blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:23:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Learning Centre (Moderators: Longy, JungleCat03)
| | | |-+  Live Cash Game Hand - call, fold or raise?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live Cash Game Hand - call, fold or raise?  (Read 2854 times)
davidhendrie

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2008, 04:46:11 PM »

Live .25 .50 cash game hand from the weekend - from memory so details might be off but broadly correct.

Nearing the end of the session quite a few larger stacks (relative to blinds) at the table. UTG + 1 makes standard raise to £2 or so (will do this most hands where he's first to act). Cutoff raises to £10. Given some stacks are only £20 or £30 this seems unusually large at this table. Small Blind calls. I'm on the Big Blind with pocket tens. I call. UTG + 1 calls. Flops comes K 8 9 rainbow. Small blind goes all-in for just over the size of the pot. Everyone else folds and he takes down the pot.

(He'll claim later that he had a pocket pair smaller than kings but...)

Players and stack sizes:

I'm down one buy-in but I've had a good session and currently sitting with over £200.

UTG + 1 is loose aggressive has me covered or near enough, ran over the table early on but has lost a couple of small pots to me recently and one big pot to someone else at the table so his stack is diminished from what it was and seems to be generally steaming / frustrated with my attempts to keep the pots small ie not pushing hands like top pair reasonable kicker.

Cutoff seems like a fairly solid, aggressive player, currently sitting with between £60 - £80. 

SB has recently joined table - we know that he's going to sit down for a bit then join a tournament, and we know that he's prepared to gamble in the hope of a quick double up. He sat down with £50 and maybe has about £60 after taking down one pot.

So, how do we feel about this hand? I figure my tens might be good against whatever the Sb's shoving with, but then again they might be up against jacks or a set hoping to get action against AK or something. But as I'm out of position with two other players, UTG+1 has a wide calling range here and the cutoff could similarly have a flopped set, king, or overpair, it's a fold.

On reflection I don't like my call. If I get lucky with a low board I bet if first to act, and possibly call the SB's shove. If I hit a set I'm golden. But I don't really like most other flops. My implied odds for setmining are good against UTG+1 if he catches something (and who I'm assuming will call the pre-flop raise) given his stack and current temperament, but they're not so good against the other two. I considered raising pre but two concerns: UTG + 1 has me covered and knows that I don't want to play for my whole stack so I might get re-raised if he's slow played a big hand. Similarly, if I raise it another £30 or so, then I think there's a fair chance that the player in the cutoff has an overpair or at the least a big ace and I'll be committed to calling his re-raise all-in.

Does this make it a fold pre? Or have I been too timid and tried to take the pot down before the flop?  How bad is the flat call out of position?
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 05:33:25 PM »

I don't know about anyone else but i found this difficult to follow, so im going to repost the hand and action if you don't mind.

Live cash game £.25/.5 NLHE

Stacks (approx)

UTG+1 £200
CO      £70
SB      £50
BB (Hero) £200

Hero is dealt 

Preflop: UTG+1 Raises to £2, CO Raises to £10, SB Calls £10, BB Calls £10, UTG +1 Calls £10

Flop (Pot = £40):   

Action: SB is all in for £40, Hero?Huh?

I think we have to fold here with two people to act behind us and the fact that we are probably not far ahead of sb's range if at all. Preflop is kind of marginal given the stacks, i don't hate folding here if we read the co to be solidish.
davidhendrie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 06:47:51 PM »

I don't mind at all, you've got it spot on. Sorry if the layout / extra detail was confusing rather than helpful.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 08:01:19 PM »

I fold here with the information available.  But that's 'cause I'm a nit.

Can't really see what I'd be hoping for on the flop, other than a ten - and you're out of position to everyone other than the SB after the flop.  I also can't really see a re-raise pre-flop here, not with tens.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 08:42:57 AM »

fold preflop or shove preflop. in this case fold most likely. also wp to kinfishi for reposting the hand.
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 10:31:26 AM »

fold preflop or shove preflop. in this case fold most likely. also wp to kinfishi for reposting the hand.

Ty alex, glad to see my work getting noticed, sigh.
Charlie44

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 04:57:57 PM »

Its a fold for me as well.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: