blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:59:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2154 2155 2156 2157 [2158] 2159 2160 2161 2162 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3587004 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32355 on: January 12, 2020, 08:56:58 AM »

I'm 14st 12lb.

Just for fun, I'm going to do a 'fad' diet to kick-start my weight loss. (What's the worst that can happen?)

The chemical diet, reproduced below.

No proper cups of tea will be a bit of a bugger.

Horrible fad diet done.

Current weight: 14s 2lb.

Was it worth it? Mixed feelings really. Pleased with the weight loss in a week, but my God it was awful.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32356 on: January 12, 2020, 12:17:44 PM »

The Masked Singer.

This is the new show that's sweeping the nation. The girls put it on and I watched 10 minutes before fleeing to the camper.

Jeebus H Price! I could feel my brain cells dying in their millions.

Click to see full-size image.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #32357 on: January 12, 2020, 07:34:40 PM »

The Masked Singer.

This is the new show that's sweeping the nation. The girls put it on and I watched 10 minutes before fleeing to the camper.

Jeebus H Price! I could feel my brain cells dying in their millions.

is this a horror film?  The duck and doll figure are enough to give anyone nightmares.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
roshambo

View Profile
« Reply #32358 on: January 13, 2020, 11:26:39 AM »

Currently looking at DIY Bangkok - Finding somewhere nice to use as a base and spending 7/8 days exploring, then maybe a river cruise. (Did one before on the Nile and loved it) Mekong river looks good, would mean flying into Siem Reap and then either home or back to Bangkok from Ho Chi Minh City.

Tom are you passing through Siem Reap or stopping off for a few days? I suggest you stop and do a guided tour of the Angkor Wat, it's incredible. Siem Reap incidentally translates to defeat Siam.

Yes Kev.

Rough plan is to fly into Bangkok, book an inexpensive hotel with a pool to use as a base while we spend about 5/6 days exploring, then fly to Seam Reep for the Angkor Wat tour and then on a river boat for 10 days finishing in Ho Chi Minh City with an excursion per day built in. Then a couple of days in HCMC, fly back to Bangkok and home from there.

Only about 18 passengers on the boat so should be quite nice. Apparently the cabins are a bit small but obv that wont bother us and I hear the food is fantastic.
Haven't got it all sussed yet though so not counting my chickens.

This boat trip sounds just right.   I went through the Mekong Delta by bus, and did a boat trip there.  A boat trip the whole way sounds great, and I wouldn't fancy some big boat as you wouldn't get close to stuff.   I have never been to Ankor Wat, but if I had a bucket list, it would be there.  Shame you can't go all the way from Laos, but I read the river goes North from there, so.ig just isn't possible.  Maybe it needs two trips.

The whole trip sounds good, just try and avoid the really wet season in Bangkok, as the flooding can get really bad.

Thanks Doobs. If we do go it's likely to be in March.

if your'e going to Thailand around March, i'd hold off for April and go for Songkran (their New Years), greattime to be in Thailand especially in the remoter parts where its just a reason to party
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 12:27:01 PM by RED-DOG » Logged
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32359 on: January 13, 2020, 12:28:58 PM »

Currently looking at DIY Bangkok - Finding somewhere nice to use as a base and spending 7/8 days exploring, then maybe a river cruise. (Did one before on the Nile and loved it) Mekong river looks good, would mean flying into Siem Reap and then either home or back to Bangkok from Ho Chi Minh City.

Tom are you passing through Siem Reap or stopping off for a few days? I suggest you stop and do a guided tour of the Angkor Wat, it's incredible. Siem Reap incidentally translates to defeat Siam.

Yes Kev.

Rough plan is to fly into Bangkok, book an inexpensive hotel with a pool to use as a base while we spend about 5/6 days exploring, then fly to Seam Reep for the Angkor Wat tour and then on a river boat for 10 days finishing in Ho Chi Minh City with an excursion per day built in. Then a couple of days in HCMC, fly back to Bangkok and home from there.

Only about 18 passengers on the boat so should be quite nice. Apparently the cabins are a bit small but obv that wont bother us and I hear the food is fantastic.

This boat trip sounds just right.   I went through the Mekong Delta by bus, and did a boat trip there.  A boat trip the whole way sounds great, and I wouldn't fancy some big boat as you wouldn't get close to stuff.   I have never been to Ankor Wat, but if I had a bucket list, it would be there.  Shame you can't go all the way from Laos, but I read the river goes North from there, so.ig just isn't possible.  Maybe it needs two trips.

The whole trip sounds good, just try and avoid the really wet season in Bangkok, as the flooding can get really bad.

if your'e going to Thailand around March, i'd hold off for April and go for Songkran (their New Years), greattime to be in Thailand especially in the remoter parts where its just a reason to party

I'm worried about it being too hot by April though, especially in Cambodia.

marcro

View Profile
« Reply #32360 on: January 13, 2020, 01:03:47 PM »

Yes Kev.

It will be hotter in April and if you don't want to have water chucked on you when out walking, avoid Songkran!
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32361 on: January 13, 2020, 01:35:41 PM »

^^^   Story?  ^^^

roshambo

View Profile
« Reply #32362 on: January 13, 2020, 06:30:28 PM »

Yes Kev.

It will be hotter in April and if you don't want to have water chucked on you when out walking, avoid Songkran!

yeah but the more civilized parts stick to the traditions, its only the places like Puket, Pattaya and Bngkok where you get proper drenched....but even if you do its great fun and cooling 
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #32363 on: January 14, 2020, 11:27:50 AM »

^^^   Story?  ^^^

The Songkran Festival is also a period when the Thai people cleanse and pour water mixed with Thai fragrance on Buddha images.

This however been extended to throwing water at anyone walking down the street.  If you do go for a walk in Bangkok during this period be prepared to get drenched several times.  Farangs (this is what Thais call foreigners) are fair game!!!

Not my idea of fun but each to their own.

Google Songkran and you will see video clips of what goes on.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32364 on: January 16, 2020, 05:38:06 PM »

While sitting in the doctors waiting room today I was idly thumbing through this magazine.

This bit in particular caught my eye.

Lawks a mussey! It's like, 60% adverts.

It's astounding that people will pay good money for the privilege of reading someone's sales pitch.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32365 on: January 18, 2020, 08:20:08 PM »

By law, you have to turn your headlights on when it's raining in Sweden.

How the fek would I know when it's raining in Sweden?

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #32366 on: January 20, 2020, 02:52:43 PM »

in this modern age I'm sure your smart phone can tell you.

Ah! The element of surprise
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #32367 on: January 21, 2020, 08:59:42 AM »

if you drive a Volvo or a Saab they just leave the lights on all the time. There might be other examples but since Sweden changed the law to require them on (all the time i think, not just when raining) manufacturers decided to take it out of the hands of the driver and just make them always-on.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32368 on: January 21, 2020, 10:07:42 AM »

if you drive a Volvo or a Saab they just leave the lights on all the time. There might be other examples but since Sweden changed the law to require them on (all the time i think, not just when raining) manufacturers decided to take it out of the hands of the driver and just make them always-on.

Back in the day, if you left your lights on while you were parked up you came back to a flat battery. Nowadays when you turn your ignition off the lights go off too, meaning you can afford to leave them switched on all the time, which is what I do during winter.

Before battery and starter-motor technology improved to it's present astonishing level, winter starting used to be a real ritual.

First and foremost you had to know your vehicle. Half choke or full, how many pumps of the accelerator? Give it one go knowing it wouldn't start first turn, wait for ten seconds and then try again, this time it would fire but you had to "Catch" it.

On cold mornings, experienced drivers would make sure any extraneous drain on the battery was eliminated. Before turning the ignition key, all switches, lights, indicators, wipers, heater fan etc were checked in the off position and the clutch pedal would be held down. (No point in letting your poor battery and starter-motor turn a heavy gearbox laden with thick cold oil as well as turning the engine)

There was no spinning it over for ages like there is now, If it didn't start on the first few turns your battery would be flat and you had missed your chance. That's why cars came with starting handles.

If you did use a starting handle it was important to make sure that all your fingers and your thumb were on the same side when you gripped it. (A bit like putting your thumbs on the outside of the steering wheel when off roading in a 4x4) That way, if your ignition timing was a bit off and the engine fired too soon and "Kicked back" the handle wouldn't break your fingers.

Things are too easy now. Back then, even starting the car was an adventure.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32369 on: January 21, 2020, 10:21:11 AM »

The first vehicle I ever bought that didn't come with a starting handle as standard was an ex gas board transit van circa 1968. Everyone said it was the daftest thing they had ever seen.

Pages: 1 ... 2154 2155 2156 2157 [2158] 2159 2160 2161 2162 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: