blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:06:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  flopped straight
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: flopped straight  (Read 1304 times)
Claw75

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2008, 04:17:44 PM »

this hand's been buzzing about in my head - I'd welcome any opinions.  I don't have the HH saved, so will have to rely on my memory I'm afraid.  DTD £300 sat last night.  There's one seat up for grabs, and cash for 2nd and 3rd.  I'm sitting 3/15 (20 started) and we're playing 5 handed.  Can't even remember what level we're on, but the blinds are still relatively low in comparison to my chip stack.  For arguments sake let's say I have 5000 and blinds are 75/150.

I raise 3x bb with  in the cut off,  BB (who has me covered) reraises to 1000 or so and I call.  Flop  and BB moves all in.

At this stage I'm fairly sure I'm ahead to either a floped set or (more likely) an overpair with a heart or  , and odds on to still be ahead I call and we see the next two cards.  Is it ever right to fold in this position?  The only sure fire way of getting out of this pot alive is to fold now, leaving me with a still healthy chipstack.  Win this pot though, and I'm a massive chip leader.

So - instacall, or more thought required?

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Pyso

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 04:32:02 PM »

My first reaction to his move here is A,K with the ace of hearts. But it is just a FIRST reaction...

I suppose your response depends on how you approach a satellite. It is early enough in the sat to fold, but as you say, winning this pot (and you are very strong right now) will go a long way to getting you home.

So, no, it's not an easy decision. But surely you must like having a made hand, even if it can yet be beaten?

He might be as scared of the flush as you. He could even have the same hand.

If you know nothing of the player I would lean towards a call here. If he has two hearts, well that's a little unlucky.

So yes, have a ponder, but call anyway. LOL
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 04:41:28 PM »

You can never fold here, your 70/30 against nearly all of his range and only behind to a flopped flush, which he nevers plays like this...

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 04:44:01 PM »

easy call but mainly because it's a winner only gets a seat sat.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 04:47:49 PM »

Even if the range he does this with is the worst for you i.e. ahkh,AhQh,KhQh, overpairs with a heart, aq/ak with a heart and a set of jacks, you are still a slight favorite and in reality after reraising preflop his range might be wider ie he might just push black aces here because he doesn't want a decision.  So this far from any money, it's an easy call for me.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 04:50:41 PM »

easy call but mainly because it's a winner only gets a seat sat.

I agree with the German hippy dwarf.    You're going to have to gamble at some point to get the one seat with 15 runners still in, and now seems a pretty good time to do that.

Call and then swear when they turn over and hit the flush on the river.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 04:55:26 PM »

I agree with the German hippy dwarf.   

I though Boldie was dutch and if he's a dwarf I must be one of the Borrowers.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 04:57:00 PM by doubleup » Logged
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 04:57:03 PM »

I agree with the German hippy dwarf.   

I though Boldie was dutch and he's a dwarf I must be one of the Borrowers.

You didn't mention his hair.

Grin

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 05:53:23 PM »

What hair?     When I introduced him to Timothy, hubby thought I said 'Baldie' and used that name all week-end.   

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 08:14:06 PM »

Fold to the 3 bet preflop imo, the assigned range you give him postflop has you pretty crushed preflop.

I call pretty quickly, normally with me going "ah well there is no way i can fold here".

Then followed by either "goddam this idiot has shoved with a flush aaaagggh" or "hold hold, ............. goddam fk my life", normally followed by putting my head in my hands.

LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 08:18:33 PM »

id fold pre probs, but in this spot would never fold.

why is it 5 handed with 15 left?
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 08:34:25 PM »

Fold to the 3 bet preflop imo, the assigned range you give him postflop has you pretty crushed preflop.

At that point I think he may just be defending his blind, so happy to call in position here - it's only the post flop shove that makes me think he's holding something decent.

Good question LeKnave.  The answer is my memory has probably served me incorrectly and we were actually 7 handed (it looked like lots of empty seats anyway).

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 09:47:30 AM »

Fold to 3bet pre. As played you are never ever folding this hand.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 10:32:13 AM »

What hair?     When I introduced him to Timothy, hubby thought I said 'Baldie' and used that name all week-end.   

He called you that all weekend? Keep your dirty secrets to yourself, will ya?

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 10:33:52 AM »

Thanks all!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: