blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:07:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2182 2183 2184 2185 [2186] 2187 2188 2189 2190 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3587206 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32775 on: September 28, 2020, 11:31:56 AM »

Today I learned that Kenyon & Son, producer of confectionery, jam and pickles also sold a snack called Hercules nuts to cinema audiences.
Eventually Kenyon & Son became Kenyon Products which in turn became KP.  Hercules nuts became KP nuts.

Mr Robert produced a strong mint which he named after himself, backwards.

John Sumner imported a popular brand of tea but he wanted a more memorable name for it than 'Sumner's tea'.
He settled on the Chinese word for Doctor, which is Typhoo.

The older I get, the better I was.
Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #32776 on: September 28, 2020, 01:08:26 PM »

Ahhh... Sing Something Simple with the Cliff Adams Singers.

That and the warm olive oil brought it all rushing back.

Ah we had sing something simple, my mum used to make us listen to that and she'd sing along to that and Songs of Praise and we'd be off to listen to the top 40 (think it was the top 20 when I was young?).  "What is that racket you are listening to?" she'd say completely oblivious to her own singing voice. 

Annie Nightingale was on after the top 40?

Every now n again I’m at home for songs of praise on Sunday ,my mums favourite programme bless her ,I can just about watch it now n keep my eyes dry

Got sent to bed n listen to Radio Luxembourg under the covers so in n out of tune it was ridic

My eyes almost rolled out of my head when The World at War or All Our Yesterdays came on. I'd love it now.

The World at War has and maybe still is being shown on the Yesterday Channel.

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32777 on: September 28, 2020, 01:43:15 PM »

Ah we had sing something simple, my mum used to make us listen to that and she'd sing along to that and Songs of Praise and we'd be off to listen to the top 40 (think it was the top 20 when I was young?).  "What is that racket you are listening to?" she'd say completely oblivious to her own singing voice. 

Every now n again I’m at home for songs of praise on Sunday ,my mums favourite programme bless her ,I can just about watch it now n keep my eyes dry

Got sent to bed n listen to Radio Luxembourg under the covers so in n out of tune it was ridic

My eyes almost rolled out of my head when The World at War or All Our Yesterdays came on. I'd love it now.

Yes, it is. Its a great series from the 70's I think. Narrated by Sir Lawrence Olivier.

That's not the one I was thinking of though. The one I mean started with black & white footage of a tank racing across a battlefield in the opening sequence.

Can't think what it was called now.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32778 on: September 28, 2020, 01:53:37 PM »

I found this under the All Our Yesterdays title. It's not the programme I was referring too but it's still interesting.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #32779 on: September 28, 2020, 02:43:52 PM »

I think I have seen it in the last 6 months, so guess it is still been shown.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32780 on: September 29, 2020, 11:38:13 AM »

Mrs Smith, (Her real name) a long time friend of Mrs Red put a post on her Whatsapp group asking where she could buy an electric typewriter.

Mrs Red has a quick look on Ebay and sent her a link to a reasonably priced one.

Shortly afterwards she received this reply. "No thanks, I think I'll leave that one where it is".

We couldn't work out what the problem was until we noticed the name of the machine on offer was Smiths Corona.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32781 on: September 29, 2020, 02:58:51 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

engy

View Profile
« Reply #32782 on: September 29, 2020, 11:46:19 PM »

Hi Red hope your ok, can you remember a programme called Man Alive? season 2 episode 3 was called the rag and bone men. My grandad Ronnie Curd was on it and also my great grandad. My cousin has it on DVD and is going to send me it. do you know anyway i can find the episodes online?
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32783 on: September 30, 2020, 07:59:35 AM »

Hi Red hope your ok, can you remember a programme called Man Alive? season 2 episode 3 was called the rag and bone men. My grandad Ronnie Curd was on it and also my great grandad. My cousin has it on DVD and is going to send me it. do you know anyway i can find the episodes online?

Hi engy,great to hear from you

Yes I do remember Man Alive but not the rag and bone man episode. I would be very interested in seeing it though.

Hope you and yours are all well.

Tom

engy

View Profile
« Reply #32784 on: September 30, 2020, 11:50:33 AM »

Hi Tom someone told me to try imdb its got a few Man Alive episodes on there but sadly not this one. A few appear on you tube also but not as far back as season 2 Sad As soon as i get the DVD ill try and upload it for you
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32785 on: September 30, 2020, 11:54:44 AM »

Hi Tom someone told me to try imdb its got a few Man Alive episodes on there but sadly not this one. A few appear on you tube also but not as far back as season 2 Sad As soon as i get the DVD ill try and upload it for you

Thanks engy.

There are several episodes on BBC iPlayer too but not that one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=man+alive

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32786 on: October 03, 2020, 07:50:22 PM »

In Switzerland, its illegal to buy just one guinea pig, you have to buy two.
How good is that?

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #32787 on: October 05, 2020, 09:57:44 AM »

How good is that?

I hear the President owns a guinea pig farm

Ah! The element of surprise
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #32788 on: October 05, 2020, 10:21:33 AM »

How good is that?

Found this because of your post, which has more on Swiss laws.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/loo-flushing--explosives---gold_fact-check--lonely-guinea-pigs-and-other-quirky-swiss-rumours/45067078

It seems it is ok to buy one to replace one that has died, I suspect it would be against the law not to?

The species that “must be kept in groups of at least two animals” are (for mammals) guinea pigs, mice, gerbils, rats, degus and chinchillas, and (for birds) Japanese quails, macaws, cockatoos, parakeets, parrots, canaries, estrildid finches and – of course – lovebirds. Domestic rabbits “may not be kept on their own during their first eight weeks”, after that they should be kept in groups “whenever possible”. If it’s not possible, they must at least be able to hear and smell other rabbits.

I like the quirky rules on rabbits.  It is OK to have one on its own, but i your neighbours rabbit dies then you have to buy another yourself?

My two want guinea pigs, and I know that it is recommended to buy at least two here.  I talked about refitting their wendy house so that they could keep them there, but haven't got round to it.  I suspect you'd have done this in a jiffy.  I do worry it will be stifling hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter, but looking around people do keep them outdoors in converted sheds.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32789 on: October 05, 2020, 10:34:18 AM »

It should be fine if it's well insulated.

People tend to forget that insulation works just as well for keeping heat out as keeping it in.

I'm all in favour of kids having pets, (correctly supervised of course) it teaches them responsibility and it teaches them about life and death. (Especially death where guinea pigs are concerned)

Pages: 1 ... 2182 2183 2184 2185 [2186] 2187 2188 2189 2190 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: