blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:49:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272577 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Learning Centre (Moderators: Longy, JungleCat03)
| | | |-+  Playing a set - Ipoker 25c/50c
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Playing a set - Ipoker 25c/50c  (Read 2722 times)
Wannabe

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2008, 06:15:17 PM »

Hi All

Playing 25c/50c on Noble Poker. Unfortunately don't know how to get the hand history but I just had this hand and wondered if I played it right.

I am the small blind sitting with $52.20
MP1 has $50.75
Cut off has $45.50

I am dealt three diamonds three clubs

MP1 Raises it to $2
Cut Off calls
I call

Flop Comes

Best flop I can really ask for with my hand.

I check as I have seen MP1 continuation bet before (is this a mistake?)
MP1 bets out $4.5
Cut off calls

I raise to $15
Both fold

I suppose I should be happy with that return but do I miss value here as I know MP1 is aggressive and might well have bet out on the turn as well?
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 06:23:02 PM »

I think you played it fine given your read that he cbets alot. In different circumstances leading is also fine here, looking to get raised/called.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 07:01:24 PM »

What Longy said really.  You want to get more money into the pot, and so I tend to lead out here if I think there's chance of a call or a raise. 

The only problem with the check-raise is that if he is just continuation betting, you know he's going to fold to your check-raise, and therefore you're not going to get any more from this pot.

Is there a case for check calling, and then betting large on the turn?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Wannabe

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »

Thanks Guy's

I was wondering if I should have done what Kinboshi suggested and just flat called and then gone for the raise on the turn. That way I might get more money out of a hand like AQ?

If he had say AQ, KK or AA does my check raise give away the strength of my hand and let him get away sometimes? Also he could bet again on the turn as another continuation bet?

I do only have bottom set. That is really strong on the flop but would not be so good if he checked behind me on the turn and made a big bet on the river. Is that kind of thinking to "nitty"
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 08:35:55 PM »

Thanks Guy's

I was wondering if I should have done what Kinboshi suggested and just flat called and then gone for the raise on the turn. That way I might get more money out of a hand like AQ?

If he had say AQ, KK or AA does my check raise give away the strength of my hand and let him get away sometimes? Also he could bet again on the turn as another continuation bet?

I do only have bottom set. That is really strong on the flop but would not be so good if he checked behind me on the turn and made a big bet on the river. Is that kind of thinking to "nitty"

that part is nitty, yes.

I lead out here more often than not unless I think original raiser won't reraise me as part of his continuation bet. I don't check-raise here. I could check-call here and have him fir eon the turn as part of his bluff.

Unless the board flushes you should always go broke with bottom set here so don't consider folding.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Benny Brox

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 09:59:54 PM »

If opponent is a serial CB'er check-calling and making a value bet on the turn seems fine here. Sometimes I don't mind making a weak lead as well on the flop, maybe around half the pot. At this level it looks more like a weak/probe bet than a value bet so the original raiser might get frisky with a lesser hand.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: