blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:23:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272480 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 252 253 [254] 255 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***  (Read 617739 times)
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3795 on: October 06, 2021, 06:47:53 PM »

Interesting to read that the Sopranos series fans were disappointed with Many Saints...

As someone who hasn’t seen a single episode of the series, but who really enjoys the genre, I must say that it was largely enjoyable. Perhaps I’m easily pleased, but I enjoy seeing the recreation of the previous eras. I think they did a decent job of the mid-sixties in this film.

I would definitely agree that Tony Soprano was very much a bit-part in this film, so agree that it was oversold on the basis of detailing his childhood and ascent into the mobster life. To that extent, I understand your ire as Sopranos fans. Setting that aside, though, I thoroughly enjoyed the meandering plot lines, and most of the characterisations. It wouldn’t surprise me if Ray Liotta was nominated for best supporting actor in the various gong-shows. Glancing at Wiki I believe the script was subject to some criticism, but it was good enough for me.

So, if what you expect from a New Jersey mobster flic are some psychotic anti-heroes engaging in dangerous liaisons, casual murder and double-crossing, set in some lovingly reconstructed 1960s settings, then this film won’t disappoint. Given that young Tony is still a young lad at the end of this film, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see Sopranos sequel Part II in the near future. In the meantime, I think I might just go and see it again and seek out the Sopranos on streaming services.....

Watch the Sopranos..it is must watch

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: October 06, 2021, 10:34:23 PM »

Really hated the series and the way the story was told. In an interesting and kind of scary note, (without trying to give spoliers) the internet cafe in Berlin featured towards the end is around the corner from my flat.

I know I'm probably a bit late here but I watched the 3 part Doc series 'Don't Fuck with cats' on Netflix the other day and I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before.

For anyone that hasn't seen this it's a true story that starts out as internet uproar when someone posts a video online where he kills two cats. What is so good about what follows is it is like watching a whodunnit movie but where regular people use their own time trying to find the culprit clue by clue. It then moves on just like a movie script and just gets darker and darker and I'm even adding an extra and darker too.

**It's not really about cat's even tho it starts that way and although some of the footage is a little upsetting they don't show the worst parts of the videos.

4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: October 20, 2021, 12:15:08 AM »

The Last Duel

The only explanation for this muddled film is that they were all having so much fun making it that they all failed to notice that it’s a pauper’s Rashomon. Okay, it’s based on a book on the subject, but it weighs in at over 2 and a half hours long, and a significant amount was simply exact repetition. There are better ways of portraying alternative versions of fact than this without having to borrow clumsily from Kurosawa. 30 minutes could easily have been shaved off this film and not been missed.

On the positives, Ridley Scott is a master of battle set-pieces, and there were enough action scenes to please. The final fight was probably the best man-to-man combat sequence since, err, Gladiator. Worth the price of admission on its own. Adam Driver takes the acting honours playing the cad, with Ben Affleck and Matt Damon hopelessly miscast. Jodie Comer is a fine actor, but she needs help in selecting better film roles if she wants a career with longevity.

Maybe I’m being overly critical, but it tells me something when I find myself looking at my watch halfway through. I’ll give it cinq.
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: October 20, 2021, 08:45:30 AM »

Largely agree with that, Jodie and the closing fight scene just aboout save it. Better that than Bond though.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3799 on: October 20, 2021, 12:11:01 PM »

Really hated the series and the way the story was told. In an interesting and kind of scary note, (without trying to give spoliers) the internet cafe in Berlin featured towards the end is around the corner from my flat.

I know I'm probably a bit late here but I watched the 3 part Doc series 'Don't Fuck with cats' on Netflix the other day and I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before.

For anyone that hasn't seen this it's a true story that starts out as internet uproar when someone posts a video online where he kills two cats. What is so good about what follows is it is like watching a whodunnit movie but where regular people use their own time trying to find the culprit clue by clue. It then moves on just like a movie script and just gets darker and darker and I'm even adding an extra and darker too.

**It's not really about cat's even tho it starts that way and although some of the footage is a little upsetting they don't show the worst parts of the videos.

It is an incredible story but I agree - the way the documentary is made is dreadful the way they string things out. One episode ends with us (the audience) finding out something new and interesting and then the whole of the next episode is us slowly watching the police find out the same info.
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: October 20, 2021, 02:32:30 PM »

Off to see Dune Friday..

Massive fan of the book... keeping everything crossed they make a good fist of it

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: October 21, 2021, 09:23:33 AM »

Amazing!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 09:27:58 AM by Chompy » Logged

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: October 24, 2021, 05:50:48 PM »

DUNE

Dune day has finally arrived..its been a while coming and I along with many others have been counting the days. I read the Frank Herbert opus as a young man. A great heaving volume bound in heavy red leather and numbering in excess of 800 pages. I remember it being heavy going, epic in proportion with layers of hard sci-fi,mysticism and religion.

Translating this to the big screen is a huge undertaking. They tried in 1984 with a messy adaptation that tried to fit the whole book into one film.Despite its many failings I liked the film,and still do but it did leave the door open for someone with a vision as great as the work itself.
Step forward Denis Villeneuve a director with a natural instinct for the visually spectacular.Dune is exactly this, beautiful to look at,a true masterpiece of cinematography. Like Blade Runner 2049 (also by Villeneuve) it conveys the epic proportions of the story from the endless swathes of desert waste to the monstrous space ships that hover along the horizon.

A good start is that they have split the book into two film parts, this being part one. The only downside is that part two hasn't been green lighted and that would be a travesty if they left it hanging like this. The two parts are necessary though. To cram like the original film would have left too much out.

So to the actual film.. ok so it looks incredible, although there were a few scenes where it was so dark I thought the projector had broke and I was just staring at a blank screen. Another huge plus is the sound and music, at various points even the cinemas exceptional sound system was struggling to handle the bassy reverbs of music and landing ships alike.

The film keeps to the book pretty well as we explore the great houses of the imperium and all the double dealing and political intrigue/backstabbing that goes on within them. The desert planet Arrakis is the only place in the universe that holds deposits of the spice used by the mysterious navigators to enable safe interstellar spaceflight.Therefore making it the most valuable commodity there is. The House Atrides is instructed by the Emperor to take over the running and mining of the spice from the resident bad guys, the Harkonnens. However it is all part of a plot for the Emperor to allign with the Harkonnes to attack and destroy the House Atreides. Thats the basics and throw in the shadowy religious Bene Gesserit sect who seem to possess some kind of mind powers along with their dark plans and the indigenous Fremen, you have a vast and complicated set of story lines.

The cast is excellent, all top of their game and the young Timothee Chalamet comes across excellent as the young Paul Atriedes, slight of stature but tough and deadly in equal proportion.

The effects too are incredible, the 'Thopters ( insect like helicopters) are the pick.

Due to its depth and complexities, and the fact its trying to stay faithful to the book the film to some may seem ponderous as we flesh out in movie time the various groups and characters. The film is over two and a half hours long and in this society of low attention span many may think it boring. I think a knowledge of the book is a distinct advantage as the uninitiated maybe be confused by all the complexities. Yes there are mutliple injections of action but these are spaced out by story building and dialogue.

Its a tough ask bringing this to the screen and to expect the average moonhead to keep with it before reaching for their phone in frustration to check that latest instagram post from some numbskull that seems to influence their daily life. I for one thoroughly enjoyed it, I knew what to expect though and I was as enthralled and excited as I was all those years ago as I ploughed through Herberts pages my mind filled with epic scale Sci-fi skullduggery.

Dune is not for everyone, lots will says its slow and boring but these are the same people that laugh at videos of people tripping over.Its a cerebral piece, beautiful to look at and as a deep as an ocean.

To the avergage viewer with little knowledge of the text it is based on its probably a 5/10

To me its an 8/10

A fillet mignon amongst the Hamburgers

teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: October 24, 2021, 08:08:16 PM »

thanks for the review.

was on the fence about investing the time into a two part scifi epic. and i'm someone unfamiliar with the duniverse, and the trailer looked drawn out tbh haha

but it looks like something i'd enjoy and i am looking forward to it, cheers
bagel
bagel

View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: October 31, 2021, 09:58:52 PM »

just rewatched groundhog day for the first time in a while

still boring as fuck
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3805 on: October 31, 2021, 10:06:30 PM »

Groundhog Day is in my top 10.

The older I get, the better I was.
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: January 23, 2022, 05:58:36 PM »

Nightmare Alley

Guillermo del Toro has a fabulous eye for the weird and wonderful. He’s found a great project to merge his penchant for the weird, with a more commercial plotline to attract a really good cast all the way through to the supporting characters and cameos. Cate Blanchett does a great Lauren Bacall-style vamp (it’s set in the early 40’s after all), Willem Dafoe is the perfect carnival boss, while Richard Jenkins does a pretty good version of nasty fucker. Bradley might not be your idea of the current De Niro or Pacino, but he’s acquired the knack of finding perfect roles to extend his repertoire. Just a shame that the costume department decided to dress him like Indiana Jones.... or was that intentional?

Did I mention that it’s set in the 40’s? Beautifully captured, based on films of that era for my points of reference. Maybe tikay could give a first hand reference?

Right up my alley, it’s 8.5/10 for me
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: January 23, 2022, 07:58:57 PM »

I watched the first two Alien films recently. Never seen them before because I just assumed they were like the later ones which I thought were quite average. Man. They were both amazing, so much claustrophobic tension and each by a different legendary director.
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: January 23, 2022, 11:45:45 PM »

I watched the first two Alien films recently. Never seen them before because I just assumed they were like the later ones which I thought were quite average. Man. They were both amazing, so much claustrophobic tension and each by a different legendary director.

Always nice to defer a treat. The very first Alien is an absolute classic. As you’ve discovered, it stands the test of time.
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: January 24, 2022, 04:25:21 PM »

Yup both just incredible..watched so many times..Aliens is one of my fave films ever..great combination of action/horror/sci-fi...still rememeber going to see it at the cinema

Pages: 1 ... 250 251 252 253 [254] 255 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: