blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:31:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  This is reporting on immigration these days
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This is reporting on immigration these days  (Read 3968 times)
Moskvich

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 04:38:54 PM »

Mmm, well maybe, but i don't really see it. Of course, totally objective journalism is pretty much impossible, since at some point you have to choose what words to use, and most words carry connotations of some sort. I mean, they could have said, "Foreigners fill million job vacancies", which would sound more positive, or "Million jobs go to foreigners", which might be a bit better than using the word "take", because of the "come over here and take our jobs" connotation. But the headline is true (at least in as much as it's a quote) and factual. I think maybe your views on the coverage of the immigration issue (which as I say I share) are colouring how you're reading this piece, when in fact the PA is actively trying not to put a slant on its reporting.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 04:57:55 PM »

Mmm, well maybe, but i don't really see it. Of course, totally objective journalism is pretty much impossible, since at some point you have to choose what words to use, and most words carry connotations of some sort. I mean, they could have said, "Foreigners fill million job vacancies", which would sound more positive, or "Million jobs go to foreigners", which might be a bit better than using the word "take", because of the "come over here and take our jobs" connotation. But the headline is true (at least in as much as it's a quote) and factual. I think maybe your views on the coverage of the immigration issue (which as I say I share) are colouring how you're reading this piece, when in fact the PA is actively trying not to put a slant on its reporting.

PA should indeed just report the news and they ussualy do. This report however is not really just reporting. First of al the headline indeed goes with the "They take our jobs" feel of it. They follow that up by quoting a figure of 81% which is simply non-existent in any of the figures they quote. And to then go on and say "the population of the UK could double within the next 75 years" has no place in this entire article. What this article does is say "There are LOADS of foreigners coming over here, they breed like rabbits and take 80% of our jobs". The way a reporter uses his words is the difference between a good reporter and a poor one.

If the figures were indeed accurate (81% of 2.1mill jobs taken) and if the "Brittain could have 110mill people living here in 70 years time" statement was taken out it would have been a more objective report. That's not even mentioning the "The commision focusses on one item every year..This year it's Fertility rates..and especially immigration"...wait a minute..them's 2 topics Boss..really honestly...it is...I looked it up. 1= Fertility 2= immigration...not that difficult really.

sure compared to the daily mail the reporting is fine..however..the Daily Mail will now say "Millions of foreigners come to steal our jobs and breed like rabbits..the PA said so"...tricky thing ifnormation..(Left-wing press will of course be just as bad on other topics which is why I can't even read the Independent anymor without cringing Sad

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 05:19:17 PM »

Meanwhile:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/watford/7111120.stm

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 08:22:34 PM »

yeah but he has to go..that's a place an English player could have had, you know.

It's a disgrace..Sierra Leone is a bloody mess and is dangerous for everybody...the guy earns an honest living and pays his taxes..let him stay. And that should go for every immigrant who can find a job here...after all ..a job taken by an immigrant who was offered the same wage as a British person..is a job a British person wasn't good enough for or didn't want to do in the first place Smiley

I have always been a bit surprised by people who say "Yeah but they are economic refugees"..always make me go "SO?" what is their point?..someone wants a better life for themselves and their family? they're not breaking any laws and pay their taxes? Give them a break.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 08:55:49 PM »

There is a difference between the watford player and economic refugees. They have treated him disgracefully imo, whilst allowing hundreds of thousands of economic refugees or freeloaders or spongers or whatever u want to call them to live here and drain the system.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 08:57:19 PM »

There is a difference between the watford player and economic refugees. They have treated him disgracefully imo, whilst allowing hundreds of thousands of economic refugees or freeloaders or spongers or whatever u want to call them to live here and drain the system.

But surely if someone comes over here and works and pays taxes they would contribute to the system?

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 09:01:52 PM »

Of course, theyre not the ones im referring to. im talking about the ones that come over work cash in hand claim benefit, political asylum get free housing, payments towards cars & live the life of reilly at our expense. And they are allowed to get away with it while some poor bastard comes and plays for watford, earns a few quid, gives a few quid back but has to be sent back to sierra leone.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 09:07:16 PM »

Of course, theyre not the ones im referring to. im talking about the ones that come over work cash in hand claim benefit, political asylum get free housing, payments towards cars & live the life of reilly at our expense. And they are allowed to get away with it while some poor bastard comes and plays for watford, earns a few quid, gives a few quid back but has to be sent back to sierra leone.

I don't know anyone in the first category really..all of the refugees I've met from the hellholes in the world actually want to work and pay taxes. I don't know anyone who lives the life of Reilly after coming here..in fact quite the oposite.

But I think it's fair to say we both agree the system is completely and utterly rotten and needs to change. Give anyone who wants to come over here and better their life a break, let them do it AND improve this country. and let people from hell holes like Zimbabwe, Sierra Leone and Iraq stay over here and contribute aswell...There really are plenty of jobs for everyone who wants to work and is not shy about only earning minimum wage...this country can do with a few more people with the backbone to graft out a living..rather than people who only want an easy life and a cushy job.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 09:12:05 PM »

I don't know anyone in the first category really..all of the refugees I've met from the hellholes in the world actually want to work and pay taxes. I don't know anyone who lives the life of Reilly after coming here..in fact quite the oposite.

But I think it's fair to say we both agree the system is completely and utterly rotten and needs to change. Give anyone who wants to come over here and better their life a break, let them do it AND improve this country. and let people from hell holes like Zimbabwe, Sierra Leone and Iraq stay over here and contribute aswell...There really are plenty of jobs for everyone who wants to work and is not shy about only earning minimum wage...this country can do with a few more people with the backbone to graft out a living..rather than people who only want an easy life and a cushy job.

Worked for a local authority in London in the temporary accommodation team for years, met hundreds of them.

Even know of one guy who went to buy a car, agreed to buy it and said he would be back tomorrow once he picks the cheque from the council to pay for it ffs!!!!! Returned next with a cheque for 7k from the said council.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 09:13:58 PM »

Even know of one guy who went to buy a car, agreed to buy it and said he would be back tomorrow once he picks the cheque from the council to pay for it ffs!!!!! Returned next with a cheque for 7k from the said council.

Damm..I'm moving to London!

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 09:20:21 PM »

lol,

i dont mean to sound controversial or racist ( my dad is foreign and came to england then scotland to earn money & a better life) Its just soooooooooooooo frustrating to sit there and watch it going on around you. In the Local Authority i work at . The Housing Benefit & Council Tax benefit section is on the ground floor of the building and is rammed 7 hours a day. Visually it is a wonderful site. Its like a snap-shot of the people of the world captured in the blink of an eye and not a bit of burberry to be seen anywhere.

Now another interesting subject is the polish people............................... Are they good for the country?Huh??? Artur & Magic Excluded of course.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 09:26:03 PM »

Now another interesting subject is the polish people............................... Are they good for the country?Huh??? Artur & Magic Excluded of course.

Hell yeah they are good for the country..my drive way got done for a 5'er!..and they're better than the Irish at it too!

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2007, 09:28:48 PM »

Hell yeah they are good for the country..my drive way got done for a 5'er!..and they're better than the Irish at it too!

A 5er? U were done.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: