blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:55:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  2012
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012  (Read 22145 times)
Sark79

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2008, 05:37:15 PM »

ah well, at least we all get a chance to go to the olympics before that fateful day.

exactly what I was thinking 
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2008, 05:45:40 PM »

The Mayans used to sacrifice people in order for their crops to grow, rain to fall, and to ensure the sun rose in the morning.

They got completely wrong as well.

We could give that a shot though...starting with people who believe this nonsense.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2008, 07:22:31 PM »

The Mayans used to sacrifice people in order for their crops to grow, rain to fall, and to ensure the sun rose in the morning.

They got completely wrong as well.

We could give that a shot though...starting with the Crow

good idea

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Delboy

If you never let me go, I will never let you down.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2008, 01:12:22 AM »

I agree with boldie(sigh)

I got a book out from the library about him, probably about 8 years ago now,

Theres a book about boldie!!!!!!?

'Still we sing with our heroes thirty three rounds a minute'
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2008, 01:22:15 AM »

The world did end on New Years Eve 1999.

Dewi started it back up again.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2008, 09:21:18 AM »

yep, full of predictions I made...I am hoping to start up a cult soon...one where there's no annoying kids allowed, no Christmas and it's Boxing day every day of the year.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2008, 07:16:35 PM »

yep, full of predictions I made...I am hoping to start up a cult soon...one where there's no annoying kids allowed, no Christmas and it's Boxing day every day of the year.

Boldie, there is no doubt.  You are a cult.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2008, 11:07:17 AM »

Boldie, there is no doubt.  You are a cult.

Damn skippy!

PocketLady
Northampton Nuts

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2008, 11:41:17 PM »

Boldie, I am happy to admit that yes, the interpretations of his quatrains are often altered and twisted to fit to historical events. And from what you've said about the Diana prediction I posted, yes you are right.  I've actually put quite a few of the quatrains through a translator (admittedly not that one...whoops), mainly the ones supposedly to do with our future,  because I knew a lot of them would be twisted to fit, and some of them have been and some haven't.  But the trouble is that all of the prophecies were left undated which means that people are going to have to guess as to when these things happened/are going to happen, and very often they are wrong, but that does not mean that they will never be right.  Yes, the world was supposed to end countless times already, like at turn of the millenium, but that one at least was only down a quatrain which states "near the turn of the great millenium", which in theory could refer to any time from 1980-2020 (or even a bigger margin if we think of the time scales.  Nostradamus was alive half a millenium ago)

The most recently discovered work of Nostradamus is dubed "The Lost Book" and contains many images and drawings which can be related to the galactic alignment that is going to take place on 21st Dec 2012, and obviously possible the end of the world.  Whether these drawings are yet another vague thing that can be attributed to anything the reader sees fit - I don't know enough about it to make any kind of informed judgement on that yet.

Contrary to how it may seem, I am not one of these people who will believe everything they're told.  I'm not even religious because I can't bring myself to blindly follow the path of someone who may or may not exist.  But I will keep an open mind.  Go back to ancient times and everyone thought the world was flat, and when it was suggested otherwise everyone cried out with laughter at this "ridiculous" theory.  Why?  Because it was something that to begin with their minds just couldn't comprehend.  Personally I think it is very small-minded to assume that current science is all there is and to dismiss things that don't seem possible as ridiculous.  Not so long ago we didn't even know that particles were made up of atoms so just imagine what we might discover in the future. 

I suppose the pessimist in me does actually think that WWIII is a very real possibility, mainly because of the ongoing tension between the East and the West, and partly because I think that humans as a race can be very stupid and we won't actually learn our lesson with regards to nuclear weapons etc until we blow the world to smitherines and realise what a massive mistake it was.  After that we might actually find the global peace and harmony a lot of the world has wanted for so long.  Whether it happens in 2012 though...only time will tell.

Nostradamus and his vague undated prophecies aside, there are still a number of hard facts which are just that, facts.

On 21st December 2012 there will be an alignment of the Sun, the Earth, and the centre of our galaxy which only happens once every 25,000 years.  No one has been around long enough to see what, if anything happens when this event occurs.

The Mayans (who were wrong about a lot of things, but even more accurate about calendars than we are) have ended their calendar on 21st Dec 2012.  Why?  We don't know, but a lot of other cycles in their calendars are like ours, related to the goings on in the heavens.  Some think the end of the long count is merely counting down to the galactic alignment, but then what is the significance of counting in 5000 year cycles?

- According to many scientists and even Einstein himself, the Earth is well overdue a global pole shift.  In fact, scientists have even proven that it has happened before!  Some even suggest that this is how Atlantis came to be lost.  Could it be related to the alignment of the galaxy?

Anyway, I'm not saying I believe the end of the world is coming, because I don't.  To quote a great film "No fate but what we make."  I just think we should keep an open mind about our future.  And I just think it's interesting...wouldn't it be cool if someone could predict the future?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 11:48:29 PM by PocketLady » Logged

bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2008, 11:44:57 PM »

What drugs do you take?
PocketLady
Northampton Nuts

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2008, 11:46:09 PM »

Lots and often. 

bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2008, 11:52:30 PM »

I hope this isn't a lie because you'd go down decidedly in my estimation if it was.
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2008, 11:54:53 PM »

I get the feeling it's what steven hawking might've been saying if he hadnt gone mental.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 11:57:43 PM by bolt pp » Logged
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2008, 12:00:07 AM »

The Mayans (who were wrong about a lot of things, but even more accurate about calendars than we are) have ended their calendar on 21st Dec 2012.  Why?  We don't know, but a lot of other cycles in their calendars are like ours, related to the goings on in the heavens.  Some think the end of the long count is merely counting down to the galactic alignment, but then what is the significance of counting in 5000 year cycles?

All calendars are man made, every number in all of them is an artificial construct.

A 5000 year cycle is no more significant than a 1000 year cycle or a 100 year cycle.

What they all do have in common is that groups have linked significant events to all of them, all the time, throughout history - purely based on the fact that they're particularly large and round numbers. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
PocketLady
Northampton Nuts

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2008, 12:03:08 AM »

All calendars are man made, every number in all of them is an artificial construct.

A 5000 year cycle is no more significant than a 1000 year cycle or a 100 year cycle.

What they all do have in common is that groups have linked significant events to all of them, all the time, throughout history - purely based on the fact that they're particularly large and round numbers. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Yes...but:

A day = a cycle of the Earth's rotation.
A month (roughly) = A cycle of the moon around the Earth.
A year = a cycle of the Earth's rotation around the Sun.

Ok, we get the numbers to fit and add in some units to make time keeping easier, but it's all based on astrological events.  In fact the only units we make up are small ones.  So a 5000 year cycle probably has some significance.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: