blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:44:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2278 2279 2280 2281 [2282] 2283 2284 2285 2286 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3600139 times)
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #34215 on: February 06, 2022, 09:51:04 PM »

A lot of people on twitter exclaiming that "gypsy" is an offensive term and that Roma should only ever be used

eg
https://twitter.com/madeline_cct/status/1489927947729395713?s=20&t=wBUKK7kNJ-KD61hGifUNcg

I thought that was a generally used "official" term now?

Is it a Europe vs the UK thing maybe?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34216 on: February 06, 2022, 09:55:54 PM »

A lot of people on twitter exclaiming that "gypsy" is an offensive term and that Roma should only ever be used

eg
https://twitter.com/madeline_cct/status/1489927947729395713?s=20&t=wBUKK7kNJ-KD61hGifUNcg

gypsy is an offensive term Jon, although that's what officialdom and the media insist on using.

Gypsy however is fine.

The older I get, the better I was.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #34217 on: February 06, 2022, 10:09:11 PM »

eg

gypsy is an offensive term Jon, although that's what officialdom and the media insist on using.

Gypsy however is fine.

I deliberately used the lower case because that's the only thing I've seen from people commenting on it

I don't think they're making a statement about the difference between gypsy and Gypsy - from what I've seen many seem to be equating it to the n* word for black people

In the tweet I linked as an example she says something like, "if a Roma person calls themselves a gypsy that doesn't give other people the right to use that term"

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34218 on: February 06, 2022, 11:00:23 PM »

eg

Gypsy however is fine.

I deliberately used the lower case because that's the only thing I've seen from people commenting on it

I don't think they're making a statement about the difference between gypsy and Gypsy - from what I've seen many seem to be equating it to the n* word for black people

In the tweet I linked as an example she says something like, "if a Roma person calls themselves a gypsy that doesn't give other people the right to use that term"

It's quite complex Jon. People confuse Roma, Traveller, Gypsy, all different.

The Rom came to Europe from India around 600 years ago, the ones who came to Great Britain were thought to be from Egypt and were called Egyptians, which morphed into Gypsy. British Gypsies maintained a nomadic lifestyle.

On the continent the rom were known as Roma, they tended to live, or were forced into ghetto type, settled communities.

The Rom couldn't get a foothold in Ireland because there was already a nomadic group known as Travellers.

The settled community (Non Gypsy/Gorgers) talk about Irish Gypsies but there are none. There are Irish Travellers and English, Welsh or Scottish Gypsies.

Some Roma may take offence at being called Gypsy. (Although I don't think so) Gypsies definitely don't.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34219 on: February 08, 2022, 03:39:06 PM »

Daytime telly = funeral plans & animal cruelty adverts.

Arsenic anyone?

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #34220 on: February 08, 2022, 04:47:28 PM »

you missed over 60s life assurance and home reversion plans. The daytime ads are shocking.  That will prob be the BBC all day in a few years, if nadine horrors gets her way.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #34221 on: February 08, 2022, 06:27:42 PM »

Feel like I'd be dropped by West Ham if I got close to my neighbour's cat the next time it craps in my garden.  Arrogant thing just sauntered across in front of the car when I was coming home one day last week, definitely gave it a second's pause before slamming the brakes on.

Then he gave me the "I'll shit where I like" look before squatting down today.  Am sure he was thinking, you had your chance last week bud, you aren't going to do anything...

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34222 on: February 08, 2022, 07:07:33 PM »

Feel like I'd be dropped by West Ham if I got close to my neighbour's cat the next time it craps in my garden.  Arrogant thing just sauntered across in front of the car when I was coming home one day last week, definitely gave it a second's pause before slamming the brakes on.

Then he gave me the "I'll shit where I like" look before squatting down today.  Am sure he was thinking, you had your chance last week bud, you aren't going to do anything...

"I want to apologise for my actions. There are no excuses for my behaviour, which I sincerely regret," centre-back Zouma, 27, said in a statement.

"I also want to say how deeply sorry I am to anyone who was upset by the video. I would like to assure everyone that our two cats are perfectly fine and healthy.

"They are loved and cherished by our entire family, and this behaviour was an isolated incident that will not happen again."

Yeah, right.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #34223 on: February 08, 2022, 11:25:57 PM »

"I want to apologise for my actions. There are no excuses for my behaviour, which I sincerely regret," centre-back Zouma, 27, said in a statement.

"I also want to say how deeply sorry I am to anyone who was upset by the video. I would like to assure everyone that our two cats are perfectly fine and healthy.

"They are loved and cherished by our entire family, and this behaviour was an isolated incident that will not happen again."

Yeah, right.

The cats must have run away.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34224 on: February 09, 2022, 11:58:54 AM »

I think West Ham could have learned a valuable lesson from Raith Rovers.

You have to listen to the fans.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34225 on: February 09, 2022, 02:46:04 PM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60312876

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #34226 on: February 09, 2022, 02:56:16 PM »

"this behaviour was an isolated incident that will not happen again."

Well he was right on the last part of his statement.  Hopefully they won't be showing up in my garden to kill a few birds and a
good crap.  And if they do, wonder if Zouma does meet and greets? 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34227 on: February 09, 2022, 03:38:11 PM »

Well he was right on the last part of his statement.  Hopefully they won't be showing up in my garden to kill a few birds and a

I wish the RSPCA would confiscate my moles.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #34228 on: February 09, 2022, 03:42:40 PM »

I wish the RSPCA would confiscate my moles.

RSPCA rules apply to all animals, so make sure you give them a good cuddle next time they pee you off.  Can arrange a swap for some squirrels. 

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34229 on: February 09, 2022, 06:28:19 PM »

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 ... 2278 2279 2280 2281 [2282] 2283 2284 2285 2286 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: