blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 12:53:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272911 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 634 635 [636] 637 638 639 640 ... 2348 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3648658 times)
TightPaulFolds

Not a moderator in any fashion whatsoever

View Profile
« Reply #9525 on: August 15, 2010, 10:55:44 AM »

Kaiser's Ears ftw

Edit..I can't find them on google, but that's what my polish gran called them. Donut texture, but flat and long...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 12:00:05 PM by TightPaulFolds » Logged
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #9526 on: August 15, 2010, 01:45:18 PM »

Been away for a few days and just caught up.

Brilliant a usual Tom.

World at war is being re run at the moment. I watched it as a teenager, it was the first time I came across the awful attrocities. I have read many books on the subject since and a visit to  Auschwitz is on my bucket list.

I heard that there was no bird song, eerie to have it confirmed.

God bless all of those from the camps, alive and dead.

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #9527 on: August 15, 2010, 01:51:52 PM »

Auschwitz has always been somewhere it's been in the back of my mind that I should vist one day.  Having read your post Tom I'm now determined to do it as soon as means allow.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #9528 on: August 15, 2010, 02:01:46 PM »

I Thought I would come back and write about it at length, but somehow I can't right now, perhaps I never will, save for the odd paragraph. I think perhaps there are some things that mere words can't adequately convey.

this is so true. certainly I've never read anything about the place that does justice to the way you feel actually seeing it

scary thing is that it was by no means the worst of the camps, it just happens to be the best preserved. there were places that were killing so many more people

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #9529 on: August 15, 2010, 02:02:28 PM »

oh, and did you go to the salt mines?

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9530 on: August 15, 2010, 05:35:36 PM »

oh, and did you go to the salt mines?

No, I got distracted. Believe it or not, there is a pierogi festival in Krakow toady. There is a huge stage in the square with a big PA system, andd a light show etc.

There are people doing pierogi monologues, pierogi singers, pierogi posters, and dozens of stalls selling pierogi of every imaginable flavour.

It's like a sort of culinary Woodstock, complete with tents. (although in this case, the groupies are mostly middle aged at blokes)  

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9531 on: August 15, 2010, 07:25:46 PM »

Cliff notes for the last 6 months...

Poker:  Pre Jan 2010. - Long term winning player. Modest but regular income peaking at circa £18ph playing £1/2 cash at DTD during the second half of 2009.

Poker: Post Jan 2010 - Big (for me) Losing player. Couldn't do anything right. ran a 20k plus bankroll down to around 7k in the space of a few weeks. Lost confidence, and if truth be told, became a little gun shy. Took a short break while trying to figure out what to do.

Option 1

Continue to play live cash, but at smaller stakes. Pro's- Softer game and less pressure on diminishing bankroll. Cons- Harder to beat the (relatively) higher rake. 

Option 2

Give online cash a real go. Pro's - Lower expenses, more choice, option to multi-table, smaller rake, rakeback. Cons - Tougher games online v live, need to use tracking software etc, less fun.

Option 3

Online tourrneys - Pro's -  Love em. I'm a tourney player at heart and I made a living from online comps for several years... Cons - Variance. Bankroll too small.

Option 4

Quit and go back to work. Pro's - Instantly stop hemorrhaging money, become part of the real world again, earn a regular wage, keep normal hours. Cons - Don't want to quit, go back to work, become part of real world, earn regular wage, keep normal hours.....

Also, (And this is just between us, I wouldn't admit it in public) I secretly like the notion of being a "professional poker player" I mean, me, a professional poker player. (Don't laugh, It makes me blush just to type it)

See I know that I'm supposed to say "It's not as much fun as you think" and "It's just a job really, not very glamorous, just a daily grind, I don't make much money" and I would say that, if anyone asked me. But deep down, in my secret, private self, I really love it. I wouldn't admit this to a soul, but I suppose I'm a little bit proud of the fact that I managed to make a go of it for several years.

So, what to do, what to do, quit or go on?

I was wrestling with this problem when fate took a hand....

CRIPPIN

View Profile
« Reply #9532 on: August 15, 2010, 08:27:24 PM »

Cliff notes for the last 6 months...

Poker:  Pre Jan 2010. - Long term winning player. Modest but regular income peaking at circa £18ph playing £1/2 cash at DTD during the second half of 2009.

Poker: Post Jan 2010 - Big (for me) Losing player. Couldn't do anything right. ran a 20k plus bankroll down to around 7k in the space of a few weeks. Lost confidence, and if truth be told, became a little gun shy. Took a short break while trying to figure out what to do.

Option 1

Continue to play live cash, but at smaller stakes. Pro's- Softer game and less pressure on diminishing bankroll. Cons- Harder to beat the (relatively) higher rake. 

Option 2

Give online cash a real go. Pro's - Lower expenses, more choice, option to multi-table, smaller rake, rakeback. Cons - Tougher games online v live, need to use tracking software etc, less fun.

Option 3

Online tourrneys - Pro's -  Love em. I'm a tourney player at heart and I made a living from online comps for several years... Cons - Variance. Bankroll too small.

Option 4

Quit and go back to work. Pro's - Instantly stop hemorrhaging money, become part of the real world again, earn a regular wage, keep normal hours. Cons - Don't want to quit, go back to work, become part of real world, earn regular wage, keep normal hours.....

Also, (And this is just between us, I wouldn't admit it in public) I secretly like the notion of being a "professional poker player" I mean, me, a professional poker player. (Don't laugh, It makes me blush just to type it)

See I know that I'm supposed to say "It's not as much fun as you think" and "It's just a job really, not very glamorous, just a daily grind, I don't make much money" and I would say that, if anyone asked me. But deep down, in my secret, private self, I really love it. I wouldn't admit this to a soul, but I suppose I'm a little bit proud of the fact that I managed to make a go of it for several years.

So, what to do, what to do, quit or go on?

I was wrestling with this problem when fate took a hand....

Well, having heard some of the old Ladbrokes MTT players singing your praises I could see a return to the bigger games as a way forward, although with having to dodge 6 or 7 bullets at each table these days instead of 1 or 2, maybe not!

So I'm going for lottery win  Grin

veritas lux mea
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #9533 on: August 15, 2010, 08:38:32 PM »

give the DTD £0.50/1 games a shot.

The £1/2 games are pretty hard on normal weeknights with a lot of good regs in them. The play is much different in the games one level lower. You'll defo beat them & comfortably too imo.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Mitch

View Profile
« Reply #9534 on: August 16, 2010, 04:42:41 AM »

give the DTD £0.50/1 games a shot.

The £1/2 games are pretty hard on normal weeknights with a lot of good regs in them. The play is much different in the games one level lower. You'll defo beat them & comfortably too imo.

Alright for you to say that Cos!

I quite like listening to music or having the sound on the TV whilst im playing! Tom must play in absolute silence (so he can instantly order food when he hears his tummy rumbling)

On a serious note.... Give it a whirl, whats the worst that can happen??? (Prob about £200!) Also getting capped 1/2 games running now and again (usually on thursday nights) which are so soft its untrue.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9535 on: August 16, 2010, 07:08:46 AM »

Well actually, I more or less had decided to give the £0,50/1 games a shot when out of the  blue, I was offered a job as, of all things, a Development Worker for Gypsy issues which, basically, meant trying to ensure that when & wherever policy decisions are made, or services procured, the needs of Gypsies are not ignored or forgotten.

Of course this  wasn't really an option, I mean, I was over 50 years old and I had never had a job before. I said couldn't possibly consider taking one at this late stage. I politely declined.

The  conversation went something like this...

"Thank you, but no thank you, I can't do it"

"Why not?"

"Because I've never had a boss"

"You can be your own boss"

"I couldn't work regular hours"

"You can choose your own hours"

"I don't fancy going to work every day"

"Its part time"

"I'm not qualified"

"Nether is anyone else...."

"What If I don't like it?"

"You can quit"

"What if I can't do it?"

"We'll sack you" 

I had to admit that it did seem perfect for me, but the very thought of it still scared me to death. I discussed it at length with Tony. Not because he's a shrewd old bird, and very savvy when it comes to affairs d spondooie, but because he knows who I am and what makes me tick. He's my friend, and I trust him.

Tony was very enthusiastic and advised me to go ahead and take the job.  (Actually, he was reserved and non-committal, but I can read between the lines)

Hmm, thinking about it, he knows I'll read between the lines....

Anyway, the upshot is, I'm now a development worker representing Gypsies & Travellers. I get to go all over the country and meet with the people who make the decisions. I'm enjoying it immensely.

The Poker? I'm still playing. mostly online but occasionally live, and I'm enjoying that immensely too.

Also in the last 6 months - My planning permission renewal application - The 100 mile bike ride...

thetank

View Profile
« Reply #9536 on: August 16, 2010, 07:34:32 AM »

Sounds like a good gig, and they got a good man to do it.

Good luck

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #9537 on: August 16, 2010, 08:06:38 AM »

Good luck

I find it hard to imagine there could be a better person for the job.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9538 on: August 16, 2010, 08:49:37 AM »

Good luck

I find it hard to imagine there could be a better person for the job.

Indeed.

Was also hoping you had signed a lucrative publishing deal.

Congrats Red, keep enjoying.

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #9539 on: August 16, 2010, 09:41:02 AM »

No better man for the job imo.   

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 634 635 [636] 637 638 639 640 ... 2348 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: