blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:44:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best of blonde
| | | |-+  Jeff "Jaffa Cake" Kimber: in the well
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jeff "Jaffa Cake" Kimber: in the well  (Read 70594 times)
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2008, 05:10:15 PM »

Top 3 tips for playing heads up poker?  Always best to be the aggressor?

Avoid playing Dan the Man obv

whats the other 2 tips?!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
BAM

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2008, 05:48:07 PM »

Why do you play the 100r GUK sats on Bluesq I would have thought you had a seat for these events anyway? but if not does your roll not cover a direct buy in rather than the pain of these sats?

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2008, 05:51:45 PM »

when you look at how your game has developed, what were the major changes you made to become a successful player?

How crucial is sponsorship to you? Are you at a financial stage now where would you play some circuit events without it?

What value do you think you provide as a sponsored player to your sponsor? Apart from playing the events that the sponsorship involves, what else does being sponsored obligate you to do? 

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Rivertony

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2008, 06:14:49 PM »

Just wanted to let you know Jeff and infact let the whole off blondepoker know that 'your my hero'. Peace
Pab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2008, 06:28:17 PM »

Having been successful online first and then in Live tournaments, what would say are the biggest differences between the two?

Do you find it easy to spot an 'internet' player at a live table and how would you approach them?

JaffaCake

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2008, 06:58:10 PM »

What did you do with your life before Facebook was invented?

there was life before facebook? i'm sure if anyone knows it's u copper
JaffaCake

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2008, 07:05:09 PM »

What's the best bit of advice a fellow poker player has ever given you?

Can’t really think of one bit of advice, but I definitely think that when I got to know the other Ladbrokes players in the early days (not pros, just regulars) , my game definitely improved through talking to the likes of ActionJack, Squelch, Iwan Jones, Micky147 etc etc, all of whom have varying styles which give good insight into how and why we play like we do. ActionJack will definitely be the one who gave me the best advice, the guy’s poker logic is second to none….he really should be winning more comps and getting the recognition he deserves. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that the best players seem to come from close groups, where they discuss hands, tactics and share info.
JaffaCake

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2008, 07:06:22 PM »

if you hypothetically had to, what would be your alcoholic intake limit before you ceased to operate on a human level?
not half as much as it was in my student days…but still probably double yours Shocked)
JaffaCake

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2008, 07:12:49 PM »

God look at this guy comparing himself to Michael Jordan, he is so far up his own arse....

Where do you see your life in 3yrs 5yrs and 10yrs time?
Or comparing McCool to me when I used to make up letters? There’s a backhanded insult there somewhere.

I have no idea on the future, I don’t like to think about it too much…poker is very results dependent…run good I’ll be living in the sunshine somewhere doing fk all, run bad I’ll be carrying buckets of water on my head for £6 an hour at Mick McCool’s farm

Does that mean in a roundabout way you are saying McCool has his head up his own arse?

As a regular on the 'UK Circuit' who do you reckon are the most overrated and most underrated players?

Lol, I have no interest in McCool…safe to say I won’t be writing blogs on him and using pics of him on my work. That’s as diplomatic as I can be after an afternoon in the pub!

It depends what u mean by underrated and overrated, as in by who? Themselves? There’s loads of players who think they’re better than they are, who talk good games but don’t necessarily play them. Those that are underrated I guess are players I’d expect to have a big result at some point. James Akenhead was definitely top of that list a year ago, but I guess he’s broken through with some biggies in the past six months. Another Hit Squadder, Sunny Chattha, always impresses me when I play with him, and I guess he’s yet to have that breakthough result…but you couldn’t call him underrated as plenty of top players know he can play.
JaffaCake

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2008, 07:26:53 PM »

Where do all the flies go in the winter?
Flies dies in cold weather. When they sense the climate changing, they have a reproductive surge, with babies in dormant pupa stage though the winter. I have to admit I didn’t know the answer to this one so I text 6336 so as to not disappoint you Kal.
JaffaCake

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2008, 07:27:56 PM »

In general yeah, best to be aggressive in all poker, but that doesn’t mean mindlessly pushing chips forward every time it’s your go in baboon-like fashion. I mix up my play quite a lot and find playing small ball can frustrate opponents, especially these young whipper snappers. Heads-up tournies are very different to heads-up at the end of an MTT, when the blinds and stack sizes are much changed. In a heads-up tourney I mix in some limps and folds on the button too. Generally though, be the aggressor, don’t create massive pots unless you’re sure of taking it down, be patient, it’s a marathon not a sprint, chipping away before taking a shot if often best.
JaffaCake

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2008, 07:28:56 PM »

Avoid playing Dan the Man obv
I only played him once, barely lost a hand and ended up world champ and with a comedy 100 grand cheque….I don’t have too bad a memories of that lol
JaffaCake

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2008, 07:29:54 PM »

Why do you play the 100r GUK sats on Bluesq I would have thought you had a seat for these events anyway? but if not does your roll not cover a direct buy in rather than the pain of these sats?
I am paid into the GUKPTs by Ladbrokes yeah, so when I win sats I keep the cash. I can afford to buy into most events but doesn’t mean I wouldn’t rather win a satellite in. RiverDave tells me there’s a history of running good while being in the well….I told him I played one tourney yesterday, that 100r sat, and got check-raised all in by AK on an AJ9 flop with me holding 999. Running KK FTW. In the well bok is born.
JaffaCake

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2008, 07:41:04 PM »

when you look at how your game has developed, what were the major changes you made to become a successful player?

I just think I learned more about the game, talking hands and tactics with other good players. I also made sure I won enough to take shots at satellites into big events, and managed to win a seat in the Ladbrokes Cruise main event in 2006 and spun that into $125k and a month later a seat in the WPT Shooting Stars in San Jose and brought home $110k. I felt I was ready to play bigger events and take on anyone…looking back I wasn’t half as good a player then as now, and while I don’t think I made any mistakes on the Cruise (basically lost AK v JJ four handed for the chip lead), I think if I had my time again I would play my exit hands differently in the WPT, and would definitely have made the TV final table and from there who knows.

How crucial is sponsorship to you? Are you at a financial stage now where would you play some circuit events without it?

I had a very well-paid job as a sports journalist, and giving that up without a deal would be a wrench. However, I’d had two years of earning more from poker than work, and when I was given the chance to sign with Laddies and basically secure myself financially, I couldn’t sign quick enough. With a bit of skilful manoeuvring I managed to get myself made redundant even after signing to play full time, so I left with a nice five-figure payoff too….run good. I could buy into most or all events, whether that’s a sensible thing to do is another matter.

What value do you think you provide as a sponsored player to your sponsor? Apart from playing the events that the sponsorship involves, what else does being sponsored obligate you to do? 
You’d probably have to ask Ladbrokes that. I certainly think it’s harder to get a deal if all you offer is the ability to play poker well, rather than be some kind of glamour model who plays cards or a bored actor or retired footballer famous for something else and looking for a new hobby. Certainly being a former journalist helps me though….at least if Ladbrokes send me halfway round the world for a tourney and I go out first hand, I can give them some value in terms of content for their website and write for magazines. The role of a sponsored player is changing, the good old days are certainly behind us, but it’s up to us to change and give the sites what they want (or clear off).

JaffaCake

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2008, 07:41:57 PM »

Just wanted to let you know Jeff and infact let the whole off blondepoker know that 'your my hero'. Peace

lol tx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: