blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:56:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 243 244 [245] 246 247 248 249 ... 255 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***  (Read 617575 times)
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3660 on: August 22, 2019, 01:01:33 PM »

Good Boys is just very funny.

The script perhaps better than the acting but that doesn't get in the way.

Like Superbad for kids. 9/10.

Did you drop a Molly before you went to see this?
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: August 24, 2019, 12:13:59 AM »

:-)

Guess I'm flying solo with this one!

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: August 27, 2019, 05:26:23 PM »

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

At the risk of flying solo (nice one Chompy) on this, I absolutely loved it. The film flew by for me, but then I was trying to look at every square inch of the screen for QT film references from the period. There were lots, and if, like me, you spent a very large chunk of your youth watching the films that came out of Hollywood (and Italy & Spain) in this period, you’ll have seen a lot to enjoy and indeed laugh at.

The Bruce Lee scene was superb, for example. Interesting to see QT’s take on the up & coming Kung fu hero. Very funny imo.

Don’t want to bore people to death, nor insert any plot spoilers (it’s a travesty to say nothing happens in the first 2 hours - it’s all about developing the characters and building to the climax), so I’ll just say that if you love film for film’s sake, it’s well worth the time.

For me, it’s a massive return to form for Tarantino. If I had to criticize anything, it would be a couple of scenes involving Sharon Tate - esp her trip to the movies - but I can certainly understand why the likes of Pitt and Di Caprio love to be in his films.

9/10
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: August 27, 2019, 11:28:26 PM »

Will be watching again at some point this week, too good to only watch once. Margot and Brad both excellent, Leo probably getting another Oscar.

Crawl is meh. It starts ok but get pretty stupid pretty quickly in the last 30.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: August 27, 2019, 11:39:04 PM »

Will be watching again at some point this week, too good to only watch once. Margot and Brad both excellent, Leo probably getting another Oscar.

SPOILER ALERT

tbh I was glad that he didn’t go for a simple recreation of actual events, which is where he seemed to be leading us - until one of the girls took off in the car... I agree, though, that the last 20 minutes were the weakest.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3665 on: August 28, 2019, 12:27:54 AM »

SPOILER ALERT

tbh I was glad that he didn’t go for a simple recreation of actual events, which is where he seemed to be leading us - until one of the girls took off in the car... I agree, though, that the last 20 minutes were the weakest.

I haven't read your post because I saw the spoiler warning. Thanks for not letting me blunder in.

The older I get, the better I was.
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: August 28, 2019, 08:38:58 AM »

That's the last 30minues of Crawl, not Quentin's ninth masterpiece.

4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: August 28, 2019, 06:51:59 PM »

Oops, my mistake

Not sure all his films are masterpieces, though. Wasn’t keen on either of the Kill Bills: perhaps a bit too niche for me.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: September 08, 2019, 10:02:28 PM »

In two minds about It Chapter 2.

It is too long. 2 hours and fifty minutes is a long time.

It suffers as following a group of kids getting scared is way more interesting than following a group of adults. The kid actors are great too so all the flashback scenes are A+.

I generally liked the new cast albeit with a few bland performances. Pennywise is obv the star of the show.

It doesn't come together very easily as we spend a lot of time with individual characters rather than as a group.

That being said, it does well at being scary and more than just jump scares. I like the overall tone and I wasn't bored. It's a solid 7/10. Not as tight as the first film but perfectly fine.

Really looking forward to Joker. Trailer gave me the chills and it's getting critical acclaim.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3669 on: September 08, 2019, 10:33:14 PM »

It.
shIt.

The older I get, the better I was.
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: September 08, 2019, 11:14:51 PM »

In two minds about It Chapter 2.

It is too long. 2 hours and fifty minutes is a long time.

It suffers as following a group of kids getting scared is way more interesting than following a group of adults. The kid actors are great too so all the flashback scenes are A+.

I generally liked the new cast albeit with a few bland performances. Pennywise is obv the star of the show.

It doesn't come together very easily as we spend a lot of time with individual characters rather than as a group.

That being said, it does well at being scary and more than just jump scares. I like the overall tone and I wasn't bored. It's a solid 7/10. Not as tight as the first film but perfectly fine.

Really looking forward to Joker. Trailer gave me the chills and it's getting critical acclaim.

that film had no right to be as long as it was. the scares were all rehashes of what happened in the first film - oh here is a face, now cut back and show it with sharp teeth. there were some inventive plays on the horror theme with the old woman in the background of the house, but that built up to a slap stick scare that was funny rather than chilling. the cute dog was cool, till the inevitable.

i found it painful to sit through. there's a couple of points in the film where you realise they are going to have 5-10min scenes for each character going though similar experiences [phone calls and artifacts] and it's sooo fucking dull and tedious getting us to where we want to be.

the black character is a rehash of the caretaker in candyman and is there for exposition only, the final showdown is a rehash of the showdown of the first chapter, but now with added ceremony of juju shallow mysticism.

the comedy is flat, the comedian annoying, i mean he is more tedious than chandler from friends. the guy who is anal about hygiene gets the most ridiculous final line.

the film is 1 part american pie humor, 1 part cool effects with about 1.30 hour of superfluos and dull scenes interspersed. some scenes are just redo's of the first chapter only with bad acting by adults.

the bulliy from the first film adds bad acting, unitentional humour and another 25minutes of plodding nothingness.

i thought it obnoxiously bad.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 11:16:44 PM by teddybloat » Logged
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: September 10, 2019, 12:36:18 AM »

Angel Has Fallen

I had a lot of funny one-liners to reel off, but I plumped for just this one:
What a load of recycled shit...
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: September 10, 2019, 02:28:43 PM »

Crawl wasnt too bad actually.. nice and tight mercifully short compared to the latest 3 hour epics. Effects are pretty neat and the Aligators are well done and a real sense of menace was present. A large dollup of suspension of disbelief is required but then a film about killer gators its probably a pre-requisite. Tarintino its not but for a 90 minute of edge of seat monster frights it pretty much ticked the boxes

7/10 fajitas

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: September 24, 2019, 06:25:25 PM »

Hustlers

Jeez, I was expecting something infinitely better based on skimming a few reviews and 88% rotten tomatoes. More tripe, I’m afraid. But seedy, un-sexy tripe.

Think an extremely poor version of Molly’s Game, but lap-dancing instead of the game that we love. Seems a terrible waste of J-Lo’s acting talent.

2.5/10
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: October 05, 2019, 09:00:27 PM »

Joker

Well I’m glad to report Fajita Friday was fully instated last night alongside a Nacho sharer and coke.

To be honest I didn’t really know much about this film going in. I had read snippets of news and I think I caught one of the trailers but I do recall having that sinking feeling when you hear that there’s a new take on a well worn franchise.

The Batman universe with his outings against his arch villain are multiple and well trodden, could this origin story really bring something new?

We start with Gotham pre Bruce Wayne and in trouble. The city is in chaos, unemployment is high rubbish fills the streets and the whole place is a powder keg just waiting to go up.

Our protagonist Arthur Fleck is a troubled soul, living with his mother and scraping out a living as a party clown with dreams of making it big in the world of stand up comedy. As our story unfolds it shows Arthurs slow descent from a fractured mind into demented madness.

For a large part of the film we can have empathy for Arthur. Through no fault of his own he has a condition that causes uncontrollable laughter when he is anxious, and his mind is always filled with darkness. Bullied and picked on constantly by the world around him Arthurs life changes dramatically as a series of events propels him along a path filled with anger, pain and violence. This leads to the spark that ignites a city wide rebellion that takes us twisting along a timeline that finally intersects with the well played out scenario that is Bruce Wayne’s parent’s death.

The first thing that struck me was Joaquin Phoenix. The physical transformation is startling and a little unnerving. This is the actor that played the emperor in Gladiator. Gone is the fulsome youthful face and healthy body and is replaced by a gaunt harrowed look alongside an almost bulimic form. Stick thin arms twist and contort unnaturally and are attached to a torso of bones that stick out at odd angles. The man is completely unrecognisable.

He is assisted well by De Niro as a talk show host who is Arthurs hero.

Phoenix performance is top draw.. It would have been so easy to drift into caricature and overacting, but his portrayal is both memorable and eerie. The execution of the part is incredible right across the spectrum from the sad damaged little man all the way to terrifying sociopath.

On occasion I genuinely felt as uncomfortable as the people around Arthur as they witnessed his increasingly bizarre behaviour. You felt right there with them witnessing someone that you felt could just suddenly explode.

The mood of the film is intense and dark, accompanied often by a deep cello bass score that intensifies the bleakness of the city and the situation. The violence is sporadic but visceral and hard hitting. You can almost feel it shudder through you and it has real impact.

As Arthur’s transformation into the Joker completes there are a couple of scenes very reminiscent of Heath Ledgers performance, especially in the visual department. One scene in particular comes to mind of him riding in the back of a car face against the window, empty eyes staring out at the passing lights of the city.. Fantastic!

It would have been very easy to fall into ‘just another Batman film ‘ trap here, I’m glad they didn’t and managed to make it stand on its own merits. The film is already showing signs of being a huge success and a follow up seem inevitable, if they do I hope they can maintain the tone and quality of this vision so it can carve its own path through the DC universe. If they can it will be quite something

Overall, very good.. A tad slow in places but it is required for the descent of Arthur and the rise of the Joker to be fully realised.. Phoenix is outstanding.. see it, feel it..raw and dark.

8/10 Fajita’s

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 243 244 [245] 246 247 248 249 ... 255 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: