blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:48:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272431 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best of blonde
| | | |-+  Julian Thew: "in the well"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Julian Thew: "in the well"  (Read 87837 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2008, 12:33:42 PM »

Welcome to the new "In the Well" feature where blondes ask successful players their burning questions!

Each blonde can ask a maximum of 5 questions of the player...poker or non-poker related,which the player will answer. We hope!

Each player's time in the well will last ten days, at which point another player steps up

Please keep this thread for questions and answers only

discussion of the idea, and all feedback about ways to develop and imporve the feature should be posted on this linked thread  http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=30634.msg643274#new

Thank you

So we kick off,questions to run until Friday 22nd February, with

Julian Thew, EPT Champion, double GUKPT Champion, William Hill sponsored professional player

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 12:37:56 PM »

It has to be done;

What is your favourite pie filling?

now to think of some poker ones.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
madasahatstand

Bang

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 12:39:13 PM »

How do you maintain your health with all the hours you need to work through the night? I'm interested particularly in your diet and any exercise you might do and how poker affects your family/social life?

Patience is a virtue.

Bainn
The Preacher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 12:41:31 PM »

Can you still remember the nervousness/excitement of your first ever poker game ?  And are there times now that make you feel the same ?

"Decerno, exsequor"

"It's nothing personal, just business."
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 12:43:48 PM »

It has to be done;

this is too easy....rhubarb of course
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 12:45:28 PM »

How has top-level tournament poker changed in recent years and what adjustments to your game have you felt you've had to make?

How do you run so good? Seriously, is it some voodoo thing or witchcraft?
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 12:53:04 PM »

It has to be done;

this is too easy....rhubarb of course

nice!

OK...Now a hypothetical scenario for you.

Say you are a recreational poker player who would definetly not mind giving being a pro a whack. But you have no bankroll to speak off and reckon you'd want 100k$ before you turn pro.

Say you win 20k$ by winning 2 WSOP ME packages on stars (so you get the cash)

Would you;

A; Play the Main Event with half of your winnings?

B; Play a smaller tourney (1500$ PLO) just for fun, and because you think you have an edge in that game, and go over to Vegas to take advantage of the cash action there during the WSOP? (assume you are a half decent cash player who'd expect to make a profit out of doing that)

C; Use your bankroll management skills and use the 20k to build it up online where you won't have the expenses that going to Vegas would bring with it and maybe just play a GUKPT touney if you wanted to play one.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 01:34:25 PM »

How do you maintain your health with all the hours you need to work through the night? I'm interested particularly in your diet and any exercise you might do and how poker affects your family/social life?

that's a very pertinent question; i've been seeing a sports psychologists this year & the first thing he asked me was, 'are you fit & healthy?'
my honest answer had to be, 'no not really'.
i used to be, but the hours i sometimes keep now & my general lethargy when it comes to all things healthy have been my weakness.
so yes, i aim to sort it out, it just may take some time & lots of prodding.
family-wise, they are all very supportive of what i do, it wasn't an overnight thing, but i'm sensible & they know the house keys won't ever end up in a pot lol
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 01:43:10 PM »

Can you still remember the nervousness/excitement of your first ever poker game ?  And are there times now that make you feel the same ?

oh yes, that buzz will never be forgotten.
i don't suffer too much from nerves now but the big competitions are still very exciting - having said that i'm drooling at the prospect of the 300 at walsall this evening, it's a local competition, the crack'll be good & making any final table is always special
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 01:43:52 PM »

1. Do you believe that same sex couples should be allowed to adopt children?Huh?   

as someone who appreciates beauty in both the sexes, yeah sure, you'll be fine, give it a go
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 01:53:21 PM »

I only play poker when I am in the mood, and it might seem strange but when I want to really win.

What do you do if your not in the mood to play poker? or your mind is not 100% right to play your best?

Also if your sponsor wants you to play in an event and you really are not in the mood to play poker? (Yes I know its your job)
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 01:53:52 PM »

hi Julie...............have you ever been tempted to follow in the footsteps of Paddy Ashdown and Sir Ranulph Fiennes and compete in The Devizes to Westminster International Canoe Marathon ?

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 01:55:47 PM »

Edit : Kind of related to Acidmouse's post

How much of your life is poker - do you live, eat, sleep, drink it? Or do you treat like a job (do the job, then do other things to relax/for fun).

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 01:56:09 PM »

1. Do you believe that same sex couples should be allowed to adopt children?Huh?   

as someone who appreciates beauty in both the sexes, yeah sure, you'll be fine, give it a go

..post of the week already.

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 01:57:27 PM »

How has top-level tournament poker changed in recent years and what adjustments to your game have you felt you've had to make?

How do you run so good? Seriously, is it some voodoo thing or witchcraft?

the numbers & the prizepools have both swelled & the predominant style of choice tends to be aggressive.
i used to be play a very aggressive game, any two, any position, but i suspect 'tight-aggressive-calling station' is a more apt label these days.

running good - yeah i think i have run good the past 5 months or so, but i do have a vast sample size & haven't had top worry about going busto thanks to my sponsors william hill.
no witchcraft or voodoo yet, but the subject or topic of luck is (i think) an unexplored field - i do believe some are luckier than others & i would put myself into that category
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: