blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:53:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Panorama rubbish
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Panorama rubbish  (Read 4252 times)
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2008, 01:00:39 AM »

Watching panorama now.

Its promoting the credit crunch by showing things that are completely unrelated.

A terrible pub, that struggles for customers. There struggling.

[ ] This is caused by the credit crunch

[ x ] This pub is shit

A family has no money so they rent rooms their childrens bedrooms to foriegn student students

[ x ] This is a stupid person who could never afford her own bills.

Discuss

[ ] The credit crunch is real

[ x ] The credit crunch is created by the media on behalf of the government.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Swordpoker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 01:10:40 AM »

Yeah, I saw this and wasn't very impressed. Most of the time Panorama is really good though. I think they're allowed the occasional naff episode.

They explained that their research was non-scientific. Fair enough but it was completely misleading. Folk went onto their web site and filled in a survey. Problem is....only people affected by the credit crunch would be likely to fill out their survey because it wouldn't matter much to people who weren't.

Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 01:13:23 AM »

Why would the government want the media to create the credit crunch when it's sent their popularity through the floor?

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 07:48:59 AM »

Yeah, I saw this and wasn't very impressed. Most of the time Panorama is really good though. I think they're allowed the occasional naff episode.

They explained that their research was non-scientific. Fair enough but it was completely misleading. Folk went onto their web site and filled in a survey. Problem is....only people affected by the credit crunch would be likely to fill out their survey because it wouldn't matter much to people who weren't.

Panorama has been shit for years now. It has dropped it's standards to tabloid journalism. Very rarely is it well researched, well presented and not scaremongering.

Dispatch on CH4 pwns Panorama.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 07:56:20 AM »

Yes you're right the credit crunch is a figment of the medias imagination.  Northern Rock would have run out of money anyway and all the big banks are using the opportunity to slash their profits and share prices and are drastically reducing the amount they lend because at heart they are b4astards.

ps agree that the panorama prog was shit
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 08:18:52 AM »

I assume you mean the American one where is started? before the effects moved over to the Uk.

Personally I blame the government for my tap leaking too.
lazaroonie

Your a dead man Den Watts !!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 08:30:18 AM »

i honestly dont know what to make of this whole credit crunch business. Everytime I watch the news and hear of people who are "victims" of it I find it hard to have any sympathy because inevitably there is a good reason for not lending them ridiculous amounts of money.

on the news a couple of weeks ago they showed the story of a single woman who was moaning that she couldnt get a 100% mortgage anymore. She then explained that because of having to pay £1500 in stamp duty and other bills she could not afford a deposit. A quick calc tells you she was therefore looking to borrow 150 grand, on a single wage, which was said to be about 25 grand a year. If this is the credit crunch, ie the banks starting to be more responsible lenders then is it a bad thing ?

But I do believe that the media are trying to talk the country into recession. Everyday we here innaccurate and poorly researched stories just for the puposes of telling us how much crap the economy is in.

The blog of my friend Colchester Kev
http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/
Snatiramas
Loving London

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 08:46:08 AM »

Panorama has been shit for years now. It has dropped it's standards to tabloid journalism. Very rarely is it well researched, well presented and not scaremongering.

Dispatch on CH4 pwns Panorama.

+1

The most insidious of rules are those that aren't rules at all.
They are the limitations that we invent for ourselves
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 09:03:18 AM »

Heard someone on the radio the other day from an estate agents, and they were saying that the credit crunch and the government's actions (or lack of) on the stamp duty issue and at a wider level had caused many businesses like theirs to have to close branches.

Eh?  They'd obviously expanded too much when the times were good and hadn't considered what would happen when the climate wasn't so rosy. 

They're happy to reap in the profit when the going's good, but when it gets a bit sticky they want to blame someone else...

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 09:08:54 AM »

Watching panorama now.

Its promoting the credit crunch by showing things that are completely unrelated.

A terrible pub, that struggles for customers. There struggling.

[ x ] This pub is shit

A family has no money so they rent rooms their childrens bedrooms to foriegn student students

[ x ] This is a stupid person who could never afford her own bills.

Discuss

[ ] The credit crunch is real

I proper lol'd at this.

The credit crunch is real, although talk of a recession is currently very overexaggerated. I do agree completely and will now find great humour in the idea of useless people blaming the credit crunch on the fact that they are in a hole that they would have been in anyway.

From this day on, every mistake I make, regardless of what type of mistake, is because of the credit crunch.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 09:12:37 AM »

From this day on, every mistake I make, regardless of what type of mistake, is because of the credit crunch.

I made a bad fold the other day - I'm sure that was due to the credit crunch.  Either that, or it was boldie's fault.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 09:20:45 AM »

I made a bad fold the other day - I'm sure that was due to the credit crunch.  Either that, or it was boldie's fault.

you mean you folded like you ussually do?

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 09:21:20 AM »

Yesss

Snatiramas
Loving London

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 09:25:28 AM »

Yesss

I folded once. Someone said it was because I was fat and lazy as I couldn't be bothered to pick up the chips but I knew in my heart of hearts it was the credit crunch

The most insidious of rules are those that aren't rules at all.
They are the limitations that we invent for ourselves
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 09:34:59 AM »

Heard someone on the radio the other day from an estate agents, and they were saying that the credit crunch and the government's actions (or lack of) on the stamp duty issue and at a wider level had caused many businesses like theirs to have to close branches.

Eh?  They'd obviously expanded too much when the times were good and hadn't considered what would happen when the climate wasn't so rosy. 

They're happy to reap in the profit when the going's good, but when it gets a bit sticky they want to blame someone else...

I agree, especially with companies that do not look to the future and  see the bigger picture when trade will slow down for whatever reason. I know the owner of one of Leeds top estate agents and he told me the mortgages they arranged are down 80%, sales of houses down 70%, not only have they let go alot of staff but the knock on effect goes deep, tradesman are now willing to do small jobs! that last year wouldn't get out of bed for. People are waiting to get improvements done to their houses, until the tide turns.

I don't thinks it's necessarily a bad thing people cannot borrow money as easily now, our culture of spend now pay later couldn't last forever.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: