blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:48:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272607 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  A strategy for a spinning head please
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A strategy for a spinning head please  (Read 2776 times)
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 10:21:32 AM »

Wow...I'm stunned at the bad advice given on this thread..really truly amazed. It's no wonder you can't beat the crazy games if you never raise pre-flop when you have a big hand. statistically you are still the favourite to win the hand..so why would you not raise it?

Hard to get an edge in a game full of beginners?..WOW! That's just unreal.

Now everybody..stop moaning about how the fishes sucked out on you when you had a big hand and go back to playing ABC poker. If you stick to playing nice hands and your suited connectors you will eventually beat these guys. ..Jesus...this thread is doing my head in.. If you can't beat the fishies it's probably because you're crap. (Like me Smiley )

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Pyso

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 11:01:59 AM »

Thanks all, some amusing replies.

In response to Boldie, I'm with you really. Of course I know I'll win in the long run. My thread was more of a muse at the perverse absurdity of how beginners play and how they ALWAYS suck out on you when you're trying to teach them how to play..but it can't last for ever (if I can be bothered to find out).

It was fun for a while, but now I'm bored with it and would rather spend my time playing some real poker.

It's just funny that so many others have had the same experience as me.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 11:07:03 AM »

Thanks all, some amusing replies.

In response to Boldie, I'm with you really. Of course I know I'll win in the long run. My thread was more of a muse at the perverse absurdity of how beginners play and how they ALWAYS suck out on you when you're trying to teach them how to play..but it can't last for ever (if I can be bothered to find out).

It was fun for a while, but now I'm bored with it and would rather spend my time playing some real poker.

It's just funny that so many others have had the same experience as me.

lol..I knew you were with me there as you said it in your OP...just some of the advice did my head in...(and having not yet read the newspapers to get upset about this morning) i just had to vent.

We've all been in this situation..."The newbies can't play and I can't beat them" and the arguement is the same one Negreanu used for wanting the main event at the WSOP increased to a 100k buyin as "the quality of play isn't good enough"..almost everybody disagrees with him saying that.

Really..you have to have a different mindset when playing those games mate...it's a bit of fun and you're teaching some peope a bit of poker. Treat it as such and you'll have a good time..play seriously in the othergames you play Smiley

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Grier78
www.AllInOnADraw.com

www.AllInOnADraw.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 07:02:39 PM »

This just goes to show how its very hard to get an edge in a game full of beginner/bad players.

You gotta be kidding?!?!

No not at all, most of the games with these kind of players are very small stakes/freerolls and they play with no fear so getting them to fold is extremely difficult. Really the only way to win pots is by showing down the best hand, which is easy to in a cash game as you have all the time in the world. In a fast structured live tournament (with players playing very slowly) then you have to hit some hands early on and hope you don't get sucked out on. Yes you will have an edge but you are more subject to the luck of the cards than anything else.

By the way the skill level in your average pub game is far below that in your average $10 game and the fact that they are freerolls makes it even worse.

The one thing that makes Poker work as a game is that you need to play against players who want to win and conversely don't want to loose. Otherwise its just a crapshoot and no fun.

Swordpoker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 07:32:49 PM »

This just goes to show how its very hard to get an edge in a game full of beginner/bad players.

You gotta be kidding?!?!

No not at all, most of the games with these kind of players are very small stakes/freerolls and they play with no fear so getting them to fold is extremely difficult. Really the only way to win pots is by showing down the best hand, which is easy to in a cash game as you have all the time in the world. In a fast structured live tournament (with players playing very slowly) then you have to hit some hands early on and hope you don't get sucked out on. Yes you will have an edge but you are more subject to the luck of the cards than anything else.

By the way the skill level in your average pub game is far below that in your average $10 game and the fact that they are freerolls makes it even worse.

The one thing that makes Poker work as a game is that you need to play against players who want to win and conversely don't want to loose. Otherwise its just a crapshoot and no fun.

Gimme a bunch of calling stations every day of the week. There is no better edge imo.

mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 07:34:11 PM »

You gotta be kidding?!?!

Gimme a bunch of calling stations every day of the week. There is no better edge imo.

Totally agree if they suck out so be it you will win most of the times.
Grier78
www.AllInOnADraw.com

www.AllInOnADraw.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 08:53:46 PM »

You gotta be kidding?!?!

In a tournament I would rather have a table full of tight weak since I can win tons of pots without having the best hand, in a cash game I love calling stations especially since I play short-handed.

Swordpoker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 04:44:39 PM »

In a tournament I would rather have a table full of tight weak since I can win tons of pots without having the best hand, in a cash game I love calling stations especially since I play short-handed.

Fair enough, in tournaments you like winning small pots and I like winning big pots. Just a different style, I suppose.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: