they only get about 200 runners here for a venue that can clearly hold more, then the reason for upping the buy-in - to answer demand - surely doesn't make sense. I'm not criticising John Duthie and the EPT as they have worked miracles in making this Tour as successful as it is today, but I do feel a time might come when they will have to consider a drop in buy-in to encourage more players to partake in what is a cracking tournament. It would be a shame if the Tour became an elitist affair.
Chili

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 02:23:45 PM »

Players are starting to file in more frequently now, I have spotted:

Erik Seidel
Pascal Perrault
Noah Boeken
Jan Sjavik
Barny Boatman
John Conroy
Andy Black
Dave Colclough

Also confirmation now that 91 players have just started...................................NOW!   Also, the revelation that players will be starting with a 15k stack instead of the more usual 10k and 7 levels will be played today.  We believe that making best of the time compared to the players registered they have an added bonus of more chips to dance around with.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 02:26:07 PM by Chili » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: