blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:26:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Cash Game TV
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cash Game TV  (Read 1235 times)
Ismene

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2008, 01:10:34 PM »

Hey chaps - wondering If i could pick some of your brains...

Cash is not a forte of mine - hence the fact that you have never seen me play it - however - all that is about to change... Or at least that is my NY resolution - we'll see....

Bar the obvious practice / books etc  I was wondering which cash shows you would reccomend watching and why as imitation is a pretty good learning step for me prior to adding a little something extra into the mix...
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 01:21:06 PM »

I'd say that the cash games you see on telly bear little resemblance to the cash games I play (mostly online, but also live).

They're heavily edited, and a lot of the 'clever' plays are wasted at the low levels I play.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 01:23:45 PM »

The show on challenge at the moment 'Cash Poker' is probably better than high stakes poker for a new player - but both of them are at the highest level of the game and in no way ideal.

Much better off getting your hands on some cardrunners or pokerxfactor videos, very good indeed for all levels.
Ismene

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 02:19:17 PM »

OK - cheers - will defo try that pkrfactor idea.

But what should i look out for - and by that I mean what would you class as the most important element in Cash TV?

I just need to get my head around it and am far more a visual learner than from books - because i will remember the words - where they are on a page - but not necessarily ascertain the psychological implications it has for the opponent.

OK - lets put it another way - if you were making a cash TV show - what would you make sure that you included?
NumptyITB
Numpty Dumpty

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 02:26:18 PM »

Card's.

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 02:27:57 PM »

chips

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 02:30:13 PM »

OK - lets put it another way - if you were making a cash TV show - what would you make sure that you included?

The truth outs at last. Smiley

The things which makes cash watchable are a) deep stacks - you get to see play through the streets instead of the interminable all-in pre-flop stuff you get in most televised tournament poker and b) people aren't generally forced into standard plays through situational reasons - there are fewer 'no brainer' situations - so they properly have to think about stuff.
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 02:37:21 PM »

If you're asking what would make a good cash game tv show (off the top of my head):

Mic the players up and let them chat, without the commentators interrupting too much, the majority of the time the things they are saying are far more interesting.

Deep stacks - allow play on all streets and people to play varying styles, rather than the all in nature of a lot of TV tournaments.

More as I think of them.

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 03:38:08 PM »

A good cash TV show would have:

At least one very very bad player
Gambling side games
Deep stacks
I think using actual cash, rather than chips, would emphasise a thing or two
A few characters

People want to see some crazy stuff in a cash game. Thus it is better filmed in a 'home game' type environment.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 03:45:52 PM »

Is it being planned to be an educational programme - or more for entertainment?  The two are very different.

If it's to be educational, I'd make sure you show every hand in a session.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 04:26:33 PM »

A good cash TV show would have:

At least one very very bad player
Gambling side games
Deep stacks
I think using actual cash, rather than chips, would emphasise a thing or two
A few characters

People want to see some crazy stuff in a cash game. Thus it is better filmed in a 'home game' type environment.

As long as the cash is kept in bricks and not broken up. The Poker Den crap that Barry Hearn does seems to be 85% 'watching people count money'.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: