blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:08:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best of blonde
| | | |-+  Julian Thew: "in the well"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Julian Thew: "in the well"  (Read 88099 times)
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2008, 10:33:13 PM »

Julian, I'm reading this thread backwards Smiley so apologies if this has been asked already...do you think it is possible in the UK to be a tourny pro without a sponsorship deal?

Now Im off to read the thread all the way through Smiley

hey red,
long time no see, hope ur well.
def, yes.
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2008, 10:35:25 PM »

Julian, got another one for you:

First level of a deep-stack tournament with a decent blind structure.

You have KK.

You don't know any of your opponents, and you have no idea how any of them play.

Someone raises to 200 (4xBB), you make a standard re-raise - they shove all-in making it 10,000 total.

Call or fold?

the book says fold i'm sure - prob 50/50 for me, depends on the opponent & my feel for the situation

OK, thanks.

So with no read, and no knowledge of the players (say it's the first hand of the tourney and you don't know anyone at the table), you call or fold?

these days, a long sigh, then call
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2008, 10:41:45 PM »

Yo Julian

You are at an important stage in a big tournament. Two tables of six players left and first prize is $1 million. You are in the BB and everyone folds to the SB. He raises it up and you call with QK suited. By chance when you glance over at him you see his hole cards are 82 off. The flop comes 297 and he now bets about 15% of his stack and you have him covered. What do you do? (you also know this guy from playing on the circuit and often have a few drinks at the bar with him)

ffs,
i don't hear from you for like 12 months & then you come up with this?
this sure sounds like a trick a trick question.....but you're telling me i can get my chips in first with overcards??
a clear push & 'suckout if called' situation.
xx
ps, u in copenhagen?
ariston

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2008, 10:49:23 PM »

julian- have you ever had any lucky chips/card protectors/underpants or anything. I am considering any option to get a hand to hold up so if you have an old trinket for me at the vic next month (that still has a bit of luck left in it) I would be happy to give you a % in return if it works Wink

ps hoping its not lucky underpants as they may be a little constrictive
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 10:53:27 PM by ariston » Logged

ariston

better lucky than good
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2008, 11:15:54 PM »

julian- have you ever had any lucky chips/card protectors/underpants or anything. I am considering any option to get a hand to hold up so if you have an old trinket for me at the vic next month (that still has a bit of luck left in it) I would be happy to give you a % in return if it works Wink

ps hoping its not lucky underpants as they may be a little constrictive

nah, afraid not chief....but i guess i am a little superstious in that if day 1 went well, i'll try & prepare exactly the same on day 2...tends to mean eating alot of curry...not good for those in the immediate vicinity 
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2008, 11:18:44 PM »

I have one very important question.

Whats your favourite curry house in Nottingham?

I don't feel like i have been to enough and i love Indian food.
amcgrath1uk

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2008, 11:19:24 PM »

not specifically dealing with ariston here, but I was lucky enough to witness ariston totally destroy someone in a live game just through banter. ( what made that bloody funny is that it was a 2/3 quid rebuy)

how would u deal with it?

julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2008, 11:32:50 PM »

I have one very important question.

Whats your favourite curry house in Nottingham?

I don't feel like i have been to enough and i love Indian food.

laguna, just around the corner from maid marian way is great & siam thani in hockley is my fave thai....drool
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2008, 11:33:54 PM »

not specifically dealing with ariston here, but I was lucky enough to witness ariston totally destroy someone in a live game just through banter. ( what made that bloody funny is that it was a 2/3 quid rebuy)

hehe, get the chablis in & watch him disintergrate
amcgrath1uk

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2008, 11:40:05 PM »

hehe, get the chablis in & watch him disintergrate

haha thats pretty similar to what I did...as well as have a laugh with ariston about it. That, and the shame that he was seen playing a 2/3 quid rebuy Wink

ariston

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2008, 01:17:21 AM »

If you remember I did have a reason for playing the £3 rebuy as I had a student I was teaching to play on the other table. I was hardly gonna put her in a big comp was I? No shame in the small comps anyway they can be great fun.

As a lead on from that- do you find you cant concentrate as much on the smaller competitions now you have tasted big wins. Do you still see a grand or 2 at dtd as worth winning or do you find you only really try to focus in the big events and treat the smaller comps like socials.

ariston

better lucky than good
Pab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2008, 02:57:43 AM »

why dont you update your blog?

julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2008, 09:58:36 AM »

If you remember I did have a reason for playing the £3 rebuy as I had a student I was teaching to play on the other table. I was hardly gonna put her in a big comp was I? No shame in the small comps anyway they can be great fun.

As a lead on from that- do you find you cant concentrate as much on the smaller competitions now you have tasted big wins. Do you still see a grand or 2 at dtd as worth winning or do you find you only really try to focus in the big events and treat the smaller comps like socials.

one wonders at the extent of 'her' coaching...
a grand or two still means alot & making any final table will always be special, so yeah i do take the local comps fairly seriously but my record in them off late is pretty crappy...no dtd final tables yet
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2008, 10:00:55 AM »

why dont you update your blog?

hey mr,
er, good question...i think i just ran out of steam altho it is always on my list of things to get around to doing
slowmo

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2008, 10:10:02 AM »

Hi Julian, long time no speak . I hope you and your family are well. I am so very pleased  for you about your recent results. I have been wrapped up in stuff so not found the time to chat or congratulate you. May have time today if you dont mind me phoning you.Let me know . kindest regards  Slowmo.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: