blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:56:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Do you really need to play more hands in 6-max than FR NLHE/PLO
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you really need to play more hands in 6-max than FR NLHE/PLO  (Read 1839 times)
FuglyBaz

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2008, 06:24:41 PM »

Thread inspired by this certain hand analysis post - http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=34610.0 One question from me led to another so thought I'd start a new thread.

The main question is in the title really. Certain players like Ed Miller say you do not have to play any more hands in 6-max than you do in FR. So I'm looking for your opinions on this. Boldie has said his piece in the other thread but I'll quote here:-

Sorry didn't see this question a little while ago.

Omaha (in my humble opinion) is a game that should be lose, fast action and plenty pots...full ring takes this away. If you go onto the blonde site right now (I'm using that as an example as that's what I'm logged into at the moment) you will see the average potsize on the full ring is as big as it is on the 6 handed.
Full ring the action is slow and people only play the nuts (or what they consider to be the nuts). I want people doing stupid things..and doing them a lot..you get that more 6 handed as people have to play more hands

Perhaps this is worthy of a thread of its own, but do you really have to play that many more hands in 6-max as opposed to FR? On another forum I used to visit Ed Miller was a guest there, and he mentioned at least once that he doesn't believe you need to play any more or any less at 6-max than you do at FR. Obviously we're discussing hold'em and not Omaha but surely the same principle will apply?

For me as a person I know I would struggle with the massive swings that you get in 6-max Omaha if I played at the same level buyin as at FR so FR is probably better suited at this moment in time.

Cheers for the reply.

I am pretty Lag (but don't tell anyone) in Omaha compared to others, so for me the question is not "do I play more hands six handed" for me the question is "Can I get others to play more hands" this is much easier 6 handed than it is FR as the 5 others on a table would be telling themselves "This guy is raising an awful lot, but you're only supposed to raise AAxx preflop in Omaha, aren't you?" and "He can't have Aces every time he raises so let's see some flops and see if I can hit them". This gives you a tremendous edge over those guys...the annoyance factor coupled with there being less cards actively in players hands (less players means less cards) means people are willing to take more risk..especially in Omaha which soo many people (including me obviously as I'm nowhere near a pro) play soo poorly. They play it like 4 card Hold Em...which is pretty much a sure fire way to losing all your cash.

I am not sure I put the above as well as I could have, I hope the general idea of it comes across though.

If Floppy, who is a pretty decent PLO player, (or anyone else for that matter) comes back I hope he can give an insight into this as I'm not the best at explaining this sort of stuff.

If anyone agrees with Boldie but can give more insight that'd be great. I myself find that I tend to agree with Ed Miller, althought I felt his style could be predictable. Mind you it is probably effective at $1/$2 as he's made his profit from playing those sort of games.
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 08:25:11 PM »

Personally when playing PLO I see loads more flops 6 handed than I would dream of seeing FR.  And I am Super LAG when it comes to PLO.  I think because we see the blinds almost twice as regularly 6 handed you can't sit around as long and wait to strike a massive hand you have to become more creative, and i think you tend in generals to see many more players play LAG 6 handed than tey do FR and you have to at times play back with junk so they don't get to liberal by potting and re-potting. 

So for me yes, I think you do have to play more hands 6-handed.

byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 10:15:35 PM »

you get the occasional 30/27 winning player at 6 max NL but that is pretty much impossible to do at FR. so it's not so much a case of you have to but that you can do (if you're good enough)

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 10:24:44 PM by byronkincaid » Logged
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 10:22:11 PM »

This is quoted from Ben Grundys blog-
" Think my main surprise about my PL Omaha stats is that i saw only 80% of flops over 115,000 hands. Thought it would be more like 90% :-)"
And he is prob one of the biggest online plo winners in the uk.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 10:23:42 PM by Tractor » Logged

Can i please ask where most of you purchase your crack from?

Dapper Street Menswear
cambo

back to the tic cave son

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 11:06:25 PM »

ive just started playing PLO 6 max and the level i play upto $50/1 the play is so bad , i think ur edge in these games comes from playing very agro in position and being able to play flops better than them so yes playing lots and lots hands is key,  the last 2 weeks ive been playing maiinly 25/50cent, loads times ive been up 9/10 buyins  obv had a couple of nights where ive lost a few, the most ive seen anyone else have on crypto is like 3-4 max, the  only time and mean ONLY time you ever get re potted is when someone has aaxx so if youve raised a hand like i dunno 5678 and call youve a massive chance of stacking them cos they just cant let go, you could sit like a total nit all night but what would be the point in that someone else is just taking all that money

bring back Fergus! and the bandit! free the glasgow 2!
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 12:45:52 AM »

This is quoted from Ben Grundys blog-
" Think my main surprise about my PL Omaha stats is that i saw only 80% of flops over 115,000 hands. Thought it would be more like 90% :-)"
And he is prob one of the biggest online plo winners in the uk.

I think this is hu 3 handed mostly.
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 09:28:49 PM »

Sure you don't have to play more hands at 6 handed than at FR but you are crushing your win rate and probably won't do too well above $1/$2.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
pokefast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 01:35:19 PM »

I don't think you have to play more hands in 6max than in fr.

Provided when you do play you are aggressive.

Personally i play what i would consider to be quite tight ( by today's current standards ) at plo 6max and have played all stakes between 1c/2c and $10/$20.

I don't believe you can go onto a table with a preconceived idea that " i'm going to play lots of hands today " until you have sussed out the table.

If you are disciplined and know how to read texture of boards and opponents then you should be happy to play against loosey gooses all day long.

I am.

When you say more hands what kind of percentages for 6max and full ring?

Jon Woodfield is the cleverist man in Europe!
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 02:20:28 PM »

You are just giving up EV not playing more hands, you pay the blinds over 10% more in 6 max therefore you have to compensate for that somehow, playing more hands seems to be simple common sense to me.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 02:50:51 PM »

Your decision to play a hand is a combination of factors including previous action and position.  As you are on the button 50% more in 6max compared to 9 handed and you will have no action to you more frequently, it seems to be logical that you would play a higher % of hands dealt to you in 6 max.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 12:48:35 AM »

Personally i play what i would consider to be quite tight ( by today's current standards ) at plo 6max and have played all stakes between 1c/2c and $10/$20.

I don't believe you can go onto a table with a preconceived idea that " i'm going to play lots of hands today " until you have sussed out the table.

If you are disciplined and know how to read texture of boards and opponents then you should be happy to play against loosey gooses all day long.

I am.

how the hell do you get action on your big hands and isolate the donkeys all to yourself?
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 12:59:37 AM »

I am.

how the hell do you get action on your big hands and isolate the donkeys all to yourself?

Erm he doesn't.
pokefast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 10:51:54 AM »

I am.

Because i only operate this style at certain tables.

I have a huge database of players at all levels who like to gamble ( rocks do not interest me in PLO )

Finding action in PLO is easy.

Isolation is easy also provided you are sitting with the right players.

You'll be suprised even playing a tight game how often the LAG's will pay off.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 10:57:08 AM by pokefast » Logged

Jon Woodfield is the cleverist man in Europe!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: