blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:10:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Okay society you win- Diary of a fat boy
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Okay society you win- Diary of a fat boy  (Read 73900 times)
The-Crow
~*v*~ (_)? ~*v*~

loves SkyPoker

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: August 30, 2008, 01:26:55 AM »

Hi m8

we all missed you in the PRIMO tonight, guess you did not make it back in time,  unlucky m8

from crowy

don't let all this stuff scare ya.  its all a bit of fun
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 30, 2008, 11:48:09 PM »

Top work Snatty, a truly remarkable effort. I'm stuck around the 16st7lb mark, which is about 2st above what I should be for my height, but I'm never going to see that weight again. You'll be below me for sure in a couple of months at this rate, ffs.
John McCririck is my kind of fatty. He said he'd never employ someone who's overweight as they're basically lazy and unreliable. Not sure about the unreliable bit but I can see why that might be true in some cases. Lazy is right though. If I cut out beer and kept doing what I do now at the gym I'd hit 14st7lb in a few months but it's never going to happen. Laziness whichever way I want to dress it up.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Snatiramas
Loving London

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 31, 2008, 09:43:02 AM »

Hi m8

we all missed you in the PRIMO tonight, guess you did not make it back in time,  unlucky m8

from crowy

Law of sod I am afraid. Stuck on an air berlin flight that refused to take off......got home after 10pm........oh well maybe next time

The most insidious of rules are those that aren't rules at all.
They are the limitations that we invent for ourselves
Snatiramas
Loving London

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 31, 2008, 09:51:13 AM »

Top work Snatty, a truly remarkable effort. I'm stuck around the 16st7lb mark, which is about 2st above what I should be for my height, but I'm never going to see that weight again. You'll be below me for sure in a couple of months at this rate, ffs.
John McCririck is my kind of fatty. He said he'd never employ someone who's overweight as they're basically lazy and unreliable. Not sure about the unreliable bit but I can see why that might be true in some cases. Lazy is right though. If I cut out beer and kept doing what I do now at the gym I'd hit 14st7lb in a few months but it's never going to happen. Laziness whichever way I want to dress it up.

No mate not laziness. When you are ready you will do it, but not until you are ready. It is priority setting. Fat people are not lazy they just have different priorities. Thin people are dieting all the time. In fact they are so used to dieting they do not even know they are doing it............ anyway I now know that like everything in life it is just down to getting your attitude right

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 01, 2008, 03:33:46 PM »

'Thin people are dieting all the time'

LOLOLOLOL....

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 01, 2008, 03:52:46 PM »

try the stress diet it is the nuts way of losing weight,ive shed 9lbs so far ..
Snatiramas
Loving London

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 01, 2008, 04:09:33 PM »

Keep your head up mate. I know it is tough right now.....

cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 01, 2008, 10:23:38 PM »

Keep your head up mate. I know it is tough right now.....

no worries phil, the weight on my shoulders keeps my head well up.
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 01, 2008, 11:59:56 PM »

No bagles to celebrate your Sky Open third tonight please. I lost about a stone when my AQ was cracked by the Q9 of an inferior player. FFS
Same old nonsense...

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Snatiramas
Loving London

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 02, 2008, 09:00:23 AM »

No bagles to celebrate your Sky Open third tonight please. I lost about a stone when my AQ was cracked by the Q9 of an inferior player. FFS
Same old nonsense...

A fun night was had by all........especially me. The legend continues coming back from 4000 chips with blinds 10k 20k

cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 02, 2008, 01:13:46 PM »

lol i enjoyed it  the q9 was class

n1 phil

ul chompy
Snatiramas
Loving London

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 05, 2008, 12:14:18 AM »

So where were we? Ah yes I was coming to the end of my first two weeks of training. Clive was about to go back to Cornwall and I was taking over my patch for the first time on my own. My fears about being able to do the job or learn the various parts of the call were fading fast. I was a proud wearer of the Guinness tie which was uniform by the way. So much so that we always wore it when in the field, even at England matches, but I think we will cover off football and black beer next week.

No today I want to cover off the Guinness conference. Now the conference was always a major event. We would have a big presentation followed by being split into Northern and Southern region at which point there would be a large sit down dinner. The only problem with the large sit down dinner was that it was free bar and the following day was followed by a regional meeting that had to be attended. Work hard, play hard and all that.

So I go off to my first ever Guinness conference. The job is going  well and I am hitting my numbers. The main event is being held in Birmingham and after the regulation brain washing session by senior management showing where we are going, and how we are doing, there follows one of the funniest guest acts that I ever saw at any business function. Guinness brew Kaliber. Kaliber were sponsoring the whose line is it anyway roadshow and they were all there. I laughed………..a lot. I am still madly in love with Josie Lawrence. There is just something about intelligent women that sends me all weak at the knees. By the way quite the worst piece of judgement at a conference happened at a Burton’s conference. The room was full of young men and who come on as the star turn but none other than the Beverley Sisters….what on earth were they thinking of when they booked them. The whole South East region got up and walked out.

The main presentation ends and the north and south need to make their way to their respective hotels. The north head to the Belfry and the south go to Chateau Impney. Now I knew lots of back doubles out of Birmingham and I got to the Hotel early.

I let the concierge take my suitcase, well hold all, and show me my room. “This is the cupboard sir, in here is the bathroom and you have a lovely view out over the grounds”, I tip him thinking I could get used to this as I look out over my twin double bedded bedroom. I unpack which takes all of thirty five seconds, I start running a bath at full steam, I turn on the TV full blast so that I can hear the sports news over the bath. Priorities…..priorities. I get undressed and I do mean fully undressed, and run a sink of water so that I can shave and with white lather all over my face the concierge sticks his head back round the door and says “and this is your bathroom sir”. At which point a colleague of mine Leo comes into the bathroom. Well I am in the altogether’s and the towels are on the far side of the concierge and Leo so I just turn smile at Leo and say “well I wasn’t expecting that”. I might have had some clothes on if I had been warned that we were sharing rooms but nobody had warned me. Poor Leo could never quite look me in the eye again, strangely it didn’t bother me that much.

So shaved, clean and suited Leo and I go to join the rest of the region. There is rather a lot of the black stuff being drunk. In fact the only people drinking lager are women. My first conference and I stayed up all night and drank somewhere in the region of fourteen pints. Bloody hell a paddling pool full of Guinness. Not only that but I am supposed to stay awake all day, contribute fully oh and then drive home tired and drunk. I get through the day without falling asleep but phone Anne Marie and book myself into a Travel Inn overnight.

Now this acquiring of a taste for Guinness does not come naturally for most people. It is after all a very bitter drink. At this time, the Guinness in the UK was brewed at Park Royal. Park Royal was an amazing brewery. It was set up on a slope so that originally the raw materials went in at one end of the brewing process and Guinness came out the other and the whole process was powered by gravity. There were also cows at Park Royal which meant the land was still charged at agricultural rates.

Now  even during my rugby playing days I had avoided Guinness. Newcastle Brown was my poison of choice and failing that a strong lager. After leaving school I always found a couple of Newcies before the match  would wipe away the possibility of any pain. Now in my first two weeks at Guinness I realised or rather Clive taught me that the best time to do a taste test was first thing in the morning. What you did was line up six bottles of Guinness Original. Check their labels. Make sure they are in date and then dear reader open one of the bottles and taste it. Now this was okay for Guinness Original but let me tell you the first time I did it with Kaliber the fridge had been off for some reason. One of the top ten worst sensations in the world, drinking warm Kaliber at 9 am in the morning. It is similar to that moment when you are about to hit something in your car and you realise just before it is going to happen, but you know there is nothing you can do about it.

Now some time ago I talked about new improved recipe. New improved recipe hit me when I was at Guinness. They changed Guinness Original. Commercially they probably had to as it was a live beer in the bottle but let me tell you in hardcore Guinness land which was where I was working, I took bucket loads of stick. You see live beer lasts about 28 days in the bottle as it continues to ferment. To make it last longer Guinness decided give the product extra longevity by pasteurising it. Well this was the new improved recipe except it wasn’t. It changed the flavour considerably. In fact it was a paradigm shift in downward selling. This classic was only surpassed by Holsten Pils “Good but not that good” campaign. People took the message and decided that if it wasn’t that good then they weren’t going to drink it. Killed the brand faster than filling the bottles full of weed killer

Now temperature had to be tested in all calls.  What you did was run off half a pint and stick your thermometer into it. Now beer used to be ambient and then coolers came in because people prefer chilled drinks. Brewers like chilled products because ladies and gentlemen you can drink more. Guinness worked out that lowering the temperature from between 12 to 14oC to something between 6 and 8 meant that your average hardened session drinker could drink three pints more in a session. Please be under no illusion, drink aware campaigns do not stop the fact that the job of a brewery is to sell beer, end of story.

Back to the old thermometer then. Well first call of the day the temperature would always be high as the beer would have been in the pipe overnight. If the temperature was over 8 to 10 degrees you had to check the cooling. Now a lot of the time the coolers were great big things near the cellar that had multiple beer lines going through them,. If the Guinness pipe was going through this cooler then no problem. If the pipe misses this cooler then we had to get it connected if there was a spare input/output line. If not we had to sell additional under the bar cooling. This was surprisingly easy once you showed the amount of extra profit that cold be earned from lowering the temperature and that there was no cost to the publican. Sold in lots of coolers to pubs. Sold in lots of Kaliber. Lots of Kronenbourg 1664 and even a little Harp.

So next week, we will discover what becomes of Clive, football and Guinness and maybe a few stories from some of the pubs and areas………have to be careful though as I wouldn’t want to upset anybody and nothing does that faster than describing their home area as a turd infestation.

So to fat club. I am hitting the wall my dear friends. We are at twenty miles into this marathon and I am fed up, bored, looking for excuses to cheat. I mean let’s be honest I have come so far. This in itself is a victory. Then the other side of my brain takes over and tells me to take control and see this thing through to the finish. It may take longer but I will not stop this process now or in the future. I may deviate off the straight and narrow but I will always come back quickly to the straight and narrow. I am not going back to twenty two stone. I like the fact that I can move around, use the seatbelt on an airplane and choose clothes rather than just accept that there is a website where I can get a shirt, or my suits have to be made to measure. Was it my fault that I became so big. Only in so much as I did not want to address other issues in my life that were driving me there. The politicians and popular thinists are wrong. Big people are not lazy and people in my office are now aware how sizeist modern society has become.

Hazel O’Connor’s haunting rendition of    Will You is cascading into my whole being as I drive to fat club, funny how I always turn to a bit of sax playing when I am troubled. I go up the stairs and in honesty three weeks is too long without the comfort of the group. Onto the scales and ladies and today I weigh    17 stone 7 pounds a total loss of  67 pounds. Honestly I cannot believe how far I have come or how much fortitude I have discovered. Life changing is really hard, really really hard. Even when I reach a weight I will be happy with it is only the beginning or rather moving from the marathon to the triathlon…………but the rewards are great…..believe me.

Dewi_cool

Dusk Till Dawn - It's like going home

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 05, 2008, 12:21:02 AM »

bendigedig

The very last hand of the night goes to Dewi James, who finds ACES and talks Raymond O’Mahoney into calling his all-in preflop bet of 15k.  “If I had AQ, I’d call!” says Dewi.  Raymond calls holding pocket 66’s.

Snatiramas
Loving London

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 05, 2008, 06:30:12 AM »

bendigedig

Indeed Sir..............though I did have to look it up..........this site is such an excellent education

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 05, 2008, 11:07:38 AM »

Yet another great post Phil, and well done last night too.

As for the diet, well it's simply astounding.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 ... 36 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: