blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:54:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272477 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2258 2259 2260 2261 [2262] 2263 2264 2265 2266 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3587675 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33915 on: July 23, 2021, 04:43:30 PM »

The Hubble telescope was fixed on an empty part of space for ten days.

Every blip in this photo is a galaxy not a star - try to get your head around that!

"empty" part of space?

I am used to dealing with big numbers through work, but struggle to get my head around many things about space.

Assume they meant a seemingly empty part of space before unleashing Hubble's telescopic powers.

OK, let me tell you about this Hubble telescope story. I first stumbled upon it about 4 or 5 years ago and it totally blew my mind, I spent ages trying to get my head around it but of course I couldn't, no one can.

Did I hear someone say Stephen Hawking? Well he tried to make out that he understood it with all that singularity/big bang codswallop but it's all just smoke and mirrors. Let's look at the evidence.

To start with everything in the universe is squashed together so tightly that it doesn't exist, then, BOOM! countless galaxies, each one containing countless stars and planets, burst forth and expand through the endless, (I'll say that again) ENDLESS vastness of space. WTF?

That's just dandy Steve, but where did all that stuff come from before it got squished into a singularity?

Don't know? Thought not.

My advice is don't try to understand it, it will drive you divvy.

And while your at it don't try to understand quantum physics, time, parallel universes, magnetism, the meaning of life and women.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33916 on: July 23, 2021, 08:04:00 PM »

Hi Tom.

Some very random questions from me this morning, just cause.

What's your favourite breed of dog? Do you currently have a dog?

If you could only eat one meal every day for the rest of your life, what would it be?

What is the scariest thing that's ever happened to you?

Single favourite poker memory? Do you still play at all these days or plan to play again post-covid?

One technology you'd like improved and one you want banished from the world.

Random questions my arse. I will try to keep the answers brief but I can't promise anything.

What's your favourite breed of dog?

This is a tough one, I don't know yet if I will be able to arrive at a definitive answer.

Let me start by ruling out all the ones that have been ruined by having to conform to the the Kennel Club breed standard. So a few off the top of my head are Bulldog, Dachshund, Pug, Shar Pei, Chow-Chow & Great Dane.

Before I go any further let me just say a word in praise of the humble mongrel. I'm not talking about a cross-bred or hybrid here but the true, mongrel dam, mongrel sire, mongrel grandparents Heinz 57 mongrel. These have been some of the best dogs I've ever known.

Mongrels have loads of advantages. They have a huge gene-pool to draw from and so very rarely suffer from inherited deformity or frailty. When it comes to vitality and intelegence they are virtually always in the top few %

The big draw back with a mongrel is that you are taking a chance if you get one as a puppy because yo have no idea what he will turn out like or what his strong instincts will be, i.e guarding, hunting, retrieving, herding etc, and you don't know what his body shape or coat will be like.

If you want a mongrel try to get one that is old enough to show it's shape and character but young enough to be still unspoiled by bad experiences..

Several breeds have been my favourite at different stages of my life. Well, I say breeds, but mine have often been more types than breeds, Greyhounds crossed with Whippets to make them a bit smaller, a dash of Collie to make them a bit smarter, a pinch of Saluki to give them staying power.

I had one such lurcher called Branch, he wasn't the fastest hare coursing dog or the most fearless lamper but he was a great all-rounder and could 'hunt kill and carry' as the old trope goes. He was also a wonderful companion dog and a sensible, reliable guard. Anyone could walk up to our trailers and he wouldn't bat an eyelid, but woe betide them if they came sneaking, shouting, or under cover of darkness.

Patterdales are ferocious ratting terriers but they are too hard and headstrong to handle without some Lakeland or Jack Russel in the mix.

My best hunting terrier was a tiny broken-coated Patterdale x Lakeland x Lakeland bitch called Millie.
I called her one morning and she didn't come, I looked in her bed, (a shallow depression that she habitually dug behind the wheel of the trailer) and to my everlasting shame found her nursing three newborn puppies. I didn't even know she was pregnant.

When the pups were 6 weeks old (It has to be 8 weeks these days) I gave them away to people who I knew would love them even if they turned out like their unknown father rather than my beautiful bitch.

"I'll look ater it, even ifn it grows into a dhino-sor."

As it turned out they grew into beautiful dogs, a very similar stamp to Millie but an inch or two taller.

Gun-dogs are, for me at least, an easy decision. There are plenty of breeds to choose from, Golden retrievers, Curly-coated retrievers, Flat-coats, Springers, Cockers, Clumbers, the list is vast but Labradors (Working strain) are the ones for me.

So far I have been lucky enough to have two 'Once-in-a-lifetime' dogs and one of them was a yellow Labrador called Ben. I could fill a book with stories about him but this is not the time. I can't think of him without feeling happy and sad. It was my great privilege have him. He was my constant companion, he celebrated with me when I was happy, comforted me when I was sad, and loved me unconditionally.

RIP Ben.

Anyway, I feel like I'm digressing too much and dodging the question. You asked me to pick a breed and so I will.

If I had to choose a pedigree dog breed for the life I live today I would choose a miniature Poodle. (Au natural, not silly Poodle haircut). Miniature Poodles are not the tiny ones (Toy Poodle) and not the big ones (Standard Poodle) Miniatures stand about 15" at the shoulder, which IMO is an ideal size for a general purpose companion type dog.

Miniature Poodles are intelligent, energetic, easy to train and they don't shed hair.

My second choice would be a Cocker Spaniel. Good size, nose orientated, tractable, placid, fun loving, water loving, sycophantic and totally loyal.

Which brings me to your second question.

Do you currently have a dog?

Yes. I have a Miniature Poodle crossed with a Cocker Spaniel.

Click to see full-size image.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33917 on: July 23, 2021, 10:38:53 PM »

If you could only eat one meal every day for the rest of your life, what would it be?

After much dithering between Fry-ups, steak pudding and chips, Sunday roast etc I decided I had to do the sensible thing and have this.

https://www.businessinsider.com/scientists-create-the-healthiest-meal-ever-2012-6?r=US&IR=T

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #33918 on: July 24, 2021, 12:03:31 AM »

After much dithering between Fry-ups, steak pudding and chips, Sunday roast etc I decided I had to do the sensible thing and have this.

https://www.businessinsider.com/scientists-create-the-healthiest-meal-ever-2012-6?r=US&IR=T

I would have lumped on Prime Rib.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33919 on: July 24, 2021, 08:06:06 AM »

Red back to his story telling best, love it. And well done to Cos for pressing the necessary buttons.  

Have to say Tom, you look great, best I've seen in years, the weight loss really suits you.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 09:13:11 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33920 on: July 24, 2021, 09:09:55 AM »

Red back go his story telling best, love it.

Agree , thanks for sharing Tom.

I spent over 10 years living in a tiny house with wheels, good times.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33921 on: July 24, 2021, 11:13:11 AM »

I would have lumped on Prime Rib.

Oh my God yes, the prime rib. I've only ever eaten it in your company Ralph. If I'd thought of it I would have been hard pressed to choose the healthy option.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33922 on: July 24, 2021, 11:15:39 AM »

You can't make that statement and leave it at there Boo, you have to give us a few details.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33923 on: July 24, 2021, 12:39:31 PM »

What is the scariest thing that's ever happened to you?

I don't know if it's the same for everyone but loads of very scary things have happened to me. (Either that or I'm very easily frightened)

In fact thinking about it, I am easily frightened but thankfully I'm not a panicker. (Yes, panicker is a word, I looked it up).

Two of the most scary things that have happened to me can't be aired on a public forum, but I would tell you in person.

Also, there are several types of scary.

There's the sudden loud noise "Jesus H Christ, I just almost shit myself" scary. (Terrifying but too brief to worry about)

The "I'm going to jump out of this plane even though I'm bricking it" scary. (Slow burn fear but at least you are in control)

The "I've had an accident and I don't know how badly I'm hurt" scary. (Way up there on the frightening scale)

The "Oh Fuck, I may have to fight this bloke, I can't win and he is very likely to do me some permanent damage" scary. (Confrontation is one of my biggest fears, I hate it)

All these pale into insignificance when compared to the fear of something bad happening to a loved one. It's the most terrifying thing in the world, especially if you can't do anything about it. However, that stuff is beyond the scope and spirit of this question.

I'll have a think and get back to you.

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33924 on: July 25, 2021, 09:36:35 AM »

You can't make that statement and leave it at there Boo, you have to give us a few details.

Was looking for some photos to post but unable to find them.

edit.....will be back
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 09:43:42 AM by booder » Logged

im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33925 on: July 25, 2021, 07:48:20 PM »

Ahh, HGV's Boo, why didn't I know that?

What did you haul and where did you go?

When did you pass your test and when did you stop driving?

Did you do abroad?

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33926 on: July 26, 2021, 12:01:11 AM »

Ahh, HGV's Boo, why didn't I know that?

What did you haul and where did you go?

When did you pass your test and when did you stop driving?

Did you do abroad?
Will do a post tomorrow

Martin Luther King Jr
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33927 on: July 26, 2021, 01:41:36 PM »

* Photos are from the internet.

After my marriage ended,i moved back to my hometown of Dereham , bought a three bedroom house,installed a lodger and continued in my job as an area manager (Butchery) for Gateway Foodmarkets,but i wasn't really happy.

I was chatting to my Dad about changing jobs and he suggested HGV's.He had spent many years driving for British Rail and then Roadline and knew i had enjoyed my summer holidays going out in the truck with him.I had also spent time with a good friend who used to deliver tower cranes and i was very good at map reading.

I booked myself a course in Norwich,after Dad offered to lend me the money - £900 i believe, this would be about 1992 ish .Monday to Thursday was spent learning on the streets of Norwich with the Exam on Friday.Turns out i was a natural and i sailed through.

Finding a job was difficult , everybody wanted experienced drivers,all except Roffes Transport of Sutton Bridge.I had been told that old man Roffe was an old bastard to work for but as he gave newbies a chance i headed out for an interview.Well, we hit it off straight away.The money wasn't great x pence per mile
,£5 for each delivery or collection and £12 night out money.
The fleet of trucks ,maybe 25 in total was predominantly DAF , with a couple of MAN and a couple of Fodens,all pretty well used with the newest about 7 0r 8 years old.

I was given the newbies truck , an old DAF,pretty beat up , basic cab with bunk and nothing else , no night heater or such luxury.

The newbies truck is in the centre (one of only a couple of trucks in blue livery apart from the shunter.)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 01:43:27 PM by booder » Logged

Martin Luther King Jr
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33928 on: July 26, 2021, 01:49:07 PM »

Right next to Roffes yard is Sutton Bridge docks where boatloads of steel would arrive daily.Hauling this made up a high percentage of our work,loading re-bar and steel coils on flatbed trailers and delivering them to large industries , a major firm we delivered to was Armstrongs of Stoke.

Once delivered we would ring the office and they would give us collection details for a return load which could be literally anything.We also hauled fertiliser out of Kings Lynn docks which involved roping and sheeting the load,a skill many of todays drivers have never needed to use.

After a few months i got promoted to a DAF 95 with a lift axle (you can raise the rear axle saving wear when running empty.

Loved that old truck ,didnt have the biggest of engines but was super reliable and never let me down,got me out of a few tricky spots.

I still did the odd load of steel but was pulling Norfolkline Trailers out of Yarmouth and Frigoscania fridges out of Kings Lynn.These were more financially rewarding as the number of deliveries on a single trailer could
be as many as 25 spread over a couple of days.

Martin Luther King Jr
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33929 on: July 26, 2021, 01:49:55 PM »

Martin Luther King Jr
Pages: 1 ... 2258 2259 2260 2261 [2262] 2263 2264 2265 2266 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: