blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:49:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  An experiement with aces - any suggestions?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: An experiement with aces - any suggestions?  (Read 1168 times)
FuglyBaz

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2008, 04:34:54 PM »

Had a weird situation in a $0.25/$0.50 hand on Paciific Poker. Weird in that I was in small blind with Aces, yet everybody folded through to me! I thought to myself I'm going to play this through a little differently. And I'm looking for some comments on the play. Whether in principle or not it seems okay or whatever else u may want to add.

What I'll do is explain the action and my thoughts as I go through.

My (SB) stack - $52.83
Villains (BB) stack - $90.84

So action folds to me. If I raise to between $1.50 and $1.75 I reckon the villain will fold as he is quite solid, but capable of mixing it up. So I thought limping would be the best play.

Villain raises to $1.50, Hero re-raises to $6.50, Villain calls (Pot now $12.35)

My thinking here was to confuse him. I have played very straight forward up to this point and already showed down solid hands. I was hoping that my massive reraise would be seen as a bluff so he would re-shove.

Flop came down

I push all in for $46.83 more. My thinking here is this - because I've played so solid up to this point will it come across as a big bluff or having a monster?? At the time I felt that I could get him to call all his chips because I had shown big hands down already played straight forward from a range of TPTK, sets and a flush.

Just looking for opinions really. Is this a play that could be +EV against giant stacks as in this case? Or you would you suggest just playing the more straight forward way of raising to around $1.75, and hope he calls?

Thanks
Baz
Dewi_cool

Dusk Till Dawn - It's like going home

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 04:38:46 PM »

I thought you were going to say, you folded pre flop Wink

The very last hand of the night goes to Dewi James, who finds ACES and talks Raymond O’Mahoney into calling his all-in preflop bet of 15k.  “If I had AQ, I’d call!” says Dewi.  Raymond calls holding pocket 66’s.

bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 08:19:55 PM »

you should not be playing hands "a little differently" at these levels, ABC will suffice, you risk making hands unnecessarily difficult for yourself or even, as you've done here, completely mangling a hand.

I'm 90% sure this is a serious post but 10% of me thinks it's a wind up but I'm going out soon and have started to post now so will carry on Roll Eyes

Is this a play that could be +EV against giant stacks

really?

NO, NEVER!!!!!!

you say this guy is "quite solid", well quite sold players who are building up rolls at these levels fold AK here 100% of the time(they should be anyway) so you are only getting called by a hand that beats you!

would you suggest just playing the more straight forward way of raising to around $1.75, and hope he calls

nope, i'd raise to $1.75 and not give a shit if he called.

I've played solid up to this point

my thinking here(reraising him pre flop)was to confuse him

no confusion about it, you've let him know what you hand is

If you planned on playing the hand properly then the re-raise pre is standard once you've limped but if you are going to do something ridiculous like shove $46 into a $12 pot with one pair then at least give yourself half a chance and flat call pre to disguise your hand.(not that it really matters, it's all so horrible).

This play is -EV, end of

« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 08:25:47 PM by bolt pp » Logged
FuglyBaz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 12:03:37 AM »

That settles it then. Its the first time I'd tried something like this...and will be the last.

I think being worried of not getting a call threw my whole perceptions. I'll be honest I never had aces in the small blind where the pots remained unopened before. Going through the last couple of months of HH's anyway.
WellChief

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 02:40:49 AM »

Just play at least 3 tables at a time and you'll get enough decent hands not to worry about getting paid off with your aces. 
FuglyBaz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 09:53:25 AM »

Just play at least 3 tables at a time and you'll get enough decent hands not to worry about getting paid off with your aces. 

If was playing pokerstars I'd multitable, but it isn't easy to do on Pacific. Might try later on some Two Clubs/4c tables just to get used to it. I'd rather have all three tables in view at once rather than keep clicking to see different ones.
Dewi_cool

Dusk Till Dawn - It's like going home

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 10:28:03 AM »

fold pre flop

The very last hand of the night goes to Dewi James, who finds ACES and talks Raymond O’Mahoney into calling his all-in preflop bet of 15k.  “If I had AQ, I’d call!” says Dewi.  Raymond calls holding pocket 66’s.

FuglyBaz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 10:51:15 AM »

fold pre flop

pmsl Cheesy
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 04:38:51 PM »

If you are first into the pot in a cash game just raise, no point playing differently, especially at these lower levels.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: