blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:40:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1683 1684 1685 1686 [1687] 1688 1689 1690 1691 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3599897 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25290 on: August 29, 2014, 04:14:44 PM »

Zen and the art of learn as you go motorcycle maintenance.

My C90 was making a whiney noise at low speeds, (Yes, I know it only does low speeds) it sounded like an old car reversing.

I adjusted the clutch but that didn't help so I decided to take the chain guard off and check the chain tension.

Click to see full-size image.

According to Google there should be about an inch of movement in the chain at the most floppy part. I measured mine and there was about three inches.

I tried to adjust it by moving the rear wheel backwards like the you do on a pushbike, but it was already back as far as it would go, so I decided to take the chain off and shorten it by removing a link. To get the chain off the front sprocket I had to remove the generator cowling, scary stuff if you haven't done it before, I was afraid of tearing a gasket or having spring loaded bits fly out.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 04:18:08 PM by RED-DOG » Logged

The older I get, the better I was.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25291 on: August 29, 2014, 04:21:18 PM »

You may find this useful at some point.

http://www.c90club.co.uk/

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25292 on: August 29, 2014, 04:23:46 PM »

You may find this useful at some point.

http://www.c90club.co.uk/

Cheers Boo, I found it the other day. It is useful.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25293 on: August 29, 2014, 04:34:17 PM »

After a lot of fannying about and worrying about undoing the wrong thing, I finally got the chain off.

Since the chain was stretched so much, I decided to check the sprockets. I'm not sure how much wear is tolerable so I took photographs of both and showed them to a bloke in a motorcycle shop.

He said the front one was OK but the rear one was knackered and recommended I replace both and fit a new chain.

I ordered the new bits, (surprisingly cheap at 35 quid?) and asked him if it would be alright to shorten the old chain and use it until the new parts arrive next week. he said it was so that's what I decided to do.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25294 on: August 29, 2014, 04:43:40 PM »

Shortening the chain was easy, but undoing the right hand side adjuster was a real barsteward. The nut had stripped the threads in the middle of the bolt and I couldn't back it off enough, so I had to remove the back wheel so that I could slip the axle out, which is easier said than done, especially if you try to pull it out the wrong side.

Eventually I got the adjuster off, then it was a simple job to clamp it in the vice and cut through the nut with a junior hacksaw.

In this pic you can see where the threads had been stripped on the bolt.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 05:03:51 PM by RED-DOG » Logged

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25295 on: August 29, 2014, 04:49:06 PM »

I fitted a new nut from my private collection, slipped it back on to the axle, and then pushed the axle back through the wheel. I had to get Mrs Red to help at this point because I didn't have enough hands to hold the wheel, the axle and the spacer that goes between the chassis and the hub.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25296 on: August 29, 2014, 04:54:32 PM »

Well it's all in one piece again and it no longer makes a whiney noise. (which is more than can be said for me).

When the new bits arrive, I have to do it all over again.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 04:56:29 PM by RED-DOG » Logged

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25297 on: August 29, 2014, 05:31:30 PM »

Good work Tom.

im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25298 on: August 29, 2014, 05:52:13 PM »

Good work Tom.

It's a good job I'm not doing it for a living. It took me bloody ages.

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25299 on: August 29, 2014, 05:58:46 PM »

Good work Tom.

It's a good job I'm not doing it for a living. It took me bloody ages.

But you get an enormous amount of self satisfaction from doing it yourself.

Martin Luther King Jr
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25300 on: August 29, 2014, 09:03:55 PM »

Not only will frequent chain maintenance ensure your mighty steed runs better, it will extend the life of your chain and sprockets. Every 500 miles if you ride frequently the chain tension should be checked and the chain cleaned and lubed. I use WD40 to clean mine and a chain wax to lube it. Chain wax is preferable to chain oil as it's resistant to being flung off, thereby keeping your chain lubed longer and your bike cleaner. I used to commute in all weathers on my motorcycle, sometimes starting at 0500hrs and when it was wet, I kept a small can of wax under my seat and I'd just spray the part of the chain i could see. After i'd ridden home,I'd repeat. I'd keep this up the whole week of shifts thereby ensuring that the whole chain was sprayed over the course of the week. Then on my days off, I'd clean and relube and repeat the process on the next set of shifts. The above process should see you good on your little jaunts around the UK. Also, the notches on the swing arm are for a rough guide only and I use a steel rule from the same point on both sides of the swingarm to measure the distance to the notch on the adjuster itself. A more accurate way of doing it. If you have verniers, even better. Will help the wheel run true. Sorry for rambling on, hope you enjoy your steed of steel and hopefully you'll post some pics of your travels.

Cymru am byth
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25301 on: August 29, 2014, 09:13:03 PM »

Not only will frequent chain maintenance ensure your mighty steed runs better, it will extend the life of your chain and sprockets. Every 500 miles if you ride frequently the chain tension should be checked and the chain cleaned and lubed. I use WD40 to clean mine and a chain wax to lube it. Chain wax is preferable to chain oil as it's resistant to being flung off, thereby keeping your chain lubed longer and your bike cleaner. I used to commute in all weathers on my motorcycle, sometimes starting at 0500hrs and when it was wet, I kept a small can of wax under my seat and I'd just spray the part of the chain i could see. After i'd ridden home,I'd repeat. I'd keep this up the whole week of shifts thereby ensuring that the whole chain was sprayed over the course of the week. Then on my days off, I'd clean and relube and repeat the process on the next set of shifts. The above process should see you good on your little jaunts around the UK. Also, the notches on the swing arm are for a rough guide only and I use a steel rule from the same point on both sides of the swingarm to measure the distance to the notch on the adjuster itself. A more accurate way of doing it. If you have verniers, even better. Will help the wheel run true. Sorry for rambling on, hope you enjoy your steed of steel and hopefully you'll post some pics of your travels.

Thanks.  thumbs up All advice gratefully received.

I didn't trust the notches either. I spent ages fiddling about. In the end I measured from the center of the swingarm bolts to the center of the axle.

atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #25302 on: August 29, 2014, 09:18:31 PM »

Alright then Tom ?     Nice to see a kid with a new toy  Smiley   good work with the spanners.

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #25303 on: August 29, 2014, 09:20:40 PM »

oh, cant believe you wouldn't think that rear sprocket was anything but fu%"*d !

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25304 on: August 29, 2014, 09:26:29 PM »

I fitted a new nut from my private collection, slipped it back on to the axle, and then pushed the axle back through the wheel. I had to get Mrs Red to help at this point because I didn't have enough hands to hold the wheel, the axle and the spacer that goes between the chassis and the hub.

Either put your toes under the wheel or one of the wedges you use to chock your little van on it's travels and this will make the job easier.

Cymru am byth
Pages: 1 ... 1683 1684 1685 1686 [1687] 1688 1689 1690 1691 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: