blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 08:19:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2274191 Posts in 66765 Topics by 16956 Members
Latest Member: indianrenters
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 ... 2349 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3794123 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #945 on: April 20, 2008, 08:49:20 AM »

A galvanised tin bath. We used to get loads of these too (most houses had one hanging on the wall near the back door)

My brother Tracy and I used to use them as canoes, but they were terribly unstable.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #946 on: April 20, 2008, 09:05:14 AM »

Old iron beadsteads were another common item. The trouble with these was that they didn't weigh very much and were quite bulky, but you could dismantle them and use them to make the sides of your truck higher.

You had to be careful when unscrewing the brass knobs off the top of the bedposts. They often contained bedbugs, and you didn't want one of those up your jersy to take home.

M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #947 on: April 20, 2008, 09:22:25 AM »

So I'm still wrestling with online cash.

I don't get it. People say "wait until you can beat one Level before you move up to the next"

I have to admit, I can't beat any level. Well, not to the extent that I could say "That's it, I can beat that level, day in day out"

To tell the truth, I can't see a marked difference in the ability of $1/2 players and $5/10 players. The only difference I can see is in my own ability to play properly (i.e. boldly and confidently) without worrying about bankroll restrictions.

Bankroll considerations apart, as far as I'm concerned, players are no better or worse at $1/2 than they are at $5/10. In fact I often have 3 or 4 tables open, each one at a different level. I play them all the same, and I can be doing my bollocks at $1/2 and winning at $5/10.

It seems to me that when it comes to moving up levels, your main consideration should be having deep enough pockets to be able to absorb the now more expensive bad runs and dry spells, and to be able to play with the same confidence that you had at the lower levels.

How do you play different levels at the same time?

Different levels require different playing styles, what works at one level does not work at another.

ie : low level cash - basic tight aggressive is the key, but try this style at a high level and you will get killed.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #948 on: April 20, 2008, 09:47:57 AM »

So I'm still wrestling with online cash.

I don't get it. People say "wait until you can beat one Level before you move up to the next"

I have to admit, I can't beat any level. Well, not to the extent that I could say "That's it, I can beat that level, day in day out"

To tell the truth, I can't see a marked difference in the ability of $1/2 players and $5/10 players. The only difference I can see is in my own ability to play properly (i.e. boldly and confidently) without worrying about bankroll restrictions.

Bankroll considerations apart, as far as I'm concerned, players are no better or worse at $1/2 than they are at $5/10. In fact I often have 3 or 4 tables open, each one at a different level. I play them all the same, and I can be doing my bollocks at $1/2 and winning at $5/10.

It seems to me that when it comes to moving up levels, your main consideration should be having deep enough pockets to be able to absorb the now more expensive bad runs and dry spells, and to be able to play with the same confidence that you had at the lower levels.

How do you play different levels at the same time?

Different levels require different playing styles, what works at one level does not work at another.

ie : low level cash - basic tight aggressive is the key, but try this style at a high level and you will get killed.

I would have also said that higher levels require different styles, and indeed more ability.  but within the range that I play, ($1/2 to $5/10) that somehow just doesn't seem to be the case.

As I said in my original post, the only difference seems to be having deep enough pockets to be able to absorb the now more expensive bad runs and dry spells.

EDIT: I made a couple of sarcastic comments in my original reply to Paul, (I'm so weak) but then, in a rare moment of common sense, I edited them out.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 10:25:09 AM by RED-DOG » Logged

jakally

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: April 20, 2008, 10:26:46 AM »

IMO, the most important factor to being a winning online cash player is game selection. That can (and probably should) mean, being prepared to play across different levels.

If you play $1/$2, or $2/$4 on Stars, the traffic is plentiful, and you can stay at one level and find the fishier players.
On smaller sites / networks, it is often more profitable to not be constrained by needing to play at a certain level, and to hunt round for the best games (although ensuring you are adequately rolled).

Although in more general terms higher limits have better players, and are more LAG, and lower limits have more passive or nittier players, this isn't always true.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #950 on: April 20, 2008, 10:35:03 AM »

IMO, the most important factor to being a winning online cash player is game selection. That can (and probably should) mean, being prepared to play across different levels.

If you play $1/$2, or $2/$4 on Stars, the traffic is plentiful, and you can stay at one level and find the fishier players.
On smaller sites / networks, it is often more profitable to not be constrained by needing to play at a certain level, and to hunt round for the best games (although ensuring you are adequately rolled).

Although in more general terms higher limits have better players, and are more LAG, and lower limits have more passive or nittier players, this isn't always true.

For the most part, I think I agree with this. I do look out for known fishy players and will sit with them even at the (for me) high levels.

I think it is often the case that these players have had a good/lucky run at the lower levels and moved up for a while because they have cash on the hip.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 20, 2008, 11:00:12 AM »

I'm starting to think that there might be some kind of tooth's union, as mine seem to have "come out" in sympathy.

My bridge has worked it's way loose and I'm now doing that thing where they keep moving after I've stopped speaking.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #952 on: April 20, 2008, 11:02:38 AM »

I would have also said that higher levels require different styles, and indeed more ability.  but within the range that I play, ($1/2 to $5/10) that somehow just doesn't seem to be the case.

As I said in my original post, the only difference seems to be having deep enough pockets to be able to absorb the now more expensive bad runs and dry spells.

EDIT: I made a couple of sarcastic comments in my original reply to Paul, (I'm so weak) but then, in a rare moment of common sense, I edited them out.

Proof that Tom's account has been hacked - FACT Wink
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #953 on: April 20, 2008, 08:04:18 PM »

ITV's new show "Beat the star"

The star (in this case boxer Amir Kahn) beats the member of the public thereby preventing him from winning the $50,000 prize.

When Amir "wins" he doesn't get the prize himself, he just prevents the contestant from winning it. A difficult victory to celebrate I would have thought.

Is it me, or does this format just seem wrong?

The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: April 20, 2008, 08:21:02 PM »

I agree Tom, I would be sooo very tempted to let the oppo win if I were the star.

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #955 on: April 20, 2008, 08:25:38 PM »

The star (in this case boxer Amir Kahn) beats the member of the public thereby preventing him from winning the $50,000 prize.

When Amir "wins" he doesn't get the prize himself, he just prevents the contestant from winning it. A difficult victory to celebrate I would have thought.

Amir's opponent got what he deserved............nothing.  He was hopeless. Even Ironside would have beat him in the penalty shootout.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #956 on: April 20, 2008, 08:29:01 PM »

Amir's opponent got what he deserved............nothing.  He was hopeless. Even Ironside would have beat him in the penalty shootout.

Lol, that's true, but that wasn't the point I was making.

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #957 on: April 20, 2008, 08:33:35 PM »

i agree that the format is strange.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #958 on: April 20, 2008, 09:00:17 PM »

i agree that the format is strange. a joke and Khan should be ashamed at himself for even taking part in this

FYP

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: April 20, 2008, 09:21:52 PM »

one of the worst pieces of tv I've seen in years. I only caught 2 bits, a contest to see who can hit the most nails into a piece of wood in a set time and a penalty shootout involving a guy who's clearly never kicked a ball before.
the stick he's going to get for his lack of footballing skills when he goes back to the police station doesn't bear thinking about

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 ... 2349 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: